Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please someone recommend a micro-ITX case

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to build a relatively nice little system using Intel's DG45FC ITX board and an E8400.
    I've spent the past week trawling through forums and different SFF sites trying to decide on a case. Basically I want something as small as possible that has or will take a 250W-300W PSU. Can anyone suggest anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344273

built a PC for a friend in this,nice handy little case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thanks for the reply but I'm looking for something smaller than matx.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What other components are you using? Knowing that will give a better idea of what you'll need power-wise. 250-300W PSUs are hard to find in a sub-TFX size, which you'll be dealing with given an mITX case. Another big problem is the CPU cooler - do you intend to undervolt the CPU to get a SFF cooler on it? Most mITX cases are too small to accomodate the Intel C2D stock HSF :o

I'm using the board and CPU mentioned, 2 x 2GB sticks, 1 x either 3.5" or 2.5", or 2.5"SSD HDD, DVD/RW - either laptop or desktop depending on case.

The Intel board manual recommends at least a 250W PSU for a system with same CPU, 1GB RAM, 1 HDD, 1 x DVD/RRW. Strangely it lists a 150W PSU for the same system that has 1 x 512MB RAM stick

It's seems hard to find an ITX case with a PSU of 250W - 300W. Although the board has a 24-pin power connector but is compatible with 20-pin PSU would using a 20-pin PSU make any difference to anything - standby or sleep states?

The stock CPU cooler I'm using is off one of the latest processors which is very low profile - about half the height of the original C2D coolers.

Try this page. Check out the three 250W JCP units. Sweet :D But I can't find PSU specs for them from anywhere :( In any case unless they're Pentium 3-generation PSUs (5V-centric) those cases and PSUs will happily border on overkill :)

A more local alternative is this slimline Antec from Elara. Not exactly what you're looking for (really a very small mATX case, but I've seen some Atom-based desktops ship in similar-sized plastic lumps) but well-cooled and with all the gubbins included as standard. The 350W PSU has plenty of connectors and is 80Plus.

I'll look for more cases a bit closer to home but at least HWVS ship here reliably (albeit expensively) :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help.

I was looking at this but PSU is on the tight side: http://www3.computeruniverse.net/products/e90282737/joujye-nu-0528i-mini-pc-case-220-watt.asp

Also Antec have brought out a few new ITX cases (incl ITX skeleton)but don't see them available anywhere yet.

Yeh, those JCP on HWV look good but seems very little info on them to be found and the shipping at €30 is a bit of a pain.

Not recommended. Although that case is small its a bit too tight; you can't mount a desktop-size HDD and even a laptop optical drive simultaneously. Worse, the PSU from that thing is the only one I can find data on and the news isn't good; only 12A (144W) max on the 12V rail. More modern TFX (Flex) PSUs have 90%+ amperage on the 12V rail, as you would expect from a modern ATX PSU (PCs nowadays rely very heavily on 12V power!). Efficiency is naff (dropping under 70% at times) and it lacks a 24pin connector. In other words its an obsolete early P4 model :( You might get away with it (the biggest single draw in your system is the CPU and its only rated at 65W anyway) but it might be heavily stressed under full load and with those efficiency figures...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Burgo wrote: »
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344273

built a PC for a friend in this,nice handy little case.

jan08210.jpg

itx?
    This is the case i use for the office server, it's gigantic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah i have this case myself it is pretty big tbh lots of roo inside it.

itx?
    This is the case i use for the office server, it's gigantic!

And I thought the NSK1480 was big for this build! :D:p

Another stab in the dark. Slimline mATX/mITX case similar to the Antec but cheaper, 300W PSU of unknown vintage. A bit big but more space for normal-sized drives etc.

Haven't seen the Antec ITX offerings anywhere yet :( Boils down to their PSUs in the end (modernised TFX PSUs are rarer than hen's teeth even if you could import one from the US)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help Solitaire. I don't mind settling for a 2.5" HDD and a slimline DVD although I'm after going with one of those JCP 'shoeboxes' from HWV - dimensions are - 130 x 220 x 327mm

As it sits my motherboard with CPU/HSF and RAM installed is only 170mm x 170mm x 65mm, and all you need to add to this is space for a PSU, slimline DVD, and 2.5" HDD. Surely just doubling the height would give you a nice cube of say 200mm x 200mm x 140mm?

Another thing I forgot to mention is that that Jou-Jye case I first linked to, is on the Intel approved thermally advantaged list - does this carry any weight (although this doesn't include the PSU)?

This is my first ITX build so I'm sure lots of learning ahead.

As it sits my motherboard with CPU/HSF and RAM installed is only 170mm x 170mm x 65mm, and all you need to add to this is space for a PSU, slimline DVD, and 2.5" HDD

If only. PSUs are massive volume-munchers and given that they always need rear access for ventilation/exhaust they are an ongoing form-factor problem for smaller PCs. Another bulky item is a full-size 5.25" external bay; many prefer full-size optical drives or other drivebay accessories; the only slimline optical drive I'd use frequently is a slot-in model which cost a bit more than standard; laptop ones are waaay too freakin' flimsy and snappable :eek: Nothing against 2.5" HDDs though, unless you have serious storage needs they're quieter and more energy-efficient than 3.5" models and go well with SFF applications.
    Another thing I forgot to mention is that that Jou-Jye case I first linked to, is on the Intel approved thermally advantaged list - does this carry any weight (although this doesn't include the PSU)?

It has vents above the CPU location - the HSF draws air in through this and the TFX PSU mounted along the bottom uses its 80mm fan to exhaust it. By comparison most "sub-ATX" systems rely on one (or even none :p) 40mm squealers for ventilation and an external brick for power. If using a C2D-based SFF PC the power requirement would restrict you to systems with relatively good ventilation anyway - an advantage of being a niche-in-a-niche :) The JCP would probably have similar cooling (250W PSU in there - needs to source its air from somewhere!). I noticed that the JJ case is very, very thin - so thin it could have issues with even a slimline optical drive owing to the chipset heatsinks on the P45 mobo (much higher than your average mITX board). There's warnings that larger HDDs are a no-go with that case-mobo combination on the JJ case's page

I've ordered both cases to see how they go, should be arriving any day now.

Both?! :eek:

*sgh* Wish I could resolve mental disputes with some good old retail therapy like that :D

Better late than never. Two pics of the final choice.

dscf1600e.th.jpg

dscf1599e.th.jpg

Up and running yet? :)

Advertisement