Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Football game under Floodlights

• 25-02-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hey all,
    was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to do or what would they do?
    There is an upcoming Football match (GAA) that im hoping to photograph problem is its under floodlights which renders my only distance lens Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 lens fairly unusable for the faster shutter speeds.
    I have a 100mm 2.8 Macro and the nifty fifty 1.8 which have apertures i could use. which one would you use or am i stumped :D
    I figure im going to have to boost the ISO fairly high no matter what i go for but is there anything else i can do ??

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

You might be stumped for zooming in and out - if you are touchline based (and not in a stand) then the lenses you mention might be OK for throw ins, free kicks near touchline etc.

With the telephoto you have, a very high ISO would be required - this would allow you to use faster shutter speeds but I think you will still get blur.

Use a monopod if you have one and bring a seat.

If the shots are not for publication then try the high ISO setting (while players are warming up) and make your decision before the game starts.

Also, don't crouch down for 45 minutes, sitting on your legs.

Have a look at this: http://www.flickr.com/groups/sportsphotographers/discuss/72157607550855190/

I did this once at a gaa match and couldn't walk due to pins and needles for 20 minutes!! Missed start of second half!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I shoot sport under floodlights most of the time.

High ISO is the only way to go. You'll have no choice.

As for lenses, try to borrow a 70-200mm f/2.8. Plenty of generous and friendly people on boards here (I've some games this weekend, otherwise I'd offer mine).

It won't be easy, but you will have to do the best you can. Maybe shooting slightly under-exposing and shooting raw might help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Hey

Thanks for the advice, i think i will be touchline based as its only local. I have a monopod which i will hopefully be bringing along and a higher ISO i think will be a given. no publication only for myself to get some practice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

As the game is at a GAA club venue rather than one of the major stadia then I'm afraid you are stumped.

While the lights my be adequet for playing under they most likely will not suitable for photography unless you have a fast lens 2.8 together with a high ISO.

You'll also encounter the dreaded hot and cold spots that will impact on your metering.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Paulw wrote: »
    I shoot sport under floodlights most of the time.

High ISO is the only way to go. You'll have no choice.

As for lenses, try to borrow a 70-200mm f/2.8. Plenty of generous and friendly people on boards here (I've some games this weekend, otherwise I'd offer mine).

It won't be easy, but you will have to do the best you can. Maybe shooting slightly under-exposing and shooting raw might help too.

Hey Paulw

I'm saving toward the 70-200mm 2.8 at the moment although with canon lens prices changing as often as our banks share prices i may be saving for some time yet :(
    i think as you say ill probably have to shoot under exposed to get the shutter speed i want and then recover the stops in PP.
    Thanks for your offer as you say the people on boards are always willing to help but i would be too scared with someone elses lens :D
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Yeah i'd have to agree with soccerc,lights at my local pitch compaered to Musgrave park or Thomond are totally different,so i assume it's the same with croke park and your local pitch..Your lens will be hunting alot i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Quite a few of the newer lights at G.A.A ground now are top quality. Some of the clubs have spent big money on T.V standard lights.
    You dont have to buy the Canon lens. Some people here use the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and there have been good reports. I use it and its great. Just could'nt afford the Canon version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

as long as your shutter speed is at least 1/125 you should be fine for football.

FWIW I love my canon F2.8L 70-200 I've had it for years but rarely use it these days.

Good luck.
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

LeoB wrote: »
    Quite a few of the newer lights at G.A.A ground now are top quality. Some of the clubs have spent big money on T.V standard lights.

TV quality lights are actually still quite poor for photography. You will still need to push your gear.
    Jasonw wrote: »
    as long as your shutter speed is at least 1/125 you should be fine for football.

I speed like that will actually be quite slow and would most probably introduce a good bit of blur. You really should be aiming for at least 1/320-1/400. To freeze motion, you should shoot at 1/focal length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

LeoB wrote: »

I'll echo what PaulW has already stated. Tv Quality lighting may not be sufficient for still photography.

A minimum lux value of 500 will accomodate a TV Camera but would not necessarily let you freeze the action.

Many League of Ireland grounds have lux value lighting of 600 min with a few close to 900 but one of the problems is the pylons are not tall enough resulting in hot and cold light spots as the light is not evenly distributed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement