Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money for travelling America

Options
  • 25-02-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Anybody here ever done a tour or such of the USA? Myself and a friend are thinking about doing a 3-week road trip of America, haven't decided to go the northern or southern route yet. Or if we'll go by car or public transport. Plan is in early stages so we're really just budgeting it out.

The main question therefore is money. I've never been to America, so I don't know how much things really cost. I'm talking day-to-day eating, staying in cheap hotels/motels, getting by? Anybody have an idea of a rough ballpark figure to hit for?

I know its quite vague but any help appreciated. We're thinking of hitting over in the late Summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Proxy wrote: »
    Anybody here ever done a tour or such of the USA? Myself and a friend are thinking about doing a 3-week road trip of America, haven't decided to go the northern or southern route yet. Or if we'll go by car or public transport. Plan is in early stages so we're really just budgeting it out.

The main question therefore is money. I've never been to America, so I don't know how much things really cost. I'm talking day-to-day eating, staying in cheap hotels/motels, getting by? Anybody have an idea of a rough ballpark figure to hit for?

I know its quite vague but any help appreciated. We're thinking of hitting over in the late Summer.

I travel across America in 2000 and I found that staying in places like Motel 6 was very reasonable.

In the first Motel 6 I stayed I picked up a little book with all their hotels listed in it, it was handy as that is what i used to decide where to stay the following night

Have a look at Motel 6 website and pick a few cities that you plan on visiting and you will get an idea about prices, there are lots of other similar chains that offer basic clean safe rooms at reasonable rates, some may be out of town but will more than likely be located close to retail parks with restaurants etc near by.

Food is more reasonable and much better quality than you will get in Ireland, there are many chain restaurants all over the place that you can get good grub for $10 or so.

Advertisement