Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SU Elections 2009: Result thread

• 25-02-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

If anyone wants to know how the SU election counts are going, I'm gonna be here for the long haul and will be providing updates on this thread all night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

is Ron the Finance Rep?

I think RON has a busy year ahead of him, fecker ran for everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

First counts just started. St. Pat's Rep on one table and Finance officer on the other table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I'd say Simon Greene or Brian Murphy will win SU president.

Finance is currently being counted, but Gemma has commented there's a high number of spoils, about 300. They're currently being looked at by Brian Dillon's talley Stephen Staines.

Sean Dench is the St. Pat's Rep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

300 spoiled votes?? Is it normally that high? Lots of people drawing boobies on the ballot is it?

If they have to run the finance position election again, that would be lols.

Rons team must be delighted with 300 votes. For a bloke who did no postering or anything...

*Seriously but: the amount of mates who told me they spoiled that vote was shocking.

Maybe it's a protest against the government? Or did the SU put up the price of a pint? I'm leaning towards the latter...

Murphy
    Wright
    Broni
    are pretty solid bets?

I'd like Rob (not RON, Rob) to take Comms- reckon Eoin'll nick it in a close one though.
    I'd love to be wrong on this one.

As for everyone spoiling that vote, pure silliness and not surprising in a student vote. I'm sure Dustin and Bart Simpson polled too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Maybe I did spoil my vote after all..

• Advertisement

After an exhaustive count, Brian Dillon has been elected for Finance officer. Turned out in the end to be 101 spoils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    After an exhaustive count, Brian Dillon has been elected for Finance officer. Turned out in the end to be 101 spoils.

Anything creative?

Wasn't he running unopposed?

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Wasn't he running unopposed?

And he clearly kicked ass.

He's jewishly good with money!

efla wrote: »
    Anything creative?

Well, Gemma has declared that due to the volume of spoils, she is no longer considering them so.

And.....Joe Byrne elected as Irish Language and Cultural Affairs officer. Around 1600 for and 101 RON's.

Jeff Grene gets Ents....but only just over the quota.

Keith Broni is deliberating a recall.

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    Well, Gemma has declared that due to the volume of spoils, she is no longer considering them so.

And.....Joe Byrne elected as Irish Language and Cultural Affairs officer. Around 1600 for and 101 RON's.

Like the finance job, nobody ran against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i considered running for a position myself this year but decided against it, didn't think anyone would vote for a mature student

You should have run. I don't keep track of these things but I can't ever remember a mature student running for one of the main positions. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong

• Advertisement

Jeff Greene deemed elected for Ents officer on 2 consecutive counts.

Counting of VP/Comms and Dev has begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I'll be checking back in an hour so please keep it updated, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

Ahm, so tired I can't barely remember what's happened so far. VP Comms & Dev - Eoin was declared winner by a margin of I think just over a hundred votes...it's now gone to a recount called by Mandyonica who's behind him.

Nowhere near starting VP Welfare or President.

Right, Eoin Byrne has been declare Vp/Comms and Dev after the recount.

Counting has now moved to the SU venue, as the speakeasy needs to be opened this morning as usual. We're in here for the res, so when I get news I'll post it here.

First 2 counts in.

RON eliminated in 1st count.
    Joseph Donne eliminated in 2nd count.

This is where we stand @ 06:37 AM.

FYI, I am exhausted:P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

From JBoyle4eva last night http://www.mikadosoc.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48793&start=60

Fair play to everyone involved. Ye poor things. Ye all deserve a pat on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Seriously - up til 8am and still didn't get finished!? Feel sorry for the candidates! What the hell were they doing?! :eek:

I know there were a lot of candidates in the Sabbat positions, but how did it take til midnight to return two candidates? Esp since one was only the St Pats Rep (with a real small constituency).

What was the turn out this year? Was it massively higher than previously?
    Fair play to all who stayed who didn't have to be there alright though! Imagine being in one of the positions that has to sit around all day today waiting on the results...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

Apparently the turn out was about 3000 which is tons more than the last few years. A significant amount of spoils in everything that was counted was ridiculous. I can understand how emotional everyone must be out of tiredness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Damn, sorry Rob. Really wanted you in. :(

m-a-i- wrote: »
    Apparently the turn out was about 3000 which is tons more than the last few years.

Going by the thread on Mikado that you've linked to:
    Joe Byrne Got Irish Language and Cultural Affairs. 1600 or so for, and 101 RONs.
    Memory recall:

Jeff: 781
    Keith Broni: 680 something
    Quota: 750-775 (I didn't hear this)
    RON's: 110 or so

....I will get exact numbers later.

That's looking like a turn out of ~1700 for Irish Language and for Ents. Up on the average recently, but not hugely.

I know more people vote for sabbat positions, but was hardly another 1,300?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Feathers wrote: »
    Going by the thread on Mikado that you've linked to:

That's looking like a turn out of ~1700 for Irish Language and for Ents. Up on the average recently, but not hugely.

I know more people vote for sabbat positions, but was hardly another 1,300?

There were rumours flying about all day that a major record had been broken in terms of voter turn-out, with figures like 3,000 and even 4,000 being tossed about. However, the votes were as already in and around 1700 at most for each position.

I'm pretty annoyed at how the vote count had to be abridged. Yeah, it would have been madness to have kept on going what with everyone so damn wreaked, but seriously, we all shouldn't have had been there as long as we were, re-counts included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

Seriously - up til 8am and still didn't get finished!? Feel sorry for the candidates! What the hell were they doing?! :eek:

I know there were a lot of candidates in the Sabbat positions, but how did it take til midnight to return two candidates? Esp since one was only the St Pats Rep (with a real small constituency).

What was the turn out this year? Was it massively higher than previously?
    Fair play to all who stayed who didn't have to be there alright though! Imagine being in one of the positions that has to sit around all day today waiting on the results...

If you've ever been to a count, you'd know just how much work it is to count, recount, decide about spoils, recount... and so on. Esp when you consider there are so many candidates this year, and that only one gets knocked out per count, and then having to transfer votes (which I'm sure gets damn confusing by 3rd or 4th count).

I'm not really surprised that given the amount of candidates, and the turn out, that it's taken so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Damn, sorry Rob. Really wanted you in. :(

Out by 13 votes :rolleyes:

VP Welfare and Pres going on now. Will update as accordingly.

Also, VP Comms Dev is gonig for recount no. 3, which is awesome because I always hated sleep andway.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote:
    Out by 13 votes

Real unlucky mate - if it's in the last count, should definitely get a recount!
    nothing wrote: »
    If you've ever been to a count, you'd know just how much work it is to count, recount, decide about spoils, recount... and so on. Esp when you consider there are so many candidates this year, and that only one gets knocked out per count, and then having to transfer votes (which I'm sure gets damn confusing by 3rd or 4th count).

I'm not really surprised that given the amount of candidates, and the turn out, that it's taken so long.

I've been to lots of counts, that's why I'm surprised it has taken two days to do - it never did before. Plus, there were two less positions to be counted this year and no referenda.

What was the turnout? ~1,700 or was it near the 3,000 that was rumoured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

~1,700

+1

Yup, around 1,700.

Brian Murphy elected President with a ratio of nearly 2:1.

hardly crippling big so!

so anyone there at the minute - do we have finalised results on anything?

also, just looking - there's a potential spanner in the works here:

SCHEDULE 2: ELECTION PROCEDURE
    2.1 GENERAL PROCEDURE:
    • (f) The Returning Officer shall post notification of election results on all relevant notice boards within twenty-four hours of the close of polls. This shall include the following information:
      1. Total number of votes cast
      2. The number of votes cast for each candidate in each round.
      3. The number of spoiled votes received.
      4. A declaration that N was elected.

Polling closed at 6:30pm (approx) yesterday - which means results should have been posted by 6:30pm today on noticeboards for all positions. Which means the election is in breach of the election procedures? Leaving the door open for anyone to lodge a complaint... Wouldn't like to have to sort this one.

Ha! Nicely spotted.

But there has been one big spanner in the works. After a third person was eliminated from any category they went on to count their third preference votes and distributed those, when they really should have done it with their second preference votes. So VP Comms has to be counted again (this will be for the fourth time) tomorrow morning at 10, as well as any contested victory i.e. Jeff Greene vs Keith Broni, possibly one other one.

Liz won welfare, Anthony Doran 2nd, Sinead Wright 3rd, Joe Dunne 5th, Erin 6th. Can't remember the person who came 4th.

All other results posted by JBoyle (the wizard that he is, and who supplied me with caffiene for the evening!) are correct and final, AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

roflmao wow, just wow

Tristram wrote: »
    roflmao wow, just wow

+1. what do you say to that - what a mess.. :rolleyes:

@banquo - Jeez, you (& all the other candidates) must be going through hell with this one mate - two days later you'll finally find out the results!

+1
    +1. what do you say to that - what a mess.. :rolleyes:

@banquo - Jeez, you (& all the other candidates) must be going through hell with this one mate - two days later you'll finally find out the results!

:D

Ah no, I reckon I've lost. It's really between Eoin and Oneka at this stage.

I was joking last night that as soon as polling closed that I was going straight onto every forum I could find and saying as much bad stuff as I could about the college. A few people laughed, not sure they knew I was joking.

But yes. Count number four *collapses*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

banquo wrote: »
    Can't remember the person who came 4th.

Aisha Saeed I presume.

Hard luck Rob, disappointed you didn't win myself.

Hard luck banquo.

I voted for you Banquo, hard luck anyway.

:o My thanks to all. ;)

A great manifesto, some great ideas, but not enough lollipops mate :rolleyes:
    Fair play for giving it a go.

The real loser is The Spoke to be honest.

Advertisement