Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do dealers have to disclose accident history?

• 25-02-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I just acquired my Mam's 04 Megane and went to get a quote to have a couple of car park dings sorted. The nice guy at the body shop informed me that the dings were where the car had been in a smack and the panel in question had been (poorly) filled and sprayed before :( He reckons €650 to do a proper job on it (it's a rear quarter panel)
    Now, my Mam had it 18 months and has had no accidents. She bought it from Blanchardstown Renault and was never informed of any accident history with the car. It's still under their supplied warranty - is it worth calling them to ask if they knew about the accident and would they contribute to having the panel done right?

Failing that, can anyone recommend a few body shops in the Lucan area?? I'd like to get a few quotes.

Cheers, R :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If they know about it and you ask, yes . If they dont know or you dont ask (not 100% on the 2nd bit) , then no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It's up to the fella who traded it in to say whether it was in an accident or not. Unless it was very bad, it can be hard to tell.

The answer you will generally hear is "Not that I know of", because no matter how hard you try, you can never be 100% sure.

Again, if it was 18months ago, you've little or no chance of getting any compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

Yes, I suppose they may not have known. The guy from the body shop said he spotted it immediately, so you'd think they would have done too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Stekelly wrote: »
    If they know about it and you ask, yes . If they dont know or you dont ask (not 100% on the 2nd bit) , then no.

That was my understanding of it aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

I had a similar situation myself a good few years ago. Basically bought a 3-4 year old used car from a main dealer. Kept it for a couple of years. When I went to sell it the prospective buyer got it checked by the AA, who pointed out that it had been crashed and badly repaired at the front. Although it looked fine from the outside inspection of engine bay and chassis revealed possible structural damage.

I had specifically asked when buying it if the car had ever been in an accident and was told no.

I went back to the dealer in person, and they wouldn't entertain me. I took legal advice and wrote to them rejecting the car as "not fit for purpose and not of merchantable quality".

We exchanged several letters where they basically told me to f*** off. So I sued them. They settled on the steps of the court for the original amount i paid for the car plus my solicitors cost, essentially they bought the car back from me for what i paid for it.

For the icing on the cake, over the following few months i had several phone calls from people who were reference checking the car as they were thinking of buying it from the dealer. I took a lot of pleasure in making sure they were fully aware of the issues, i think they eventually sent it to auction as they couldn't get rid.

So, in a word, speak to your solicitor would be my advice. If they knowingly sold you a defective car and didn't honestly answer your queries then you have grounds for complaint. Be aware though that it took a year or more for my case to get sorted, and I was fortunate that i was able to afford to fight the case and to buy a new car to keep me mobile while i was waiting for the case to be settled.

Hope this helps

XDA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wasn't there a case last year where it was deemed that a dealer must know this information (somehow)?

Interesting read for buyers - http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Print-versions-of-guides/NCA_buying_a_car_guide_-_print_version_.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

Fair play to you XDA! I wouldn't mind going down that route - but to be honest my Mam would not have known to ask if the car had been in an accident. Funny how people get lulled into a false sense of security when buying "approved used cars" isn't it?
    I'll give them a call tomorrow anyway and see what they have to say. I'm sure they'll plead ignorance and claim that the repair may have been done since the purchase of the car :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

Ruatha wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I just acquired my Mam's 04 Megane and went to get a quote to have a couple of car park dings sorted. The nice guy at the body shop informed me that the dings were where the car had been in a smack and the panel in question had been (poorly) filled and sprayed before :( He reckons €650 to do a proper job on it (it's a rear quarter panel)
    Now, my Mam had it 18 months and has had no accidents. She bought it from Blanchardstown Renault and was never informed of any accident history with the car. It's still under their supplied warranty - is it worth calling them to ask if they knew about the accident and would they contribute to having the panel done right?

Failing that, can anyone recommend a few body shops in the Lucan area?? I'd like to get a few quotes.

Cheers, R :)

Certainly ask the dealer in queation. There might have only been scrapes on this panel & the dealer had them repaired ( although badly). they may be able to direct you to who repaired it originally and help with cost. (unlikly IMO).
    the previous owner may have had it repaired prior to trading in, and salesman never spotted it. It might not be the Big Cover Up some are suggesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Morning all - in a similar situation except I just bought my car yesterday evening from the dealer. I can't believe I didn't spot the damage I'm normally very wary of these things although the sales guy kept distracting me while I was looking at it. Looks like there was some frontal and side damage to it on closer inspection and the front wings seem misaligned with the bumper.
    Haven't contacted the dealer yet just wondering if I have any comeback within this timeframe. Dealer said they will NCT the car next week current NCT isn't up until August.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Take it to an accident repair centre today and get their opinion on it before confronting the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Ruatha wrote: »
    Fair play to you XDA! I wouldn't mind going down that route - but to be honest my Mam would not have known to ask if the car had been in an accident. Funny how people get lulled into a false sense of security when buying "approved used cars" isn't it?
    I'll give them a call tomorrow anyway and see what they have to say. I'm sure they'll plead ignorance and claim that the repair may have been done since the purchase of the car :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yer mam got the car 18 months ago and has being using it since with no issues (i assume?). Its not until a professional points out that there was minimal sounding damage to a panel that you are now having an issue with your original purchase?
    Panel damage means shag all. Lots of cars on the roads have had some sort of panel damage that's being repaired.

If the issue is not causing some health and safety problems, take this as a lesson in buying cars and know what to ask again.

Now, if the car was a Bugatti veron and was bought as part of an investment portfolio, then, yes, chase the dealer....
    You live and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Please start a new thread. As with the above post, we don't want old topics dug up again, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement