Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are they doing on the Seamus Quirke Road?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

On the way home from work tonight the wide verge on the Seamus Quirke Road along by the Westside pitches was fenced off. A lot of pipes and stuff stacked up and ready to be laid.

Anyone know if they are just laying pipes or are they starting the upgrade work of the Seamus Quirke Road? It has been mentioned a few times lately in the local papers that this road will be upgraded this year (about time!) so I was just thinking/hoping that it could be the upgrade that they're starting now.

Anyone have any insight or get a better look than me at what was going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

That's what it must be so - the ESB laying cables.

I went to the shop to get milk a while ago and passed by it again. It did look more like pipe/cable laying than anything to do with a road upgrade.

I kind of got my hopes up a bit when I passed it the first time - I thought they might finally be starting work on the upgrade.

At least the ESB are laying their cables before the upgrade instead of coming along a couple of weeks after and digging up the brand new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I have noticed the ESB working there as well. Just wondering are they laying cables for the street lights for the new road widening? Will be good for traffic, but hell when we are trying to cross the road, especially bringing kids to and from school.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    I have noticed the ESB working there as well. Just wondering are they laying cables for the street lights for the new road widening? Will be good for traffic, but hell when we are trying to cross the road, especially bringing kids to and from school.

I don't think it should be worse for crossing the road. They're supposed to be putting in a pedestrian bridge near Dunnes/Aldi/The Church so it will be easier and safer there. You won't have to wait for the traffic lights to go green; just up and over the bridge as soon as you arrive at the crossing point.

Further up where the traffic lights are at Glen Dara - there will still be lights that pedestrians can cross at.

And I'm not sure but I think there could be another set of lights going in further up the road which would mean another crossing point for pedestrians.

It's impossible to cross that road without going to a set of lights as it is because it's so busy. Won't be any worse for pedestrians, in fact it could be better for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Is it not to do with their power station across from gleann dara?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Passed there yesterday and today and they are putting those big red pipes down. I too had hoped that the upgrade had started, but it doesnt look like it. I reckon that upgrade will be ****canned along with this countries future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SunnySideUp

Hey guys,
    Anybody know if there will be a bicycle lane on this road whenever they get around to the upgrade of the roads? They wonder why traffic is so bad in galway but its just not safe to cycle. I lived in dublin for a while and cycled everywhere - never had any problems, thankfully! It'd be great though if they could follow the bike lane on from distributor road, i for one would have no problem cycling to work then....when it's not raining!!!!!

Cycle paths are to be included in the upgrade according to this. That document is from 2002 though - some details of the scheme have probably changed since but I'd imagine that cycle paths will definitely be included still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SunnySideUp

Thanks for that KevR,
    Here's hoping they'll stick to their promises!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

KevR wrote: »
    Cycle paths are to be included in the upgrade according to this. That document is from 2002 though - some details of the scheme have probably changed since but I'd imagine that cycle paths will definitely be included still.

Great just what Galway needs. More cycle lanes that remain empty while cyclists clog up the adjacent road instead:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'd love to know how the corpo didn't CPO some of the ESB land at the Seamus Quirke Road/Shantalla Road junction to take the curve out of the junction and make it wider, safer, and more accessible.

As for the road works themselves, I hope that this time the people doing the work don't have their floodlights up all night blinding motorists coming off that junction and driving along Seamus Quirke Road. Several complaints went in last time as they had blocked the path so people had to walk on the road, but drivers couldn't see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's the feeder cable from the ESB Substation in Ballybane to the new substation in Rahoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

As is typical in Westside, someone had knocked down all the fencing yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

As is typical in Westside, someone had knocked down all the fencing yesterday morning.

Maybe it was the "wind"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

KevR wrote: »
    On the way home from work tonight the wide verge on the Seamus Quirke Road along by the Westside pitches was fenced off. A lot of pipes and stuff stacked up and ready to be laid.

Anyone know if they are just laying pipes or are they starting the upgrade work of the Seamus Quirke Road? It has been mentioned a few times lately in the local papers that this road will be upgraded this year (about time!) so I was just thinking/hoping that it could be the upgrade that they're starting now.

Anyone have any insight or get a better look than me at what was going on?

I know this upgrade begins at Arch Motors but where abouts does it end? Does it go all the way out as far as Salthill?

Advertisement