Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Roche 'Tour De Cure'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

This is the info I have:

Registration is at Midleton GAA club. Please arrive early as registration can take time.

7am: 160km & 100km event registration

8am: safety brifing for 160km & 100km event

8:30am: 160km & 100km event start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

I thought registration was 7am to 8am and the briefing is at 8 am. That means I get an extra hour in bed.

Its from 7 am - 8am . Sorry - i should have been clearer - the times i gave were the cut off time. I hope to get there for 7:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

This is the info I have:

Registration is at Midleton GAA club. Please arrive early as registration can take time.

7am: 160km & 100km event registration

8am: safety brifing for 160km & 100km event

8:30am: 160km & 100km event start.

Are you going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

jwshooter wrote: »
    the last time i was in cork ,is a story for another forum , any land marks near the gaa grounds .

longitude and latitude of it would be better for the garmin

I don't have the long/lat, but this is where the GAA ground is.

Are you going?

I sure am, I'll be the one that is last.... Looking forward to it but I reckon I'll feel every km, see you there.

Anyone know if we are to wear the event jersey during the cycle? One look at me and they'll say 'ah no, your fine out in your own one... dont want to be bringing the tone of the cycle down':rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

if we are to wear the event jersey during the cycle?

I don't know about that but ye better all dress warm. I have just been up The Vee and there's a northerly wind blowing that would cut you in half. Same wind forecast for tomorrow- it should be a bit sunnier though.

Gillet and armwarmers or full on softshell jacket you reckon? There was an absolute downpour an hour ago here and the temp dropped to about 8 degrees for half an hour. If similar hits tomorrow there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Gillet and armwarmers or full on softshell jacket you reckon? There was an absolute downpour an hour ago here and the temp dropped to about 8 degrees for half an hour. If similar hits tomorrow there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth....

+1 weeping and gritting..... It just hailstoned in Cork City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It just hailstoned

The only thing worse than climbing the Vee while its hail stoning is descending the Vee while its hail stoning:pac::pac:

I think I'll take my HTFU pills tonight and that will take care of everything

(Though I might pop a balaclava in my pocket too:o)

• Advertisement

Gillet and armwarmers or full on softshell jacket you reckon?

Hard to say. In sheltered spots when the sun comes out its quite balmy-removable layers might be best.
    I reckon it could actually be frosty first thing so I am going for bibtights and a l/s jersey and base with a pack-away jacket. I would prefer to be sweaty for a couple of hours late on than to be cold for the duration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Great day today very good managment but some idiot riders in the bunch who nearly took whole groups out and then when you try to offer some advise they fcuk you out of it.

Did the 165 which is 170 got 29.2 avg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Very well run event to-day, plenty of food and drink and a nice goody bag and jersey, bit of a headwind for the first half on the 100k, tough 5 km climb after Tallow. Hello again to the boardsies I met- Jumpy, Thebouldwhacker, Damoz, Jeff (or Geoff), Signalrabbit.
    Distance 104 kilometres, my time and average speed- 3h 47m at 26.6 kph.

Heya :)

Slightly slower than you at 25.7 :)

The tailwind on those hills was a godsend. All in all it was a much easier run than the Sean Kelly or Rebel Tour, must wait to see how the 165'ers fared.

Prob one of the best events I have been in, killer head wind for the first 100km but no rain and even a bit of sunshine. One down side was that it came in at 170km, those last 10km were a test (as were the flock of potholes near the end)... I was chatting to the man himself for a while after, he's one cool dude, you'd swear he had just popped in from next door for a cuppa except for the Audi sports car he arrived in. Then he gave up his bike for a draw to anyone who raised over €150, some prize! The jerseys are class and actually fit!
    So over all it was a great day. Good to meet a few new boardsies too. One not to miss in 2011!

I came in just over 6 hours including two food stops so over the moon with that esp with the wind factored in

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

I did the 50 and had a great time, good bunch of riders ran a soft pace on the way down, much faster on the way back. Although we did add to the route by not turning till Castlemartyr.

Hard to believe there were 1,200 riders out between 8.30 and 10.30 considering the superb organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the head wind was a killer along the coast ,the drag from tallow i did not mind ,i felt strong after it and let rip for the last 15k

why do lads pass you and sit up in your way in the middle of the lane .i dont know how many times i had to go around lads that had just passed me .

il do it again but stay down ,up from 4.30 a chinese and a glass of wine is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Prob one of the best events I have been in, killer head wind for the first 100km but no rain and even a bit of sunshine. One down side was that it came in at 170km, those last 10km were a test (as were the flock of potholes near the end)... I was chatting to the man himself for a while after, he's one cool dude, you'd swear he had just popped in from next door for a cuppa except for the Audi sports car he arrived in. Then he gave up his bike for a draw to anyone who raised over €150, some prize! The jerseys are class and actually fit!
    So over all it was a great day. Good to meet a few new boardsies too. One not to miss in 2011!

I came in just over 6 hours including two food stops so over the moon with that esp with the wind factored in

Are you talking about the same tour de cure I did in midleton today......?
    I thought it was brutal. Poorly organised from the start, poorly marshalled, terrible grub, awful road surface and overpriced considering. I couldn't advise anyone to do it.

Good to see a few boardsies out tho and at least the rain stayed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Hard to believe there were 1,200 riders out between 8.30 and 10.30 considering the superb organisation.

Nice! My first one. Wind killed me on the way out.

Only saw one boardsie jersey :(

• Advertisement

Different strokes, different folks:)

In fairness though what you have mentioned was pretty much outside their control, and I'd be interested in hearing what you are comparing it to?

The start was delayed coz people were late arriving, I got there for 7:15 walked straight in and reged, by 8 (when reg was to close) the Q was to the road, cant blame them for that.

Re marshaling I'm a big boy now and the few turns with no one there I managed myself by using the safe cross code;)

Re the roads, after last winter show me back roads without potholes, ring your local county councillor:p

On a more serious note the value for money was fantastic imo, a decent cycling jersey with good fit, I like the water bottle, a draw for Roaches bike worth 2/3 grand and to spend as much time with the man as you want. I Have no issue with the food, sambos, lucozade, cereal bars, cake,bananas, water bottles... For €50 (which went to charities) (and which you could fund raise so didnt have to come outa your pocket) what do you want? someone else to cycle it for you? Also repair vans and ambulances everywhere, massages, tea, coffee etc......but hey, like I said, different folks different strokes.

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy it, I loved it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Very badly run event, no food in ballymac or lismore when we got there, and there was plenty more riders behind us. No marshels and the only support seamed to be the cops and a kilgrew cycles van! I still enjoyed it but felt sorry for some of the people arriving in lismore to no food and a big climb to go! :pac:

Different strokes, different folks:)

In fairness though what you have mentioned was pretty much outside their control, and I'd be interested in hearing what you are comparing it to?

The start was delayed coz people were late arriving, I got there for 7:15 walked straight in and reged, by 8 (when reg was to close) the Q was to the road, cant blame them for that.

Re marshaling I'm a big boy now and the few turns with no one there I managed myself by using the safe cross code;)

Re the roads, after last winter show me back roads without potholes, ring your local county councillor:p

On a more serious note the value for money was fantastic imo, a decent cycling jersey with good fit, I like the water bottle, a draw for Roaches bike worth 2/3 grand and to spend as much time with the man as you want. I Have no issue with the food, sambos, lucozade, cereal bars, cake,bananas, water bottles... For €50 (which went to charities) (and which you could fund raise so didnt have to come outa your pocket) what do you want? someone else to cycle it for you? Also repair vans and ambulances everywhere, massages, tea, coffee etc......but hey, like I said, different folks different strokes.

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy it, I loved it:D

i normally dont stop

i was in lismore at 11.20@ no sambo left no cake "only water" ,.i had feck all from 5 am .

a banana would be something .

a BIG thumbs down there .thats the only problem i had .

the mt leinster challenge is on next weekend , lovely route and the best feed stop you would ever want ,with no fuss.

iv a question why does a dub have a tour in cork ?

jwshooter wrote: »

iv a question why does a dub have a tour in cork ?

Ahh its a Cork thing like:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Won't nitpick as I'm too tired after the 168Km!!!!!!!!!!, will reflect on it, poor road surface coming down from the Vee but won't blame the organisers just the county council. Was worried about the climb but that little kick out of Clonmel was vicious. Suffered from Lismore on even the small drags were like Everest.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32596871

Still very happy and hopefully can face the ROK a bit more confident.

PS As for other cyclists it was the lunatic who pulled out in a Golf GTI as I was hitting 40Km that nearly killed me.

Bouldwhacker where was tea/coffee.I could have murdered a cup.

T/C at the end in the GAA club, thanks for the garmin reading, I didnt realise there was so much climbing.
    well done on the time... I feel your pain, the last climbs were hard going but make it all the sweeter:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Muckers wrote: »
    Anyone on here who is doing the 100 or the 160 on Saturday,and is cycling on their own,but would like some company,then feel free to join Sportive Waterford CC en route. We have 5 or 6 riders in both distances and will be easily recognisable in our blue and white gear. We will hopefully cover the 160 at about 27 or 28 kph average.
    Fair play to Waterford CC, ye were true to your word, I was one of the stragglers that you picked up and carried through a lot of the 165k, Hadn't done a sportive as part of a disciplined group before and it really added to my enjoyment of the day.
    Personally I really enjoyed the day, stewarding and signposting were a big improvement on last year, but food was in short supply, glad I was carrying my own supplies.

I enjoyed the day(did 168 at 25.9 average)- despite some obvious issues already mentioned which could- and probably will- be ironed out for next year.

To be fair to the organizers they are feeling their way and learning-its only the second year and it was huge.They seem willing to to take on board constructive criticism- and have done already on Boards regarding registration costs etc.

Big well done to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Sorry Bouldwhacker , but I for one will not be pencilling in this event into my calendar for next year . Beautiful scenery , great weather no complaints about the marshalling or the service cars BUT no food in Ballymac (except a banana ) and a bottle of water ? Same in Lismore ...just not good enough , paid 40 euro for entry fee and 30 for petrol . Only a man gave me a nutrigrain bar in Lismore I would have had nothing to eat since 6 a.m. ( can't eat bananas unfortunately) ..........Big thumbs down from me , not I'd say that anybody would give a ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

I did the 50 and had a great time, good bunch of riders ran a soft pace on the way down, much faster on the way back. Although we did add to the route by not turning till Castlemartyr.

Was that you in the first group coming back? Think I was talking to you after, ye caused me to have a really confused last couple of km back after you overtook me when I thought you should be well ahead by then! There was me trying to figure out had I taken a shortcut somewhere along the way without realising it! Really nice pace going to Youghal, kept on thinking 'when are they going to take off', was faster on the way back alright, just couldn't stay with ye :-)

Likewise, was very disappointed with the food situation today. When I got to Ballymac all that was left were bananas and water. Lismore was the same.

It's probably the only black mark I have against the event. I've nothing to compare it to either, it was my first Sportive.

• Advertisement

dmg10 wrote: »
    Was that you in the first group coming back? Think I was talking to you after, ye caused me to have a really confused last couple of km back after you overtook me when I thought you should be well ahead by then! There was me trying to figure out had I taken a shortcut somewhere along the way without realising it! Really nice pace going to Youghal, kept on thinking 'when are they going to take off', was faster on the way back alright, just couldn't stay with ye :-)

Could have been, I was up front with a Midleton CC lad coming into Killeagh. I asked his if it was the first (traffic lights) right turn or the second one. He said it was the humpback bridge in Castlemartyr. Now this guy was on the pace the whole way down and back so I took his word for it. We turned right up to Mogeely and the right back toward the Two Mile Inn

I reckon it added 2km, one girl who dropped back was in front of us coming into Midleton.

Where did the tandem finish? They were right up the front until close to Killeagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

This was my first event on a road bike, i thought the event was well run andi had a fantastic spin on the 105km route. Dry conditions, a mostly friendly crowd. I did notice a few people doing a bit of wobbling in the middle of the pack and one person who was obviously of more experience maybe going overboard on the advise with lots of swearing thrown in. This i found strange on charity event. I did'nt find any issues with the food stops. A big thanks to waterford crew who i paced myself with for most of the event.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

T/C at the end in the GAA club

Well that's my fault,didn't call in there.

Ballymac when I got there did have sandwiches,bananas,lucozade sport.

Lismore was wiped out by the 100k cyclists when I got there, water and more bananas.

The jerseys, I ordered a XL,sadly I have given it to my son who is a size M as I must have put on huge muscle going up the Vee.:D:D:D:D

What is definite I'll sleep well tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

For whjat was my first sportif, i must say i thoroughly enjoyed this one...

Yeah road surface at time was pretty poor but as some1 said, nothing they could do about that..

Could only fault food stop at lismore where it was cleaned out when we arrived around 2!

Found myself thinking i must be crazy to be getting such enjoyment while the burning was setting in up the vee and the 5km climb outside tallow tho haha!

Was happy with my 28.3km/hr average in 6 hours cycling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

Could have been, I was up front with a Midleton CC lad coming into Killeagh. I asked his if it was the first (traffic lights) right turn or the second one. He said it was the humpback bridge in Castlemartyr. Now this guy was on the pace the whole way down and back so I took his word for it. We turned right up to Mogeely and the right back toward the Two Mile Inn

I reckon it added 2km, one girl who dropped back was in front of us coming into Midleton.

Where did the tandem finish? They were right up the front until close to Killeagh.

That was me you passed. Couldn't stay with the group on the long drag out of youghal, really must do some hillwork someday, legs had a temporary lapse, tried to get back up but ye were speeding along. The tandem was about 1k behind ye. From our brief chat I don't think they realised they'd taken the scenic route :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Thoroughly enjoyed the event - ok lack of food in Lismore was a bit annoying but I could see the organisers were trying really hard to deal with it, extra supplies arrived just as I was leaving. Have uploaded a video of the interview with Stephen Roche at the start below. It is a little hard to hear him so we will share the blame for that!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Have to agree with you all about the food stops.They were crap. Glad to hear that we in Sportive Waterford helped some of you along the way. I was in the 169k group and we had a group of about thirty of you with us doing the up and over at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Should have included this in the previous post but only getting used to uploading videos. This is the first two mins or so of the start:

Boardsie jersey at 2:27. Meeeee wooo.

In regards to the food, there was none at Lismore for us either, and some Nutri grain bars did arrive but people grabbed handfuls of them so they went in a second.

The only decently organised food I have had was at the Sean Kelly (as long as you dont count the queues, but there was like 3500 people so it was expected).
    They put the food in containers at the SK, and gave one each, there was a decent lot in the container so you couldnt complain, and it stopped greedy fecks from wolfing the lot before the other riders arrived.
    They should all do it this way and there wouldnt be an issue.
    Leaving them on platters and saying "go for it" is obviusly going to make it difficult for anyone except the first pack.

• Advertisement

Ermmmm, strange were we all at the same event?! I thought it was a great day, yes the winds were challenging and yes the roads were cat in places (better than down here though). The food stops were adequate, not great but certainly not poor compared to other events I've been on, they even supplied cereal,tea and coffee before the off. I usually bring my own bars just in case.

I think if people hadn't eaten since the early hours of the morning that's poor preparation, surely you could bring something to eat before the event started!

I do agree with peoples comments about cycling poorly in a group, it was a pain in the arse.

The Vee wasn't that bad in the end, stunning scenery, but the decent........................!

The free leg massage afterwards was a nice touch (pun intended).

Didn't see many Boardsies (where was Blorg!), well only three actually: Vectarman, Joff and The Bould Whacker ....cheers for the pills BW, they certainly helped and the gloves fit a treat.

Very pleased with the 6:28 time considering I had back problems and I for one will definitely be doing it next year.

My Jersey is too tight (XXL - I'm a fat bastard!) so if any one is looking for one they are more than welcome to it.

Yayyyyy, I'm on You Tube!!! I'm famous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

Overall a very good event. I did it last year too and think it has improved since then , particularly reversing the 100k route.
    I don't think there was any food stop on the 100k route last year but there was water and bananas near lismore.
    I got one of the last sandwiches at lismore this year but some were grabbing as many as the could. As someone else pointed out , the pre-packed meal on the SK is the way to go if possible.
    I would have preferred some water stops on the route - i saw none.
    Also i clocked 98km so a bit confused when i finally got to the finish (after been sent the wrong way at the last traffic lights by a marshall).
    Also thought it was a bit strange to pass the HQ to get to the finish , then turn around and head back to the HQ (GAA) against riders still coming into the finish.
    Yes the roads were terrible in places but every part of the country is the same.
    Can't hold the organisers responsible for that or the weather.
    The route was great , the event was great , sort out the food and water and the finish and it will be even better.
    The jersey is a great idea too as a souvenier and to promote the event and overall very good value for money.

Ermmmm, strange were we all at the same event?! I thought it was a great day, yes the winds were challenging and yes the roads were cat in places (better than down here though). The food stops were adequate, not great but certainly not poor compared to other events I've been on, they even supplied cereal,tea and coffee before the off. I usually bring my own bars just in case.

I think if people hadn't eaten since the early hours of the morning that's poor preparation, surely you could bring something to eat before the event started!

I do agree with peoples comments about cycling poorly in a group, it was a pain in the arse.

The Vee wasn't that bad in the end, stunning scenery, but the decent........................!

The free leg massage afterwards was a nice touch (pun intended).

Didn't see many Boardsies (where was Blorg!), well only three actually: Vectarman, Joff and The Bould Whacker ....cheers for the pills BW, they certainly helped and the gloves fit a treat.

Very pleased with the 6:28 time considering I had back problems and I for one will definitely be doing it next year.

My Jersey is too tight (XXL - I'm a fat bastard!) so if any one is looking for one they are more than welcome to it.

Yayyyyy, I'm on You Tube!!! I'm famous!

You won't convince me that the food stops were "not poorer than others I've been on " , I've done 2 Sean Kellys , 2 Comeragh CC sportives , Tour of Kilenny , Barrow Wheelers and Castlecomer Challenge . All excellenly run with great food stops . Food stops here were quite frankly horrendous . When you are that long on a bike ( me 6hrs 13 mins) you need food , and it just was not there for quite a few of us it seems at either Ballymac or Lismore . Didn't do it last year but from what I hear there was similar problems ? Sorry big thumbs down from me ............

I'll take that XXL if it's still going, the XL I got was tighter than I thought it would be - so if anyone would like it let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I thought it was brutal. Poorly organised from the start, poorly marshalled, terrible grub, awful road surface and overpriced considering. I couldn't advise anyone to do it.

Good to see a few boardsies out tho and at least the rain stayed away.

Your comments! OUT OF ORDER

i bought a club spin 11 in 1xl it fits fine the xxl is to tight ,im 6,1 and 13,5 stone and far from fat .

they should increase the sizes also .

the roads are a nation wide problem on a long spin your going be a bad stretch at some stage .

as for the food ,it would not have cost a hole lot to have a box of rolls and some cheese etc on stand by .

Plastik wrote: »
    I'll take that XXL if it's still going, the XL I got was tighter than I thought it would be - so if anyone would like it let me know :)

No problem. PM me your address and I'll post it out.

I thought it was brutal.
    Poorly organised from the start,
    Ok, I did the 50 and had no problems, I spoke with around 6 guys that did the hunderd and they had no problems.
    poorly marshalled,
    Again, the guys I spoke to said excellent marshalling on the way out, sporadic on the way back but after all, you should know the route.
    terrible grub,
    Tea, Coffee and cereal before the off, energy bar & powder in the bag, ok some riders did luck out on the food stops but there was refreshments served at the finish too.
    awful road surface
    and this differs from anywhere else on the island?
    and overpriced considering.
    considering what? the fact every penny went to charity? the fact that we got a jersey, a water bottle and the aforementioned refreshments. I reckon there's at least 1,000 participants who think it wasn't overpriced considering.
    I couldn't advise anyone to do it.
    That is your right, but a more balanced view wouldn't go amiss.

Ok, I did the 50 and had no problems, I spoke with around 6 guys that did the hunderd and they had no problems.

Again, the guys I spoke to said excellent marshalling on the way out, sporadic on the way back but after all, you should know the route.

Tea, Coffee and cereal before the off, energy bar & powder in the bag, ok some riders did luck out on the food stops but there was refreshments served at the finish too.

and this differs from anywhere else on the island?

considering what? the fact every penny went to charity? the fact that we got a jersey, a water bottle and the aforementioned refreshments. I reckon there's at least 1,000 participants who think it wasn't overpriced considering.

That is your right, but a more balanced view wouldn't go amiss.

As I said in an earlier post I had no problem with the marshalling , no problem with both the route and the back up vehicles ( thanks to the Kinsale bike shop for looking afer a lad I was with ) BUT whether it's pallettable for you to take ( and by your username you appear to be defending an event run in your own county ) the food stations for the 165 were abysmal . You seem to have done the 50K and anybody you talked to did the 100K , LOOK at the posts again ....the problems were on the 165K ??? Although I don't agree with everything the OP said , a certainly "more balanced view" would be that the food stations for such a prominent cycling event on the cycling calendar were nothing short of pathetic for those partaking in thre 165 k . This alone is my( and many others I might add) valid criticism of yesterday's event .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

Plastik wrote: »
    I'd be happy to take you up on your offer of spare XL jersey, didn't make it yest, grrr. - daddy taxi gig etc.

Advertisement