Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&W or Colour (+C&C)

Options
  • 25-02-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

Des Bishop was in the school today talking about cancer, in general, and his own personal experience... I don't know how, but even with such a topic, he made it funny and probably something more memorable than a normal talk would be.

I found out he'd be around earlier on in the day, and we had the talk for the last class...I managed to grab my camera at lunch :D

Just wondering about the B&W version, tbh I'm not too sure ever about b&w's!

Colour:
    3309914186_3c30ac7da9.jpg
    B&W:
    3310044108_b405503b7e.jpg

C&C also welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Lovely shot challengemaster! I love the way his eyes stand out...

Personaly for me the colour one does more than the B&W, dunno, something seems off on the B&W one, but can't put my finger on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

I would consider more contrast in the B&W version, and I would also drop more of the left side out - not too much but enough to get rid of some of the white background.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Def the colour one for me too... there is something in his eyes that doesn't seem to be there in the B&W. Good shot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Love the black and white one - it's a great shot and nice conversion. I'm guessing you've added in blacks / shadows. Eitherways I think it looks great. Having said that i'm going through my black and white phase and i'm not sure when if ever i'll come out of it :) - There's scant wrong with the colour either. Again a powerful image.

The crop is the only thing I'd think about. With the angle he was facing you, you've caught a little too much of one side of his body. Croping a little from the left side of the image might work well or it might look well as a square format allowing your to take out a smidgen of his shoulder/sleeve area at the left.

Good work. Now the challenge is to get it back to him and see if he'll be interested in using it. Or get an enlarged print of it to him and let him know that you're available for the next gig he does down your way. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I prefer the colour one because there are some parts of the face missing in the processed BW version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I rather the black and white,Don't know why just do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Colour one for me each time

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I like the colour one but the eyes look overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Please cut out the sniping or I will be issuing some holiday notices.

back on topic.

CM, I have to say I prefer the colour version, mainly because I find the black and white shot gives a very strong impression of gauntness. I like the vaguely silvery effect I get from it, but not having been there, I can't claim any great knowledge of how he looked, ie was he really that gaunt. it seems over emphasised to me. There's a part of me thinking I'd crop away part of the right (yes, I mean the right) to bring his face closer to the edge.

Interesting shots all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I prefer the Mono ..... but it has a look of being over sharpened to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

B&W is rockin' :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm a sucker for natural portrait and that one is brilliant.
    Colour for sure. The B+W does do anything for me. But the colour one...exemplary.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I prefer the colour tbh, but then I iz n00b! :)

Nice to have got the opportunity, and a nice pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Calina wrote: »
    Please cut out the sniping or I will be issuing some holiday notices.

back on topic.

CM, I have to say I prefer the colour version, mainly because I find the black and white shot gives a very strong impression of gauntness. I like the vaguely silvery effect I get from it, but not having been there, I can't claim any great knowledge of how he looked, ie was he really that gaunt. it seems over emphasised to me. There's a part of me thinking I'd crop away part of the right (yes, I mean the right) to bring his face closer to the edge.

Interesting shots all the same.

The black and white one does make him look gaunter, he was taking about cancer? Is he sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The black and white one does make him look gaunter, he was taking about cancer? Is he sick?

There's been no mention of it.

B/W conversions can do that particularly with destructive processing / processing which pushes the levels, contrasts, brightness, etc...

Still B/W by a long shot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Colour hands down, I think and I put this politely and as featherish as possible that there may have been a tad overwork on the BW version.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

My opinion on the shots, i actually think that the PP on the B&W one is too much. I like the colour one, the eyes stand out definitely and theres nice DOF. But i think the B&W is way to contrasty for my liking.

What was he like? He's a very funny bast*rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The reason Des was talking about cancer was that he had testicular cancer when he was 24. He was making it clear to students about cancer and what options were available, how he dealed with his own situation, and so on, so forth. As far as I know, He's fine now.. (but missing leftie) - Doing a Gig tonight in Tullamore, so it suited his schedule to visit the school for a talk.

Must say, despite it being so personal and serious topic, he sure did make a right laugh out of everything... it was nearly like a free ticket to a gig :D Was an absolute pleasure to meet the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Fair play to him for taking the time to educate young people re cancer,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Colour is much better, adds more life to it. Maybe the B&W would work if it didn't have as much pp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The black and white makes for a sad shot of Des, almost as if he is still sick himself.

It think the colour one puts across more of his personality and from having met the man myself, definitely gets the life in his eyes.

Great work mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I prefer the Colour one but the B&W is growing on me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

+1 for the colour. Also great shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

Great shots challengemaster!!! First on does it for me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I think its a good shot nice expression very natural. I think you have overdone the eyes though to the point they take away from the portrait. I prefer the color the B+W has too much contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Colour for me.

Too much contrast in the B+W, it's a bit too blasted with contrast for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Normally I prefer b&w but here the colour has the better impact especially with the colour of the eyes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I much prefer the colour version I have to say,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Colour definitely. Great stuff.

The B&W has some nice PP, but not my taste for a portrait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Prefer the colour myself.

I think they both look oversharpened, which is more pronounced on the B/W.

Advertisement