Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOP 100 FANTASY books

Options
  • 25-02-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi,what do you think of their top 100,can't say that i agree.Yes feist,gemmel,rr martin and tim powers are among my favourite fantasy writers.
    I started hobb but could'nt stick with him.Might give him another chance.Seems to be highly praised on this site.

They have LOTR at numer 3(loved the films).But could not get into the books ,started LOTR 3 times,but gave up.

Who do you think that they should have included, but left out?.
    http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/top-100-fantasy-books

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

I've never read Hobb or Le Guin but the other three in the top 5 I'd agree with. But I'd have Feist and Jordan in there too. WOT at 22 is a bit of a disgrace really.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Sean Templar

a lot of the first eight are rubbish, nine and ten are good reads,i don't know how these web sites make up their lists.I can't see how terry pratchett,tolkien or grahame can be in the top ten.They can;t be seriousssssss?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

would have thought Pullman's His Dark Materials would have made higher than 39, certainly should have been higher than Harry Potter...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Some very odd choices there - I'd be pretty disgusted if it turned up on my forum! I mean putting the "Ascendants of Estorea" ahead of Tad William's magnificent "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy? The Duncton Chronicles 50 places ahead of "The Gunslinger"? Pullman below Potter and many others? Some nice choices - the Gormenghast trilogy and Tim Power's excellent "Anubis Gates" but the list is too much of an oddity to feel in any way a definitive guide to the best of fantasy.

In fact the selection of authors is odd - was it a public vote whereby fans of some authors pimped those books?
    I started hobb but could'nt stick with him.Might give him another chance.Seems to be highly praised on this site.
    Robin Hobb is a she. Her real name is Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden. She chose Robin Hobb purposely as an androgynous pseudynom. Very good writer but I wouldn't put "The Liveship Traders" at #1 (although it is an excellent series).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tawfee wrote: »
    would have thought Pullman's His Dark Materials would have made higher than 39, certainly should have been higher than Harry Potter...
    For that, and numerous other reasons I feel that particular list is all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The list is all over the place but as for what's on it it is pretty good. I don't agree with rankings, placing one before the next so I tend to ignore the numbers when I look at these things. There are plenty of very good titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

There's some seriously duff stuff on that list.

Advertisement