Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB when business being operated from rented apartment?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if it's legal for a unit to be registered with the PRTB as a private residence when the property is being used to operate a business from? Don't think the landlord knows that the tenants are operating a sports clinic from the apartment but a someone who shares an entrance I'm not happy over the constant traffic of strangers through the block.

Have made contact with the management agent but the apartment is PRTB registered yet being used maybe 40-50% as a business premises. Surely this isn't right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Its not up to the PRTB, it depends on the terms of the lease, AFAIK if the place is still at least partially used as a home, then PRTB is nothing to do with it, its between the landlord and tenant.

That said, it could have implications for the landlord and indeed the businesses clients as its almost certain they are not insured with the correct level of insurance. Complain to the landlord or management company if you are unhappy.

I certainly recall that when they build the first apartment development in Swords, "Rapunzels Tower" as we called it, many of the units didn't originally make the then going price and were turned into offices, but I recall there was some kind of planning change involved as there were notices in the paper. It may also be against the zoning plan for the building, unless of course its already zoned as mixed use. It is quite possible of course that all parties are aware. Unfortunately if you are unfortunate enough to be a neighbour, you probably don't get much say in the matter except via the Management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Will do. I was thinking about the planning too. Ours is 100% residential with all units sold for about 4 years. This apartment is in the middle of a block so I'm certainly concerned about insurance and security, plus the leases say you can't operate a business from your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are likely to be in breach of their lease with their landlord and the landlord likely in breach of his lease to the management company.

Make a complaint to the "sports clinic" (I presume its not actually a brothel) and the management company / agent. If they don't do anything, you can make a complaint to the council (a) planning department for unauthorised use (b) finance department for unpaid rates.

Now, people are allowed work from home, but high levels of the public coming and going is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Management Agent has written to the landlord twice telling her the business has to stop but I saw the neighbour in therapist gear tonight meeting a client at the door. The website has the general development name but the actual address has been deleted. Does the MA have to go legal to get this stopped?

I don't want to be subsidising any business with my management fees and they're abusing our block insurance as well as raising security issues!

Advertisement