Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midlands: New to Outdoor Pursuits

Options
  • 25-02-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi everyone

Against all odds, I've been bitten by the skiing bug over the last 5 years or so. And this has made me look around at the fantastic surroundings I have on my doorstep that I've never really properly explored or enjoyed (to my shame). With my job in trouble, skiing holidays may be a thing of the past and himself is abroad for work, so it's a good time to get out and meet new people too. I don't know anyone into outdoor activities that could introduce me to what might work for me and really am embarrassingly clueless, so I was hoping some of you might have suggestions.

Some info that may or may not be relevant:
    • Open to any ideas but I'm not a mad adrenalin junkie.
    • I can swim and I live near Lough Ree, the Shannon and have the Suck on my doorstep.
    • I only have ski-related outdoor clothes to date.
    • I'm 31 but a bit worried about my fitness level. I don't have a 'sporty' background at all and work in office based job but do try to keep fit.

I thought of hillwalking, kayaking or sailing but I really don't know what's involved in any of them. I've thought of an activity weekend but they look expensive and I don't want to look like an empty-headed billy-no-mates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

mountaineering.ie is a good place to start. They have a list of clubs in Ireland, I'm sure the one closest to you would be happy to help you out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Like the other post said www.mountaineering.ie is a good place to look for walking clubs. Don't be put off if a lot of the clubs seem to be of the older generation, as there are some clubs around with younger walkers. Let me know if you're having trouble finding a young club.
    www.canoeing.ie is a good place to look for canoe/kayak clubs. The canoe clubs range from gentle paddle trips to exciting white water, depending on what you're looking for.
    Check out www.discoverireland.ie/adventure for ideas of adventure breaks. I've found that people often come on adventure breaks by themselves, meet others over the weekend, then hook up in the future to do things together.
    You mentioned gear; here's a blog post with what I think is essential gear for either hiking or canoeing, http://tinyurl.com/bcprzv.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

Thanks everyone.

I'm leaning towards an activity weekend again. It probably is the quickest way for me to (hopefully!) find my niche :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

http://www.slievebloom.ie/walking.html

If you want to try out hillwalking this is great group. Winter walks depend on the weather, usually posted on the website but if you want to pm me your mobile number I can put your name on the text message list that goes out if there is a sunday walk. Otherwise summer walks start the may bank holiday weekend.

MissRibena wrote: »
    I thought of hillwalking, kayaking or sailing but I really don't know what's involved in any of them.

Might be a bit more needed for kayaking or sailing, but hillwalking is very simple to get into and very addictive. Only a novice myself, and frankly didn't want to get into a walking club and trek miles with people I don't hang around with. Just went for a few walks myself a few months back, then convinced about 5 drinking friends to come along once, and now we're hauling around the wilds of Kerry and really enjoying it every weekend. It's good crack, we get a bit of fitness and fresh air, there is a sense of achievement when its done, the scenery is amazing, there's no mobile phones or traffic, and it gives us something to talk about in the pub. Now 4 or 5 more want to join us, and again fellows who normally would spend a Saturday in a pub before looking for a party or a rave, not boring old coots. I say just do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 True Fitness

Hi!
    'True Fitness' is a company based on Portarlington, Co. Laois. We do kayaking, canoeing, hill walking and navigation, mountain biking, personal training, nutrition, sports specific training and much more. Our website (www.truefitness.ie) is under consrtuction at the moment but will be up and running towards the end of next week. In the mean time if you would like more information on any of our activities please contact Diane on 087 2388748 and I would be happy to help you with anything you would like to know.

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Diane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eimz

Hey, I just spotted what you were saying about the sunday walks and i'd be very interested in joining for a walk or two if possible. I live in the offaly area and would like to go on some walks nearer home with a group.
    My no is 086 8753534

http://www.slievebloom.ie/walking.html

If you want to try out hillwalking this is great group. Winter walks depend on the weather, usually posted on the website but if you want to pm me your mobile number I can put your name on the text message list that goes out if there is a sunday walk. Otherwise summer walks start the may bank holiday weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

There are 2 walks this sunday 26th april
    Slieve Bloom - Glendine West + Fearbreague. Assemble Community Centre Kinnitty @ 2pm - 6 miles, 3/4 hours, grade B
    Summer walks start next weekend with walking festival
    http://www.slievebloom.ie/images/walks_broc13.03.09.pdf

Ardara club also have a walk on Sunday
    http://www.ardarahillwalking.com/walks.html

Advertisement