Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Trips to Enniskillen

Options
  • 25-02-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Spotted in the Weekender.

www.recessionbustours.ie

The coach leaves here at 8am to be in Asda, Enniskillen for 9.30am, they take your trolley/s and pack them up (bliss) and deliver them to your door in Sligo (double bliss) shortly after the bus gets back to town at 2pmish.

e20 all in.

The service starts Saturday the 7th.

I shall be partaking, have a mid year school-uniform crisis, so worth it for the savings on that alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Haha, I thought you were going to be offering these once you passed your driving exam :D

Awesome deal, imo. I wish I could do my shopping up north :(

(As it is I'm getting Tesco delivered tomorrow half price so I guess it's not the end of the world)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Xiney wrote: »
    Haha, I thought you were going to be offering these once you passed your driving exam :D

:D hmm...

If anyone ever hears me talking about a new business idea, please knock some sense into me, fast.
    Awesome deal, imo. I wish I could do my shopping up north :(

(As it is I'm getting Tesco delivered tomorrow half price so I guess it's not the end of the world)

Why don't Tesco deliver here? Galway is so posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

That was what I thought too! XD

But wow, that's some deal. I drove to Omagh for my Christmas shopping (no queues there and it's only an extra 20 miles) and it's really shocking how different the prices are.

*edit* and before anyone gives out about not supporting local I was dropping a friend home at the same time :P

fozzle wrote: »
    That was what I thought too! XD

But wow, that's some deal. I drove to Omagh for my Christmas shopping (no queues there and it's only an extra 20 miles) and it's really shocking how different the prices are.

*edit* and before anyone gives out about not supporting local I was dropping a friend home at the same time :P

I know Fozzle, I was waiting for the unpatriotic accusations (its early yet) but I can handle them. :cool:

/The roads are still safe from me. I had a lesson today and the person teaching me kept her hand on the handbrake the entire time...! Do you think she might be a little concerned?

/The roads are still safe from me. I had a lesson today and the person teaching me kept her hand on the handbrake the entire time...! Do you think she might be a little concerned?

Good god, really? If someone did that to me it would make me MORE nervous, and then I'd make more mistakes. This may be a horrible over-reaction but I think it might be worth trying another, calmer instructor. I'll pm you my old instructor's number.

• Advertisement

Its a friend Fozzle, she knows me so her actions are probably warranted! :-D Thanks though!

Its a friend Fozzle, she knows me so her actions are probably warranted! :-D Thanks though!
    :D fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

The bus doesn't stay in Enniskillen does it?

If its back for 2pm it must leave at about 12:30 which gives you three hours up there.
    It's probably cheaper to take your car really,but carbon emissions and all that craic.
    With your car you can leave Sligo when you want and stay as long as you want in Enniskillen,grab lunch and take a proper look around and then deliver your own shopping to your own door aswell.

Don't get me wrong,I think its a great idea and all but I cant seeing it taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

well, it most likely IS cheaper to go by car (and probably more convenient too)
    but Sue doesn't drive (yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've been tempted to drive to Enniskillen some weekend.. but that god-awful road is the only real thing stopping me.

• Advertisement

Oh I know that.Actually it give elderly people the opportunity to go up there as well who may not have the confidence to drive the road.

If only it stayed in Enniskillen about another 2 hours it would be more desirable.

basquille wrote: »
    I've been tempted to drive to Enniskillen some weekend.. but that god-awful road is the only real thing stopping me.

Once you drive it once you'll get over it and it wont bother you from then on.

Or you could go to Ballyshannon and into Enniskillen that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

After a trip there last week, it'll be a while before I'm back again. It was mad. Half the aisles in Asda you just couldn't get down.
    Half the things I wanted were out of stock. I'm not going again in a hurry...even the muvver was unimpressed and she usually loves it there.
    The bus service is a good idea as Mark says the elderly would probably make use of it, not great for the people that would normally fill the car full of things...imagine trying to lugg all that to the bus and 3 hours isn't long....I was queing in Asda for almost an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

€20 to go up to Enniskillen and shop where you'll save about €20 in total :/

and come back with a headache and the need for valium:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

true but the choice is far better then in sligo!! We even go there when it's dearer just for the choice and parking!!

Always go during the week and it saves you the headache and valium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Oh I know that.Actually it give elderly people the opportunity to go up there as well who may not have the confidence to drive the road.

If only it stayed in Enniskillen about another 2 hours it would be more desirable.

I used them in their Newry run and couldn't say a bad word about them, very professional. I booked another trip for 2 weeks time-saw the Sligo route ad again, but it says theyre coming back home at 3.
    ps.asda i think is even cheaper that sainsburys in newry where i went.

Come on the magpies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

With the cost of travel, I don't find the north that much cheaper... I don't eat processed food, so bulk buying fresh food is not really an option (as it'd go off by the time I get round to eating it all)... there's a cheapo place on the Mail Coach Road for household products (bog roll, washing up liquid etc).

If you've young kids, I hear it's worthwhile buying nappies up north & while the beer is a lot cheaper, if I bulk buy that, I'll just end up drinking more & not really saving very much at all!

With the cost of travel, I don't find the north that much cheaper... I don't eat processed food, so bulk buying fresh food is not really an option (as it'd go off by the time I get round to eating it all)... there's a cheapo place on the Mail Coach Road for household products (bog roll, washing up liquid etc).

If you've young kids, I hear it's worthwhile buying nappies up north & while the beer is a lot cheaper, if I bulk buy that, I'll just end up drinking more & not really saving very much at all!

We dont eat processed food either and make every thing from scratch that's why we go to enniskillen. we find that a lot of times we cant get the ingredients in sligo.

And for the time you travel I dont think it's really worth it, you really dont save that much unless you are going there for alcohol which we dont.

But for mattresses and elctric good etc it is well worth it! The same mattress in sligo was 300 euro dearer!! television was 400 euro cheaper. The mattress was home delivered for free which cost another 25 euro on top in sligo!!

My girls school trousers are e17.99 in Sligo or 2.98 sterling in Asda. I want four pairs, plus shirts, jumpers, tracksuits all a fraction of the cost here.

Have a mooch around the rest of the kids clothes, electrical, gadgets etc.

Stock up on cleaning stuff, toiletries, coffees etc.

Well worth it for me. I like that its not the full day, I'm not that into shopping that I would want to spend a day it.

• Advertisement

I used to like Tesco for the school uniforms...quite well priced and good quality too.

We dont eat processed food either and make every thing from scratch that's why we go to enniskillen. we find that a lot of times we cant get the ingredients in sligo.

And for the time you travel I dont think it's really worth it, you really dont save that much unless you are going there for alcohol which we dont.

But for mattresses and elctric good etc it is well worth it! The same mattress in sligo was 300 euro dearer!! television was 400 euro cheaper. The mattress was home delivered for free which cost another 25 euro on top in sligo!!

Yeah electrical stuff seems to be much cheaper up north but i haven't bought that much of stuff. Asda does a bit of stuff but i'd say up in the town there might be more bargains to be had, or the erneside shopping centre. It'd be perfect for shopping only for all the traffic, it's drive ye mad, no pun intended!

hammer1 wrote: »
    Yeah electrical stuff seems to be much cheaper up north but i haven't bought that much of stuff. Asda does a bit of stuff but i'd say up in the town there might be more bargains to be had, or the erneside shopping centre. It'd be perfect for shopping only for all the traffic, it's drive ye mad, no pun intended!

there is a curry's at the round about behind dunnes (there is a lidl and carpet right too

there is a curry's at the round about behind dunnes (there is a lidl and carpet right too

That's good to know, ye never see half the places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

magnumlady wrote: »
    After a trip there last week, it'll be a while before I'm back again. It was mad. Half the aisles in Asda you just couldn't get down.
    Half the things I wanted were out of stock. I'm not going again in a hurry...even the muvver was unimpressed and she usually loves it there.
    The bus service is a good idea as Mark says the elderly would probably make use of it, not great for the people that would normally fill the car full of things...imagine trying to lugg all that to the bus and 3 hours isn't long....I was queing in Asda for almost an hour!

Give Tesco a try if you want to avoid queues. It is dearer than Asda for many items, unfortunately, but it is much easier to walk around. And the drink is still cheaper than Sligo! (better choice of wines too).

Essexboy wrote: »
    Give Tesco a try if you want to avoid queues. It is dearer than Asda for many items, unfortunately, but it is much easier to walk around. And the drink is still cheaper than Sligo! (better choice of wines too).

We were looking at Tesco and it looked empty....but we were all shopped out by that time.
    I'm hoping not to go up for a while now.
    The only good thing about the trip was that I got snowballs:D (the little alcoholic drinks....haven't had those since I was a kid)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Spotted in the Weekender.

www.recessionbustours.ie

The coach leaves here at 8am to be in Asda, Enniskillen for 9.30am, they take your trolley/s and pack them up (bliss) and deliver them to your door in Sligo (double bliss) shortly after the bus gets back to town at 2pmish.

e20 all in.

The service starts Saturday the 7th.

I shall be partaking, have a mid year school-uniform crisis, so worth it for the savings on that alone.

Do ye think the upsurge of violence in Northern Ireland will effect the shopping trip numbers? I remember from before along with the human tragedy aspect for people living there which was heartbreaking, Enniskiilin was'nt a nice place to visit. (The heightened security patrols, bombscares road blocks take their toil) I know I will think twice already to bring my wee one up North. :( I would have been going to float around the town really, I like the little cake shops, craft and hardware. And theres a great new playground just at Blacklion too on the border.

tuppence wrote: »
    Do ye think the upsurge of violence in Northern Ireland will effect the shopping trip numbers? I remember from before along with the human tragedy aspect for people living there which was heartbreaking, Enniskiilin was'nt a nice place to visit. (The heightened security patrols, bombscares road blocks take their toil) I know I will think twice already to bring my wee one up North. :( I would have been going to float around the town really, I like the little cake shops, craft and hardware. And theres a great new playground just at Blacklion too on the border.

I think it will effect numbers going up there. We always went up during the 'troubles', but I know a lot of people that didn't. It used to be scary looking around the markets with low flying helicopters and soldiers going around.

I think it will effect numbers going up there. We always went up during the 'troubles', but I know a lot of people that didn't. It used to be scary looking around the markets with low flying helicopters and soldiers going around.

If you stop going you give them exactly what they want! And being scared is giving in! We had lots of terroist attacks in Holland (even recent by animal right activists, shooting a politican and moslim extremist stabbing and shooting a film director.) before that we had the rotte armee fraction and onkruit we never became scared going anywhere. Most people I know always booked trips to risk areas like basque country because they where cheap!

And above all that the sterling is getting lower again!! So yes we will be going!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Yes thats absolutely right, the low flying helicopters, road blocks, searches. I wouldnt blame anyone for decideing not to go or alternatively if they feel like they will head up. Its up to them. Everyday people make risk assesments. Alot have lived through it before and know exactly what it was like.

Nope I am not going to be intimadated but at the same time i wont try and make a political statement either by going up. So will wait and see.

Advertisement