Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg Course

• 25-02-2009 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking for your ideas here. I'm planning a formal (well fairly formal) event that will be centered around a meal.

Due to the location of the event i'm thinking of having an Egg course as part of the meal. I have a few basic ideas but nothing is jumping out at me.

I'll be hiring professionals to do the preparation and cooking but would like to have a few ideas before discussing it with them.

I was thinking of a course where Egg is the main or only ingredient.

Thanks for your help people. I'm hoping you have some weird, wacky, odd ideas.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Still

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've got a great recipe for a starter of sorts that consists of tomatoes which have been scooped out and have an egg broken into it. Then you bake them in the oven until the egg is set.

It's kind of fun, and a little bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

souffle? sweet or savoury...

pavlova/meringue?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Tortilla omelette makes a substantial course... or any of dozens of frittata recipies.

Intrigued about the location!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

asparagus with a poached egg classic but yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Asparagus with hollandaise.
    Smoked haddock with poached egg.

Or you could go retro and serve 'egg in a cup', haven't had that in YEARS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Albert Roux has a cookbook about eggs - worth a browse if you can find it on the shelf in a big bookshop. Lots of inspiration in there.

Other ideas

Quails eggs with either celery salt or Dukkah - the Egyptian seed & nut mixture.

Risotto with poached egg - works well as a starter - a small quantity of hot leek risotto in a larger ramekin to half full - crack an egg into the dish and top with more risotto - parmaesan shavings on top and wallop under the grill for a few minutes to toast the cheese - the heat should cook the egg. The yolk will add a richness to the dish.

Eggs florentine - wilted spinach, poached egg maybe a piece of fish. Or a florentine risotto type of ramekin - wilted spinach in the bottom, egg next, top with white risotto, cheese and grill.

Fish tagine cooked in a big platter, potatoes, fish, spicy red sauce, crack some eggs into the dish and set them in a hot oven for a few minutes. The yolks are a good counter to the spicy sauce.

Quiche slice with a pile of salad leaves as a starter - quiche lorraine rich with cream, egg yolks and crispy salty bacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭still

Thanks all for your ideas.

I was thinking after that it could be either sweet or savoury.

Ill try and get a look at Albert Roux book if i can.

Location is an old hen house.

Thanks again

Still

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lconmara

Tea Eggs are all the rage now aren't they?

You do something to the shell and boil them in tea.

Supposed to be lovely and look great.

Google them...

Advertisement