Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There goes Zavvi. What do you wanna see next?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Zavvi is closed? I've been away for 2 months and the whole of town seems to have closed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I read in newspaper that hmv are takin zavvi over. *goes back to my sickbowl*

They are, but not just that store, the whole company. HMV are saving a few stores in Ireland, but the Cork one isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

We could do with another Subway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

One in Douglas would be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

One in Douglas would be unreal.

I think he was being sarcastic... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

The problem with these stores closing is that they leave behind either empty shops or (far, far, far worse in my opinion) cheap, horrible discount stores. For example:

Reads Newsagent has been replaced by a terrible 'Discount Denim' Store. Luckily the Leprechaun Store is moving in there shortly.

Across the way, Mango closed and has been replaced by a "Everything for €5 Store" ....wait, wait.....no it's "Everything for €2".

At the other end, the Euro2 shop has been replaced with a FAR, FAR crappier version of a discount store.

Next door, what used to be a travel agent is now a different store every week! Was selling very dodgy perfume before Christmas.

On North Main Street, Munster Furniture was replaced by another Discount Denim...and we saw what happened to that!

Dare I say it, these stores (with their tacky signage, etc.) are lowering the tone of the street....yes, I dare.
    We complained about O'Connell Street in Dublin being one big Burger King for long enough, the problem is, Patrick Street seems to be turning into one big Discount Store.

There is some hope on the horizon with the pretentiously named 'Opera Avenue' and the new Dunnes Stores. But, as HMV are going to take a spot there, is it just going to suck even more life out of the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

I would love to see the fellas section from BT move there.

Would be handy or else a big arcade like Dr Quirkies in O Connell Street

I agree with the poster above. These discount stores are awful and are ruining the image of Pana.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Gah, tell me about it. I thought that the €5 shop was just for the New Year sales. How wrong I was! Eyesore really:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

corkhero wrote: »
    I would love to see the fellas section from BT move there.

Would be handy or else a big arcade like Dr Quirkies in O Connell Street

I agree with the poster above. These discount stores are awful and are ruining the image of Pana.

Just goes to show the lack of regulations that exist in this country. Most European cities have very strict codes as to the type of shopfront and sign that can exist in their main shop streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

They should get rid of a few o those mobile phone shops. the ones that belong to a particular network first. then the crap phone warehouse.

they very rarely stock a few decent phones and if they do they're locked and the sim free one is hugely overpriced to make it seem like you're getting a good deal if you buy the locked ones because they get a generous 'kickback' from the network for selling a locked phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

how is that fat male how usually stands outside zavvi/argos with massive earphones and do be dancing.

Dancin' Dave? Last I saw of him was outside the gate Cinema kicking up a storm about something or other...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

CommieBaz wrote: »
    Dancin' Dave? Last I saw of him was outside the gate Cinema kicking up a storm about something or other...

I'd say they tried to boot him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

is he a bit tapped in the head or why does he be standing there dancing.

Advertisement