Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Fishing Specials Back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

damn them supplying the poachers of Ireland with that crap :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I haven't checked their terms and conditions, but I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll sell to non-poachers as well ;)

the stuff they sell is crap don't buy it.

come on they are selling filleting knives and crap gear...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Lads I bought shed loads of gear last year so here show they held up after 12 months.

The boat road, The rod unbreakable but the reel broke first trip, I've been using the line for making traces all year. You could get a far superior combo for around €70 in most shops. Do not buy unless you have a spare reel lying around.

The small telescopic trout rod around €15. Great light rod, Has got me trout, perch, wrasse and almost a pike on the Shannon, Excellent one for the kids or to have or keep in your car. Great light sport and comes with some great accessories

Pier style (pilk) spinning rod. One of the combos. Great rod, has and excellent cast. The reel not great but will last the year. Excellent accessories. One of the lads used his out on the boat all day too.

Fly rod, was €35 broke (but it was stood on) and caught me no fish. GGGrrrrrr

I got a carp rod which I have been using for sea shore spinning and bottom fishing, Caught a pike on it in Ramor and its so light dogfish feel like Tope!

All the accessory boxes are an unbelievable bargain, Just know which ones you want. Kept me in beads, swivels etc etc etc for almost the year, Im buying more this year.

The ling up to 14kg. The price is right but they stretch far too much and I debate the actual strength, Worth getting for back up maybe

I bought the rib dinghy and my Dads been out and about on it to and from the boat all year. Pity its not back it was an unbelievable bargain!

The waders. Mine are still waterproof! My friends leaked, but he could've fixed em. Not suitable for surf but would do you no harm in a calm river or on the lake

For me this year Ill prob get line, a lot of the boxes and maybe the beech caster, I shelled a lot of money for a beach caster this time last year and it broke and almost decapitated my friend, In the same session he broke his lidl beach caster, I bought an Aldi one later on in the year and I imagine they're of a similar quality, I let a friend borrow that and that broke but I don't know what the circumstances were ???????

Thats my two cents anyway and I am in no way affiliated with Lidl except that I love the chorizo they sell. I for one am glad the stuffs back because I have spent some serious cash during the year and its always good for picking up bits a pieces. Sometimes with the rods its hit and miss, people have mixed experiences

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

This is attractive only until it hits you with a memorable opportunity lost.
    You're going to lose a fish that for the rest of your life you will really wish you tooled up right.
    It could be the next lost fish, it could take a few years, but if you keep fishing it will happen.

Then there are the experienced friends that offer help and are willing to advise and opportunity to improve.
    But we have seen it all before, and know not to waste our time teaching someone who doesn't listen.

I took a friend out salmon fishing several years ago. He turned up with a cheapo rod, and a reel with a hex nut where the adjustable drag should be. I queried it, and he produced a spanner from his pocket and showed how he could still adjust the drag! I already knew enough to not bother inspecting the line, knots, swivels or hooks.
    Now in that place a take comes every seven times you fish there. And here I am with a carefree novice that is 100% certain to break 4 seconds after hookup. Salmon gets away with end gear still attached.
    If he had been properly prepared he would have been put fishing in the lie, told where to cast, how to retrieve, and at what point the take would come, and would have his 1st salmon that day or the week that followed.
    What actually happened was he was told "There's the river, it's got fish spread all over, fish away" and I went and caught a salmon and said "There you are, see, I told you, they're all over it. Hope you're having a good time"

He gave up fishing a while later saying it was boring. I guess he was bored watching the others catch all the fish.

An angler who has a careless attitude to his tackle's quality, will have the same attitute to all that he does. It pervades everything because he is the common factor. Careless about fish safety, careless about leaving line and hooks on the bankside, careless about leaving gates open allowing livestock out, and careless about respecting the locations that others discovered and entrust to him, he will blab it everywhere, because it doesn't matter to him.

What I am saying is this: Cheap tackle is a bad beginning. It leads in a bad direction, and you will not get where you want to get (in fishing) by following that road. Your companions on that road will be many but not be good anglers and will not help you much either.

[/end rant! ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Cormdogg wrote: »
    the reel broke first trip
    The line up to 14kg. The price is right but they stretch far too much
    The waders. Mine are still waterproof! My friends leaked

They sell crap gear, that's why it's so cheap, sometimes the stuff breaks first time, sometimes it lasts a year, it's disposable rubbish, which is what happens, it gets disposed off around the shores of our favourite venues.

Avoid. Argos would be a better starting point for less expensive starter kits.

I 100% agree to both comments above, even the cheapish gear in argos is MUCH better, stil wouldn't recommend it but it's better than the LIDL crap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Lidl hooks break very easily,not worth a cuss.
    They're usually hooks-to-nylon which arent my faourite owing to the amount of knot-tying and fiddling around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I got the "smuggler" style 4 piece fly rod early last year(30 quid). I was off to england for a week and figured I could get in some fishing if any presented itself, but didn't want to risk my good rods on the plane. The rod itself was surprising good in use.

The reel was the usual cheapo placcy job. Spare spool though and since the trout I was likely to encounter were wild relatively small fellas, I didn't see the disadvantage there as I would tend to handline small ones in.

The floating line and the flies were crap though. Got shot of them. I prefer to use silk lines in the last few years, but a pressie of a cortland floating that I never thought I'd use was put to good use.

I was quite surprised with the multi piece rod. It suited me better than some of my mates more expensive rods that I've tried. Cast tight loops and felt less multi piece than some unmentioned big name multipiece rods I've tried in the past. Defo better than the equivalent argos job a mate of mine bought for occasional use. Again fly rod action is a very personal thing. My fave actioned rod is a 2 piece 7'6" B&W hexagraph, but although the Lidl one was quite different in feel, you can't go wrong for the price.

It amazes me how rods over the years have gotten so cheap at one end of the scale and how expensive at the other. My dads old late 80's Hardy graphite rod while obviously better finished is actually slightly below par compared to the Lidl one.

For occasional small river fishing you couldn't go far wrong chucking this in the luggage(with a better line). At 35 quid, even if the monkeys in baggage handling wreck it, no loss. If they had them again I'd probably speculate another 35 quid as a spare.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

my advice fwiw...

buy the best tackle that you can afford...if that happens to be
    lidl brand or what ever,if it gets you and /or your kids on the water
    then its worth it....if you are going to stick with it for the long haul
    then you will find yourself investing more of your 'hard earned'.
    I've been fishing for 30+years now and when i think back on some
    of the crap gear i had when i began....well lets just say if i had been
    a 'tackle snob' i probably would never have cast a line.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Craven

Last year I bought the surf rod and several tackle boxes. I found them excellent. I have used the rod all last summer without a problem.

I was so impressed that I bought the boat rod today. I tried using the surf rod from a 6.5 M RIB with hilarious results. I ended up borrowing a boat rod that day. Fair enough, surf rods are not ment to be used in a boat.

I am new to fishing with rods so bear that in mind. Growing up in Connemara we used a "dorú". It is a simple frame with a line wound around it. The line is dropped over the side of a boat.

Using Lidl gear I have caugh many fish and had many good days fishing. That's my 0.02 euro's worth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

dardevle wrote: »
    .... buy the best tackle that you can afford...if that happens to be lidl brand or what ever,if it gets you and /or your kids on the water then its worth it....

Good advice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dardevle wrote: »
    I've been fishing for 30+years now and when i think back on some
    of the crap gear i had when i began....well lets just say if i had been
    a 'tackle snob' i probably would never have cast a line.;)
    It reminds me of the time I met my dad to go fishing and I showed up with a very flash twin turbo, double overhead cam hi modulus very expensive fly rod. He looked at it, cast it, made agreeable enough noises as to its finish and action. Then he asked me how much it cost. I told him. He then said, "It's a lovely rod son and well may you wear, but how much did your fly cost, cos that's the only thing the trout see".

The oul git had a point:) He used the same split cane rod for over 50 years(in fairness a good one originally, but well past its best). He caught way more than I ever did and 90% of the time he used a dry fly(only about 4 patterns too). Whether there was fish moving at the surface or not he always seemed to tempt one up. Presentation, the quality of your terminal tackle and skill at reading the water is everything. More than once in my life I've been humbled by some bloke with a tatty fibre glass rod and the right flies and most importantly the right presentation and hunting instinct. In fly fishing anyway.

Obviously that goes for river trout. Lock into a bonefish or even one of our own turbo charged sea trout and you better have a good rod and reel(esp the latter).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

shblob wrote: »
    t

come on they are selling filleting knives

well lidl is a german company, what would you excpt:rolleyes:

supplying gear to all the FNs that are left in the country. Cant stand seeing FNs fishing on my local river the suck. (however i like to see the british there:D, great anglers and EVERYTHING goes back alive)

If you want to get good gear kinda cheap, should have went to the show in the national show center in feb, even though i havnt been there in 5 years!! last time i was there got loads of line, hooks, floats, feeders and hook links very cheap. got a casper 42 inch carp landing net for €25. Also got good advice from Matt Hayes, Des Taylor and Martin Bowler (all really sound guys)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Cormdogg wrote: »

The boat road, the reel broke first trip, I've been using the line for making traces all year.

Fly rod, was €35 broke (but it was stood on) and caught me no fish. GGGrrrrrr

For me this year Ill prob get line, a lot of the boxes and maybe the beech caster, I shelled a lot of money for a beach caster this time last year and it broke and almost decapitated my friend, In the same session he broke his lidl beach caster, I bought an Aldi one later on in the year and I imagine they're of a similar quality, I let a friend borrow that and that broke but I don't know what the circumstances were ???????

how in the jugs do you manage to break that much gear? I have an old 12' red wolf beachcaster that i bought for £21 back when i was in early secondary school about 10 years ago, and that broomstick still catches me fish today. ill admit that i have a very nice rod now to replace it, but old red still gets use as a reliable second rod. ive never broken a rod in normal use, only through people tripping on them in the shed and silly things the like.

my big mitchell boat reel did crap out though..

Advertisement