Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 5800 or Samsung Pixon

• 25-02-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm currently on the 50 euro a month option with meteor.
    My contract is just up and i'm trying to decide which phone to get.
    Would people recommend the samsung pixon or the nokia 5800 or is there much of a difference at all really? I'm hoping to buy one on friday as the speaker just broke in my current samsung U600.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

is this a stupid question or something??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The Nokia 5800? Not this surely? http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_xpressmusic-2537.php I'm missing something here amn't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Definitely the nokia

yeah. is the nokia 5800 xpress music a lot better? I thought they were practically the same phone, very similar features but the samsung has an 8 MP camera. Is there something I'm missing here? sorry for my lack of knowledge!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Random wrote: »
    The Nokia 5800? Not this surely? http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_xpressmusic-2537.php I'm missing something here amn't I?

What do you mean missing something? Does the OP compare apples and pears or what is your opinion? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

colman1212 wrote: »
    yeah. is the nokia 5800 xpress music a lot better? I thought they were practically the same phone, very similar features but the samsung has an 8 MP camera. Is there something I'm missing here? sorry for my lack of knowledge!!

A comparison of both handsets' features can be found here. The main differences are as follows:

3.2 MP camera
    Wi-Fi
    Talk-time = 8.75 hrs

Pixon
    8 MP camera
    No Wifi
    Talk-time = 3.6 hrs

ok so I presume most people would go for the nokia based on the wifi feature then..

ok so I presume most people would go for the nokia based on the wifi feature then..

It all depends. While Wi-Fi is a nice feature to have on a handset, I don't use it at all on my handset.

You must also think about the menu system and software available on both handsets, as they're both different from each other. If you've used a Nokia E or N series handset before, then the 5800 will be easier to use than the Pixon.

It will all boil down to what you want from a handset. If the camera quality and the look of the Samsung suits you better, then the Pixon is the choice for you, however, if you want Wi-Fi and are used to Nokia's menu system and software, then the 5800 is for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No WiFi? Feck that.

I am due an upgrade on my work phone and they are offering the Pixon for €40. I was tempted, but I doubt I will now.

just down in the o2 shop and the guy working there said he'd go for the samsung pixon as its a much better phone.....

Seems to basically come down to camera vs 3G and better battery life.

Also I can stay on meteor if I take the pixon.
    Have to go to o2 if i want the 5800. tough choice...

• Advertisement

just down in the o2 shop and the guy working there said he'd go for the samsung pixon as its a much better phone.....

Both the 5800 and the Pixon are 3G/HSDPA capable handsets.

sorry i meant to say wi-fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres a lot of poor reports about the 5800 camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

If you want the 5800 on meteor just hold tough, it'll be on the network in the couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Interesting discussion this. Last week I looked on the Vodafone website and it said that the Pixon had WiFi and GPS. I bought the phone based on that and made my way to Starbucks to fiddle with it a bit and get some WiFi time, but there was no WiFi, so I brought it back a half hour later after having a good look around the phone. There also was no GPS. Cutting a long story short, VF had made a mistake on the website saying the Pixon had WiFi and GPS so I got a refund and bought the 5800 instead...

What this story boils down to is that I have used both phones in the last three days and I would definitely take the 5800 over the Pixon. Granted the Pixon has an 8mp camera, but that wasn't the selling feature for me, the WiFi was. If you don't have a standalone digital camera then the Pixon is an attractive choice, but if you already have a standalone, is it a selling point in itself?

As far as I can see the Pixon is basically a Tocco with a better camera. The feature set on the Pixon is weak compared to the Nokia, so is the accessories you get with it...

Pixon: Charger, stylus, PC cable, 1gb memory card (and possibly something else)
    5800: Charger, a stylus in the phone and a spare one, a plectrum stylus, TV-out cable, PC cable, rubber protective cover for the phone, folding stand for watching films etc... on the phone, wired remote control, set of headphones, 8gb memory card

Two very different accessory sets. Also if you are a Nokia user it's likely you will have a few chargers at home. If you never used a Samsung before you are looking at €28.00 for an additional charger if you want one...

I think the Tocco / Pixon is a very basic phone with basic features and menus, the 5800 has a shedload of features, menu familiarity (if you are a Nokia user already), plenty of options for configuration etc... not to mention the big WiFi selling point (which works fantastically I must say. I never thought I'd see the day where I was downloading a file on a phone at over 700kb/sec) and the GPS also.

Granted the camera is not as good on the 5800 but for me that wasn't an issue. To be honest I feel that if you compared an 8mp standalone camera and an 8mp camera phone the standalone would win out on quality any day, the phone models just don't seem to be able to cut it, but that's a separate issue for another day. So for me a camera phone is no big deal, even if it's an 8mp model.

At an upgrade price of €60.00, it was a no brainer as far as I was concerned. The next available phone with WiFi had an upgrade price of €209.00.

OP I hope you find this useful. Let us know what you go with and why.

All the best...

Head

Head wrote: »
    Interesting discussion this. Last week I looked on the Vodafone website and it said that the Pixon had WiFi and GPS. I bought the phone based on that and made my way to Starbucks to fiddle with it a bit and get some WiFi time, but there was no WiFi, so I brought it back a half hour later after having a good look around the phone. There also was no GPS. Cutting a long story short, VF had made a mistake on the website saying the Pixon had WiFi and GPS so I got a refund and bought the 5800 instead...

Head
    Although I do agree that Wi-Fi is a feature a lot of users look for, and should not have been mentioned on Vodafone's website with regard to the Samsung Pixon, the Pixon does have GPS capabilities as noted here, here and here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Although I do agree that Wi-Fi is a feature a lot of users look for, and should not have been mentioned on Vodafone's website with regard to the Samsung Pixon, the Pixon does have GPS capabilities as noted here, here and here.

Fair point about the GPS, thanks for the clarification. Clearly the guys in the VF shop hadn't done their sums as they didn't disagree with me when I said it didn't have GPS :rolleyes:. I just assumed it didnt as I couldn't find it in the time that I was using the phone...

Head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

you have to get the 5800 has way more features and better battery life
    , i know there have been some complaints about the camera , but as soon as you go into video , you'll be amazed at the quality

Head wrote: »
    Fair point about the GPS, thanks for the clarification. Clearly the guys in the VF shop hadn't done their sums as they didn't disagree with me when I said it didn't have GPS :rolleyes:. I just assumed it didnt as I couldn't find it in the time that I was using the phone...

Head

To be honest, you're better off looking online for handset information. I've found in my own experience that once it comes to sales reps, sales are all, and I mean all, they care about.

I'm glad you got things sorted and are happy with the 5800. From what you described regarding the accessories package, the 5800 is definitely the more fully featured in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Rsaeire wrote: »
    To be honest, you're better off looking online for handset information. I've found in my own experience that once it comes to sales reps, sales are all, and I mean all, they care about.

I'm glad you got things sorted and are happy with the 5800. From what you described regarding the accessories package, the 5800 is definitely the more fully featured in that regard.

I highly resent that remark. I'm one of said sale staff. Myself and the lads/girls I work with go out of our way to find the phone/package that suits people. I'd much rather sell you a high end bill pay package instead of cheap pay as you go phone for 30 quid. The reason a sales staff may not know every feature a phone has is cause not a single one of the different companies organises or even briefs on whats on a phone or what comes with it. I know VF staff are particualy hampered here cause they cant even open the boxes to see what comes with the phone. We generally have to rely on the net as well to find out exactly what comes with the phones or what it has, and I know alot of stores dont have open acess internet so cant read up on the product.

The only thing you really need to do when checking out a phone is ask questions. No sales staff in any company or line of work is gonna tell you a product is crap. You just have to see what theyre not saying. Ask for opinions and comparisons and you'll find alot of them will be more than honest.

• Advertisement

Cable wrote: »
    I highly resent that remark. I'm one of said sale staff. Myself and the lads/girls I work with go out of our way to find the phone/package that suits people. I'd much rather sell you a high end bill pay package instead of cheap pay as you go phone for 30 quid. The reason a sales staff may not know every feature a phone has is cause not a single one of the different companies organises or even briefs on whats on a phone or what comes with it. I know VF staff are particualy hampered here cause they cant even open the boxes to see what comes with the phone. We generally have to rely on the net as well to find out exactly what comes with the phones or what it has, and I know alot of stores dont have open acess internet so cant read up on the product.

The only thing you really need to do when checking out a phone is ask questions. No sales staff in any company or line of work is gonna tell you a product is crap. You just have to see what theyre not saying. Ask for opinions and comparisons and you'll find alot of them will be more than honest.
    Your resentment is duly noted, however, my opinion still remains the same. I can appreciate how a sales assistant in store may not have Internet access, but if their job is to sell handsets, then knowing as much as possible about the handsets they are meant to be selling should be high on their list; It's not as if the information isn't available via other means.

Back to the topic at hand. It seems the main consensus regarding both the 5800 and Pixon handsets is that the 5800 is the better featured and liked handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 danzo08

:rolleyes:can anyone tell me wen the nokia 5800 is coming to meteor network

Hi Guys,

I'm currently on the 50 euro a month option with meteor.
    My contract is just up and i'm trying to decide which phone to get.
    Would people recommend the samsung pixon or the nokia 5800 or is there much of a difference at all really? I'm hoping to buy one on friday as the speaker just broke in my current samsung U600.

wen is meteor getin the 5800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Cable wrote: »
    No sales staff in any company or line of work is gonna tell you a product is crap. You just have to see what theyre not saying. Ask for opinions and comparisons and you'll find alot of them will be more than honest.

On this note was pleasantly surprised a few months back when I overheard z CPW staff member warn a customer off a SE slider as other customers "were having nothing but trouble with them".

long_b wrote: »
    On this note was pleasantly surprised a few months back when I overheard z CPW staff member warn a customer off a SE slider as other customers "were having nothing but trouble with them".

do u no wen meteor is getn the 5800

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

danzo08 wrote: »

I didn't quite catch that. Could you repeat the question again there please.

do you no when meteor is getting the nokia 5800

long_b wrote: »

I find scenarios such as the one you mentioned can occur for one of two reasons:

1. The sales agent was concerned that the customer may have a bad experience if they chose the handset in question.

or

2. The sales agent was protecting their commission and knew that if the customer brought back their handset, they would have lose their commission.

I'll leave it up to you to decide which is the most likely scenario. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

do you no when meteor is getting the nokia 5800

I think he wants to know when meteor are getting the iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Please do not use text speak. If you use proper English, people might just respond to you.

Advertisement