Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York

• 25-02-2009 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

Brothers in NY at moment and i'm contemplating asking him to pick up dslr. Is it alot better value than here and what shops would ye reccomend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Brothers in NY at moment and i'm contemplating asking him to pick up dslr. Is it alot better value than here and what shops would ye reccomend?

I'd recommend only one - the best - it's like a sex shop for photogrpahers!

www.bhphotovideo.com - very close to Central Station and strangely enough there are a few real sex shops near it!

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Yep I've been to that shop, great range, highly reccomend! x.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Iaia

I have been in b&h before and ordered from there. Sooo big and great prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

www.bhphotovideo.com - very close to Central Station and strangely enough there are a few real sex shops near it!

Paul

Sex shops for photographers? Well Tokyo might beat it for that (I call them sex malls - both photographic and actual ones).

:cool: though taking that statement to its logical conclusion - does this mean that photogs should enter B&H in a trenchcoat and shades, buy some big packages that promises to increase performance, and hope that the wife doesn't find the bill/receipt? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Check out Adorama too, a lot of the time is cheaper than B&H, if only by a fiver and the staff are several times nicer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Can recommend B & H also... Got two lenses from there and 100% happy with them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Check out Adorama too, a lot of the time is cheaper than B&H, if only by a fiver and the staff are several times nicer :)

I'd second Adorama, quicker too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Paul

Best shop in the world, its closer to Penn Station and shuts on a saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

And at lunch on Friday's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

The prices aren't anywhere near as good anymore. Compared to buying in UK or Germany I mean. Maybe Gunns here would be the closest but the difference for the 5DMII not great ;-( Especially considering that you would want to buy a worldwide warranty as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I was in B+H two weeks ago, and yes, I felt dirty afterwards.....walked out with 2 large bags of stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

The savings are not what they were but still substantial Eos 40d in Dublin today €1,300 while the Adorama price $1,149.95 = €900 both with 17-85. You can get 40d kit with 28 - 135 and 2gig card for $1,049 = €823. They are good savings.
    Both Adorama and BHPhoto have decent websites. I have also heard staff in Adorama are nicer than BH Photo. I have been in neither but have some bits and pieces coming from Adorama in March. My wife would not trust me in New York, the camera shops that is:)

LeoB wrote: »
    The savings are not what they were but still substantial Eos 40d in Dublin today €1,300 while the Adorama price $1,149.95 = €900 both with 17-85. You can get 40d kit with 28 - 135 and 2gig card for $1,049 = €823. They are good savings.
    Both Adorama and BHPhoto have decent websites. I have also heard staff in Adorama are nicer than BH Photo. I have been in neither but have some bits and pieces coming from Adorama in March. My wife would not trust me in New York, the camera shops that is:)
    Comparing R of I prices to US prices is a bit daft to be honest. You can buy the 40D in the North for €815, body only Inc VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

thewing wrote: »
    I was in B+H two weeks ago, and yes, I felt dirty afterwards.....walked out with 2 large bags of stuff....

I told you it was like a sex shop for us 'togs!

Paul

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

savage deals on www.ebay.com if you are looking for a package

Valentia wrote: »
    Comparing R of I prices to US prices is a bit daft to be honest. You can buy the 40D in the North for €815, body only Inc VAT.
    Nothing daft about it to be honest especially if your IN NEW YORK:)

Nothing daft about it to be honest especially if your IN NEW YORK:)

Huh?

Huh?

Apologies if I came across a bit smart:o. Never my intention. As I stated I have some bits coming from N.Y which a work collegue is bringing back. Filters and memory cards. It makes sense., I think!

I must admit I dont think its as dear here as it was, some shops have made an effort, some appear not to really care where we consumers shop

Apologies if I came across a bit smart:o. Never my intention. As I stated I have some bits coming from N.Y which a work collegue is bringing back. Filters and memory cards. It makes sense., I think!

I must admit I dont think its as dear here as it was, some shops have made an effort, some appear not to really care where we consumers shop

No problem :) It's just that most retailers here are robbers. Gunns are decent though.

No problem :) It's just that most retailers here are robbers. Gunns are decent though.

I dont think many people here will disagree with you. (Have heard good reports about Gunns) There are some threads from last year where the value and cost of buying here was discussed.
    I would never have bought outside the state I always like to have a look at stuff before I spent money until a guy saw me putting batteries in a flash and he was stunned I was'nt using rechargables. He got me charger and 8 Batteries for £15 stg. I now only buy things here if I am stuck. Even allowing for a difference of 4% in V.A.T with U.K I cant see why we are so expensive. Greed?
    Why cant the camera shops form a co-op of sorts and import direct so cut out middle man? If Canon or Nikon dont like this dont stock their gear. I am sure Olympus or Sigma would jump if something like this happened. Ireland may not be a huge market but it could set a precedent.
    Didnt mean to go on so much:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement