Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL IN TRAMORE

Options
  • 25-02-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Anyone know what the opening offers are in lidl tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Same as everywhere else and available on www.lidl.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

No dont they do opening offers for new stores??

There are loads of instore offers that are not advertised........

Vacuum Cleaner - €29.99
    Ladies Golf Sets - 79.99 and 89.99
    Saucepan Sets - €29.99
    Flat Screen Computer Monitors - €99.99 (17" I think!)
    DVD Home Cinema systems
    Portable DVD players
    In Car DVD Players
    Fruit & Veg is all half price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dm69

what price is the fruit and veg tomorrow:D
    was up there this morning looked busy, some kind of a protest/picket on outside about jobs for locals!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

Hey folks isn't it just great with lidl and tesco on our doorstep:D lidl with there fruit n vedge half price today...just great....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dm69 wrote: »
    some kind of a protest/picket on outside about jobs for locals!!!

lol what? Seriously?!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

When i was up there yesterday i saw a local chap working there.

Sully wrote: »
    lol what? Seriously?!

yeah apparently some of the town commissioners held some kind of picket about the fact only 2 jobs out of 25 were given to people from tramore. it was mentioned on Beatfm/Wlrfm yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

i was up there yesterday was mobbed!!but its bigger then the 2 in town???

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

the fact only 2 jobs out of 25 were given to people from tramore. it was mentioned on Beatfm/Wlrfm yesterday morning.

I'm disgusted with this fact and don't think I'll be going there for this reason, sign of these crappy times. I'm assuming that 23 of those jobs are gone to Eastern europeans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

rasper wrote: »
    I'm disgusted with this fact and don't think I'll be going there for this reason, sign of these crappy times. I'm assuming that 23 of those jobs are gone to Eastern europeans.

Lidl have a decent employment record in general though, IIRC.

Id find it hard to believe they would be paying their staff any less then a local/Irish person so maybe it just came down to quality of CVs and what they were looking for?

Perhaps these 23 jobs went to persons not born in Tramore (like from Cork, Dublin, Latvia, Poland.....) but who now reside there!!!!

If a person from Cork got a job there would that be taking jobs from the locals too!

Lidl have a decent employment record in general though, IIRC.

Id find it hard to believe they would be paying their staff any less then a local/Irish person so maybe it just came down to quality of CVs and what they were looking for?

yeah that must be the reason they did not employ any irish;), nothing to do with the fact they dont recognise unions or the fact they look for a high turnover in staff so the rates never get above year 1 or 2 on pay scales, have a look at wikipedia if you think they have a decent emplotment record

yeah that must be the reason they did not employ any irish;), nothing to do with the fact they dont recognise unions or the fact they look for a high turnover in staff so the rates never get above year 1 or 2 on pay scales, have a look at wikipedia if you think they have a decent emplotment record

Lots of companys dont employ many Irish though. Lots of company dont recognise unions (such as Ryanair I think) either. :)

I get the impression Tramore people dont want change at all. First, they bitch about Tesco arriving. Now, Lidl. You would think that any business which increases competition and contributes to the local economy would be more then welcome to opening up in the town!

Edit: Amusing Wiki article I must say! Not a good record!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jobs are not given out. It could be the successful candidates were the best for the jobs in question? Lidl might also have a view that the locals would be slackers who turn up late, or under the weather, take time off for no good reason, moan alot in corners with others. etc etc. Not that I'm saying that would be the case.

Edit: Amusing Wiki article I must say! Not a good record!

Amusing to say the least - particularly in relation to the women having to wear headbands during their period so that they could be allowed extra toilet breaks!!!!!:confused:

First of all we know it wasn't people from Cork or Dublin that got the jobs over locals and it is more about foreignors doing unpaid overtime , not knowing rights, etc , etc that is why unemployed Irish workers are being bypassed for cheaper labour.
    Sure isn't this what happened in Gama & Irish ferries and a lot more to come,
    and I'm not whining about competition in Tramore as I welcome all forms of commerce , however the whole idea is sustaining the community so if an employer won't even hire Irish labour quiet franky we'd be better off sending it to Newry.
    Just my thoughts on on it and I'll save my principles rather than a few pence.

According to the News & Star the protest never happened. It was apparently going to be "by unnamed local retailers and their supporters concerned about the impact Lidl would have on their trading." (Didn't a local retailer object to Tesco also or was that the rumour mill?)

Apparently all the Tramore staff are "living locally or in other parts of Co. Waterford" and "43% holding an Irish passport". Exact figures are "91 applications in total (92% online, 8% by post) 25 interviews carried out"

In the statement Lidl released they said "Lidl is an equal opportunity employer. We find it grossly offensive towards all our staff members to suggest that factors such as nationality or gender should have an influence on the recruitment process"

In addition, one of the town councillors praised the opening of Lidl and commented on the rumours are about the picket being "akin to putting a picket on Anfield because not all Liverpool players were English" (Ann Marie Power, FG)

OK those figures are far more acceptable 43% vs 8% being Irish nationals (if thats what you call an Irish passport holder), trust me I'm glad that I've been corrected because the country as a whole would be in a lot more trouble if the original post was true and worse if people deemed it to be fair and reasonable behaviour from a business. Nothing would bring the inevitable tensions to a head quicker.

OK those figures are far more acceptable 43% vs 8% being Irish nationals (if thats what you call an Irish passport holder), trust me I'm glad that I've been corrected because the country as a whole would be in a lot more trouble if the original post was true and worse if people deemed it to be fair and reasonable behaviour from a business. Nothing would bring the inevitable tensions to a head quicker.

I think you are reading my figures incorrectly... The 8% was applications sent by post.

Its 43% with an Irish passport vs 57% without (I assume "without" is actually non-nationals and does not include people with no passport). Its a close figure and isn't as bad as originally claimed.

Plus the picket was nothing to do with locals not being employed and over local retailers fearing the impact on their store.

Now, I know of at least one retailer who strongly objected to Tesco's original plan to build by the racecourse which was pretty much dismissed (but Tesco lost the application to build anyway, as the inspector had a few concerns not really relating to the overall objections). That included a figure about how much the store would impact on its trading (a figure dismissed).

• Advertisement

So is possession of a valid passport now a prerequisite for a job in this country!!!

Under EU law all European citizens are entitled to live and work in any EU country.

I am assuming (correctly or otherwise) that the best candidates were hired for the available positions.

Is their actually a notion that Lidl or any other employer would hire an Irish person ahead of any other nationality regardless of ability?

If I was an employer I would hire whomever I felt was the best for the job regardless of nationality. However, if it came down to a choice of two people of equal ability I would hire a national over a non national!

The 8% figure I mentioned was from the original poster of 2 Irish nationals employed out of 25 positions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Funny, I went there a few times myself as I live literally just around the corner and the one thing that registered with me was there always seemed to be someone Irish at the till. Might have been coincidence, and of course it doesn't matter anyway as I'm not even Irish myself, but it did register with me as this does not seem to be the case with Lidl or Aldi in town.

I love the two new shops. All close by. Great selection between them and SuperValue can't take the p1ss anymore with regards to prices. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

scout353 wrote: »
    However, if it came down to a choice of two people of equal ability I would hire a national over a non national!

Really? I would go for whoever has bigger boobs. :D

Advertisement