Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about 18 year old offering psychiatric advice on Gumtree

• 25-02-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not quite sure if anything can be done about this. And also just to point out that this is in the UK as well, but I'm very concerned. Basically, under the Friends Wanted listings on Gumtree London, an 18 year old girl is offering her services as a free alternative to a psychiatrist to those suffering from "serious mental illness." She enjoys reading psychiatry books and thus has decided that she knows "a lot" about the field and would like to help those in need.

I know it is none of my business but aside from the serious moral issues about the unqualified preying on the weak and such - think of the possible harm that could be caused?

I reported her post to Gumtree and sent an email to the Royal College of Psychiatrists, but I was just wondering if anyone has a clue if this kind of thing can be stopped. I sent the girl an email myself explaining my concerns and informing her that I had sent her ad to the relevant bodies.

I received the following replies today -

"u're probably a psychiatrist ,that's why u're so ennoyed about my add.
    well i don't think i have the knowledge required to do a psychiatrist job . if that's what u thinking i just like to talk with people suffering from mental health problems and i like to help people...i'm not stealing your customers from u...
    don't be so negative. be happy man!"

"as u can see there is people finding my add helpfull and they don't want to go to someone like u, full of knowledge because they can't afford it or whereva...mind your bussiness i'm just trying to help"

and she forwarded this email that she had received.

Hi,

I'm male, 29, London (genuine person).

I really liked your Gumtree ad because you're the kind of person I'm looking for - someone who just has an interest in psychiatry.

I don't want to tell my friends and family about my problem, and I don't want to waste money a therapist who is just helping me because they're getting paid for it, so it would be amazing for me to meet someone like you from time to time, maybe over a coffee or going park or something like that.

I don't expect therapy or anything complicated, I just want someone to talk to and share my problems with, someone who will understand me.

But if you want to experiment with therapy procedures because you find it interesting, I would be fine with that.

I don't care whether or not you make mistakes or not lol.

I suffer from PTSD. I haven't been diagnosed by any medical professional, but basically I know what I have. I just want someone to talk to about it, a stranger that I can confide in, and someone who won't get bored (though I won't go on and on about it, promise ;)

I don't smoke, I don't drink and don't do any drugs, I don't take any medication, and I don't have any other problems, physical or mental. I am asian but I was born in London and have always lived here, so I hope that's not a problem.

Character-wise I am warm, sensitive, friendly, polite, non-aggressive, somewhere between shy and chatty :)

Okay really look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

S.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I've stumbled across people like this online, have an A level in psychology and swallowed the DSM IV. It's a bit worrying, really, 'cos sometimes vulnerable people take them seriously. Sometimes they have their own mental health problems and are somewhat manipulative as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Surely the BPS has regulations regarding unqualified persons offering psychological services? They could at least get the ad taken down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

That might be one of the scariest things I've ever seen, the potential for damage to people suffering from disorders, not to mention potentially dangerous situations, is mond-boggling.

Surely there is some way of getting those ads taken down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Glad to see it's not just me being oversensitive. I'll try and contact the BPS today, if just to pass her details on.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Jaysus! Someone with PTSD prepared to deal with an unqualified prat!! He is mad!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

another angle is, here is an 18 year old girl thinking about meeting up with a complete stranger... this could also be very dangerous for her:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Gumtree are usually really good about taking these sorts of ads down and banning people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

That is quite scary. As a trainee therapist, it is so scary regarding the lack of regulation in Ireland, but that ad just takes the biscuit :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

that is terrifying!!

kudos to you for reporting her.

I suffer from Complex PTSD, and it's taken years to get that diagnosis. Even the most experienced psychiatrists/psychologists have difficulty diagnosing and treating patients. What makes a dumb ass kid who can't even spell and has most likely memorised the DMS V think she can do anything?

Fair enough if she wants to have a chat with kids her age who suffer from the blues....there are plenty of message boards out there for that. I honestly dont think she has the first clue about serious mental illness. Severe schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, psychosis, depression etc is not something you mess around with for fun.

My other concern is the man who replied to her. Did anyone else think pervert?? His email sounded more like a personal ad than someone looking to chat online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

From what I've gathered, from my Ethics class, there's nothing to stop her or people like her offering their "services" when they are infact completely under qualified to do so. By her own admission she doesn't claim to have any relevant qualifications, just an "interest" in the area, so she's not giving anyone any false pretenses. However, I do certainly agree that most ordinary people who aren't familiar with the field and it's complexities are very vulnerable to people like her, and these hosting websites or forums shouldn't allow such content to be advertised. Hopefully by next year when manditory registration comes in it'll put a stop to scam-artists like her.

And yes I definetly did get a weird vibe off the respondant.

• Advertisement

*Simone* wrote: »
    Hopefully by next year when manditory registration comes in it'll put a stop to scam-artists like her.

It was in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

This is slightly deviating from the main topic, but just in regards to websites/forums allowing dangerous content to be displayed: I came across 'funadvice.com' and saw a number of topics relating to the following;

"I am 13 years old and I need to lose weight I dont care what anyones eles says just please tell me how to stay anorexic and like tips and stuff thanks or even for belemic thanks a lot I would like someone who is too so we can talk to comment me thanks"

Answered by mia4evr on Aug 05, 2007, 08:07PM

"Just concentrate on where you want your weight to be.

And buy clothes that are tiny and put them next to your normal size clothes so that you will be craving to fit into them

also drink tons of ice cold water...

and if your throwing up

then drink water before you eat,

and while you eat take small sips of water after a few bites.

and then when you are going to throw your food up stick your fingers as far back as you can... and if you gag keep them in... just kep them in until you puke...

have a lot more... but toomany tips."

And there seemed to be specific forums dedicated to topics like that. It amazes me that there's no moderator taking that kind of thing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

I know, it's really sick, but the reality of that matter is if they werent getting that advice online, they'd find kids with similar problems to themselves in real life and get that same advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

Hopefully by next year when manditory registration comes in it'll put a stop to scam-artists like her.

Can't see how it well to be honest. She makes no false claims and is completely upfront about her lack of qualifications. If she offered a psychological assessment or treatment under the auspices of being a psychologist (clinical, forensic, educational, counselling or other) she would be contravening registration. And there are plenty on non-psychology counselling services out there; most are well run like the Samaritans or school counselling programs but they don't pretend to be psychologists. This is an internet or any other media outlet issue. It's like tackling bullying on social networking sites - we need the site providers to be on the look-out.

taztastic wrote: »
    Can't see how it well to be honest. She makes no false claims and is completely upfront about her lack of qualifications. If she offered a psychological assessment or treatment under the auspices of being a psychologist (clinical, forensic, educational, counselling or other) she would be contravening registration. And there are plenty on non-psychology counselling services out there; most are well run like the Samaritans or school counselling programs but they don't pretend to be psychologists. This is an internet or any other media outlet issue. It's like tackling bullying on social networking sites - we need the site providers to be on the look-out.

It doesn't really matter if mandatory registration is brought in here because this case was in England. The internet is always going to be full of strange things like this and there's not much anyone can do for the reason's you've listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I seen another one on GUM**** This time he said he was qualified, and experianced. I emailed looking for his details, insurance and actuall qualifications and got no reply.This was the second email.He answered my first ...again, dangerous.Anyone can call themselves anything they want...madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jereminou

Hey everyone,

I strongly believe that this person could be a real danger to others if she/he believe she/he can afford to give people advice when they're not qualified to do so, but they also expose themselves to complete strangers who could be willing to inflict them harm. Anyway, I was just wondering if you could tell me of organisations that offer these services for free in Ireland (ideally in the South Dublin area) as I cannot afford it or the will to ask my family for help. I would be truly grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

orestes wrote: »
    That might be one of the scariest things I've ever seen, the potential for damage to people suffering from disorders, not to mention potentially dangerous situations, is mond-boggling.

Surely there is some way of getting those ads taken down?

I don't know about scariest things ever, but it is quite spooky I'll agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Very conscientious of you OP. Nice to know there are folk like that out there. It makes me think how dumb I am to give some idiots words too much weight on the web, well some are not stupid but as people have mentioned there are the subtle manipulators and bullies out there, who would have thought they'd be petty enough to do it on the wbe but as mentioned they may have their own problems.

Advertisement