Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Reputable drain company required

Options
  • 25-02-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I am looking for help with regard to drain cleaning. Can somebody please recommend a reputable company and maybe give indicative prices?

We have a blocked drain between two detached houses. This manifested itself two weeks ago with an unpleasant overflow in the laneway between the houses.
    We got Dyno-Rod out to unblock same. They kind of cleared the blockage and charged me €400 for the privilege.

I got no confidence in the worker's commitment or ability. He kept saying he wanted to rip up my decking in the garden to look for a manhole. I assured him that there was none under there and he finally relented and placed a high pressure hose into the drain between and in front of the houses. He then said he found the blockage and cleared it. This was two weeks ago. Now I have noticed the storm drain, the kitchen sink drain and the garage sink drain overflowing again.
    After being stung by the €400 for little over an hour, I went to woodies and got 1 litre of drainex, caustic soda and sewer rods and various accessories. After all the effort the blockage is still there but none of the unpleasant stuff as earlier(thank god!).

Is a camera survey required for this? if so how much are these surveys usually?

Thanks in advance....
    JK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Sorry, I meant to add that I am in the Dublin 3 area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Can u tell us a little about age of houses, any trees, particularly willow etc

Could be roots [ trees could be up to 20 feet away].

If laneway can big trucks go down and collapse drain....

Re the cause now: the new trend in blocking drains is baby wipes and facial wipes being put down the loo so have any of ur neighbors got a new baby or teenagers etc.

Fone a few places for the cost of the camera work: it varies

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Thanks Carlow,
    I forgot to add those details! The house is approx 60 years old, there are no trees/roots in surrounding gardens and there is no traffic.
    I suspect those wipes myself...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Would be carefull of using sewer rods from the likes of diy stores if there anything like the ones I got, plastic with brass screw on conection that is pinned. Thought I was doing well as it was only something like €4 per rod, that was until one of the connectors snapped off leaving one rod down the drain:o. Ended up using a guy called Ace drains(Brian) couldn't have done any more. Might be worth while when your ringing a round to ask if they have an hourly rate and what their call out charge is and if this includes the first hour. As mentioned by Carlow if your neighbours have young kids it might be worth while pointing out the down side of using wipes. I know the brother started using Kandoo(spelling) wipes as these seem to say they are oK(no more than 5 at a time) on there packaging.

Advertisement