Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.25 Million "Roundabout"

Options
  • 25-02-2009 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

great new roundabout in ballymacool woods, letterkenny.

it was "roundabout" 1.25 million euro...thats all.

me smells a coverup.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

weiss wrote: »

me smells a coverup.

if that cost 1.25m, the old dunnes/oldtown roundabout must have cost 500000
    maybe they layed gold on the road and sprayed it black, money well spent.
    sure the country is loaded not panic..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

me smells a coverup.

Link or source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

http://www.highlandradio.com/news.php?articleid=000003608

I read a week or two ago that the centre feature was too high restricting the view of oncoming cars. So that had to be demolished and redone. I think something else had to be redone too. It sure doesn't look look like a 1.2m piece of work.

shayser wrote: »
    http://www.highlandradio.com/news.php?articleid=000003608

I read a week or two ago that the centre feature was too high restricting the view of oncoming cars. So that had to be demolished and redone. I think something else had to be redone too. It sure doesn't look look like a 1.2m piece of work.

That is an absolute disgrace, how can a major undertaking like a roundabout be designed wrong. Its not like we dont have enough of them already to learn from:rolleyes:
    Councillor Larkin says this is unacceptable and someone must be held responsible

I'll believe it when i see it.

C'mon, you don't complain when you're paid well..Larkin must know something more. ;)
    My guess is Larkin wasn't happy with his pay cut, so decided to phone highland radio and complain about it.

why else?

Just reread you comments, so i deleted my first reply. You obviously have an axe to grind, but unless you have something constructive to say rather than just pulling comments out of your ass, you actually take away from the point of the thread and that is that a huge amount of money was wasted.

I'll leave the rest;

One big problem with this recession and government backlash is we will lose good politicians, they might be few and far between, but still. A huge amount of corruption was going on during the boom days, now all politicians at every level are been met with the same disdain.

If you know something contrary, then by all means enlighten us.
    Scratch that, Muffler will no doubt be in housekeeping in the morning, this thread might need some.

• Advertisement

New Letterkenny roundabout drives motorists up the wall

Published Date: 23 January 2009
    Letterkenny Town Clerk, Paddy Doherty, has defended the erection of a wall on the new roundabout at Ballymacool which a number of locals have claimed hinders vision for motorists approaching it.

As work continues on the development, part of a landscaping plan in the area, one driver told the 'Democrat' this week: "You can't see over the wall, it's that high. Surely you need to be able to see every exit when you're driving up to a roundabou
    ADVERTISEMENT
    t such as this one?
    "It makes no sense having a wall this high when you can't see what's coming on the approach road."
    But yesterday, the Town Clerk said the roundabout and the wall formed part of an environmental upgrading in the locality. "All you need to see is the traffic coming from your right when you're on a roundabout, " Mr. Doherty insisted.
    Also reacting to the complaints, Town Councillor, Ciaran Brogan, said: "I drove around the roundabout last night and to be honest it looked as if it was a bit high.
    "But I'd have to say we should wait and see the finished product. David Donnelly has come up with designs for other roundabouts around Letterkenny including those at the Dry Arch and the Polestar roundabout. There were some who thought they wouldn't work and there were concerns expressed when they were being built but they definitely do the business.
    "David has done a fabulous job with them and I have no doubt when the Ballymacool roundabout is finished it will be the same," clr. Brogan declared.

This was one month before the Larkin statement.

Senna, a new site will be up soon.
    Free speech on issues related to Donegal politics/business will be promoted/priority.
    Any irrational threats of legal action will be completely ignored.(we're like FF, we don't care)

We're tired of the way things are.

Businesses are allowed to break the law anytime they want, but when we, (the public) do it, we receive a summons with threats of jail.
    I can go and rape/murder an innocent woman, then plead manslaughter, receive a few years in jail an be back on the streets..thats Irish justice.

I can molest a child for 10 years and get 5 years in jail...this is Ireland, the great Celtic Tiger.Aren't you just sick of these assholes in government talking about patriotism while they earn 300,000 p.a for nothing?

Anyone who tells you, "you're a moaner": remember - we're dealing with bullies, and bullies are easily beaten, but ONLY if you stand up to them.

A web forum related to Donegal SHOULD be allowed to discuss any issue you want related to Donegal, without fear of being BANNED, prosecuted..etc all that crap too familiar on boards.ie

right Muffler? don't worry, approval is not needed, site is on the way.

All i have to go on is your 4/5 posts here, but if your website is made up of comments like yours above, then what do you see the site achieving? I can come on there and say i heard of X,Y and Z, i could say i know of some business that done whatever, etc. But in reality i seen feck all and cant prove anything.

I assume if you have any actual solid facts or information then you would have already use it, i'd also assume you site will not be set up to provide fact. I'm all for freedom of speech, but a forum needs two types of posters, one to make the statement and the other to question the validity of it. You can make statements all day long, but people tire if there is nothing to back it up.

If you want to be a keyboard warrior, then the best of luck to you, but we have elected people at all levels representing Donegal, i'm sure you voted for one of more of them. If you think they are all corrupt then you are deluded, if you put half as much effort into talking to them as you did setting up a website, you might achieve something.

P.s Weren't you banned from here before? If you are who i think you are, you probably have a deluded scene of being silenced from speaking the truth. In truth you were just a dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I gather from media reports that this roundabout was a catelogue of mistakes, not just the wall, but cable laying etc that cost a huge amount as it wasn't planned properly.

The problem is that no one is held accountable as in the private sector, costing your company those kind of figures would see you sacked.

I will say one thing though. We have some good councillors, maybe not perfect but Senna is quite correct in saying that some good ones will get a backlash and be lost for Government and even councill staff mistakes.

I am very disappointed that Damian Blake has decided not to run again. He was very able, forward thinking and brought a renewed vigor to the council. He also seems quite honest and forthright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

i must admit to speaking incoherently, i've deleted those comments, Senna, I was drunk when i made them.

but there is a donegal "moaners" forum planned, thats true.
    Senna wrote:
    All i have to go on is your 4/5 posts here, but if your website is made up of comments like yours above, then what do you see the site achieving? I can come on there and say i heard of X,Y and Z, i could say i know of some business that done whatever, etc. But in reality i seen feck all and cant prove anything.

i won't be commenting at all, except maybe in the forum.
    I assume if you have any actual solid facts or information then you would have already use it, i'd also assume you site will not be set up to provide fact. I'm all for freedom of speech, but a forum needs two types of posters, one to make the statement and the other to question the validity of it. You can make statements all day long, but people tire if there is nothing to back it up.

solid facts? Senna, even when people are given "facts" its never enough.
    we already know that politicians are corrupt, haven't you been watching the news lately? its not a big secret, never has.

a roundabout does NOT cost 1.25 million euro, unless you have someone from the local donegal authorities in charge of the money.

Senna wrote:
    If you want to be a keyboard warrior, then the best of luck to you, but we have elected people at all levels representing Donegal, i'm sure you voted for one of more of them. If you think they are all corrupt then you are deluded, if you put half as much effort into talking to them as you did setting up a website, you might achieve something.

haha, "keyboard warrior" - is that how you'd describe yourself?
    and "you are deluded" is great stuff..i'm deluded that all are corrupt?

why don't you name me 1 who isn't, please?
    just 1..is that too much to ask?

btw, the "moaners" forum i talked about setting up won't have any debate input from me, i'm just handling the technical side of it.
    Senna wrote:
    P.s Weren't you banned from here before?

well, as you can see, i've just registered, i don't recall being banned, but no doubt i will be for trying to talk about a roundabout that costs 1.25 million euro.

obviously this is something we should forget all about, Senna and everyone in the country can keep deluding themselves that we can afford to spend money on such things.
    Senna wrote:
    If you are who i think you are, you probably have a deluded scene of being silenced from speaking the truth. In truth you were just a dose.

:D thanks, pal

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Tis a crap roundabout. I pass it all the time cos I live out in Dungloe. The roundabout is far too wide and is quite a tight turn especially if you're coming from the Letterkenny town direction. They should have made it into a two lane roundabout. If it really did cost 1.25m to build, they should have fixed up the junction for Churchill and Dungloe/Glenties. Those traffic cones have been there for about 4 years now and it's quite dangerous when they get blown over and you have to drive round them to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

i've deleted those comments, Senna, I was drunk when i made them.
    No excuse.

but there is a donegal "moaners" forum planned, thats true.
    And Im sure you will be the star attraction

i don't recall being banned, but no doubt i will be for trying to talk about a roundabout that costs 1.25 million euro.
    Right about the ban but that has nothing to do with the roundabout.

Take a little time to consider your input to this forum and just so you know there is no free speech allowed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Is that the new roundabout we stumbled over this week? Not been to Letterkenny for many months and came in from the Glenties side.

Did you hear about the Kilcar bridge farrago?

And the roundabout that never was in Killybegs?

Advertisement