Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of the overpriced rubbish that is sold on the reject shelf in Tesco.

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at this shelf today and saw a small 1/3rd size can of beans "reduced" from €2 to 30c :eek:, separated multi packs of diet coke sold individually some dented, (Not to be sold separately clearly on the can). An opened pack of Jaffa cakes taped up with some of its contents missing, easter eggs with lumps taken out of them, dented cans ( I believe this is unhealthy because the coating on the inside of the can could be damaged). etc. Some stuff has remained on this shelf for weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Well the other option is to dump all the customer damaged items.
    If the item doesn't sell it is binned at a cost to the store anyway.

Also the can of coke has to be reduced at that price because it is the only barcode that can be used if you use some random code, then the stock count for that item will be corrupted.

Just as a matter of interest what do other supermarkets do with store damaged products?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

in dunnes all is put in returns bins in stockroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Just as a matter of interest what do other supermarkets do with store damaged products?
    Usually skip it, My brother's flat mates used to rummage through the Dunnes skip after work, some of the stuff would be sealed & perfect.

Well most stores doing €1,000,000 have about €10,000 to cover stock that has to be dumped. Anything over that has to be sold at a loss until you have the waste budget to dump it.

Still though makes me wonder where does the stock go after the "returns bins"?

Could any store have enough money just to dump all damaged stock?

Bit off topic but the chocolate manufactures have come up with environmental easter egg packaging.

I have bought 1 and the eggs were broken when I got home. Also it only takes a pinch from some kid to get a piece of the egg for free!! Going to see alot of those on the reduced shelves

• Advertisement

Bit off topic but the chocolate manufactures have come up with environmental easter egg packaging.

I have bought 1 and the eggs were broken when I got home. Also it only takes a pinch from some kid to get a piece of the egg for free!! Going to see a lot of those on the reduced shelves
    Some of this could be also dropped off or collected for SVDP or similar food kitchens. It wouldn't take much for a quick QC for dates etc and keep it aside for collection.

Actually I spend 3 months trying to donate none food stock to charities in Waterford with out success that went into the skip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

similar food kitchens
    They stopped this after one of the supermarkets got sued for something a day beyond the "sell by" date making one of the homeless sick due to food poison.

Used to know a guy who worked for Panda. I was working in dunnes. Dunnes staff throw everything gone by its "use by" date and any and all damages stuff in the bin, and the Panda guys MUST dispose of it by crushing it all.

Well.. that's how it should be. I don't think the Panda guys ever paid for a lunch in there. Dunnes did it right, but the Panda guys got some serious amount of food and drink, all with little or nothing wrong with it. I remember a store (Next, i think) threw out a load of dinner plate sets and stuff because one or two plates were broke in each set. I spent ten minutes and i had three brand new sets. Horrendous amount of unnecessary waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I aggree with the health and safety issues raised above but I also think that some of the stuff that Tescos have reduced is usually of such poor quality/ almost ready to dump anyway that they should nearly be giving it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Unfortunately it's very hard to donate food to charity because of health and safety risks - Tesco don't want to get sued.

I used to go to the "benefits buffet" shelf just to laugh, but now I won't set foot in Tesco. Does any other supermarket do such a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Usually skip it, My brother's flat mates used to rummage through the Dunnes skip after work, some of the stuff would be sealed & perfect.

Jeez! You think a dented can is unhealthy and they were taking foodstuffs out of a skip. Is this for real???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Brown Thomas chop up unsold shoes in case poor people might get them or so I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

This reminds me of the M&S on a friday night in Liffey Valley shopping centre. They used to (or maybe still do) put all their fresh foods nearly at sell by out for next to nothing on the special offers shelf at about 8.30pm. seriously, people would go through you just to get to that 50c prawn salad sandwhich :eek:

the little old "feeble" ladies were the worst, you'd be liable to get a walking stick in the head for your trouble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Jeez! You think a dented can is unhealthy and they were taking foodstuffs out of a skip. Is this for real???

I've a few friends who dumpster dive for nearly all their meals in new york. If you think the waste is bad here you should see the amount thats chucked out there.

Out of date I can handle, but seeing skips full of customer damaged stock daily is soul destroying.
    For all those people who question where stock comes from and the ethical queries behind manufacturing, atleast let somebody get use out of it and don't damage stock you don't own.

I took a swing by the grocery reductions shelf today at 8:30 and them again at 4:30.
    Full at 8:30 and only organic healthy stuff left at 4:30!!
    Most items were 75%off.

ztoical wrote: »
    I've a few friends who dumpster dive for nearly all their meals in new york. If you think the waste is bad here you should see the amount thats chucked out there.
    THere will be a lot more dumpster divers now with the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Red Alert wrote: »
    Brown Thomas chop up unsold shoes in case poor people might get them or so I'm told.
    afaik heatons do the same with all their end of line goods rather than give it to an organisation for the homeless.

I doubt those stores are dumping discontinued lines, more lightly customer damaged.

In my experience charities don't have the manpower to process anything other than the usual charity shop items. All items donated to a charity shop have to be de-branded.

So the donating company has to put in time too.
    It's catch 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Still though makes me wonder where does the stock go after the "returns bins"?

Could any store have enough money just to dump all damaged stock?

The saleman for the company who sold Dunnes the product gets the pleasure of signing a credit note for damaged goods. Most of the time salesman sign it for the items but there is times the goods are beyond credit note stage. Once the note is signed if its foodstuff it gets launched into the bins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Melted M&M

When tesco reduce their food they only take 10% of you have to wait till about 7pm onwards to get the prices to drop. Dented tins are safe to use

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

All items donated to a charity shop have to be de-branded.

What? That's not true, unless you're talking specifically about Tesco? And I think even a charity shop would refuse their crappy viscose based clothing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

eth0_ wrote: »
    What? That's not true, unless you're talking specifically about Tesco? And I think even a charity shop would refuse their crappy viscose based clothing :D

I think the problem is more with people spending a fortune on stuff in e.g. BT not being very happy if they see the same item in a charity shop a while later.
    (Though they should be delighted at the opportunity to pick up a spare cheap!)

Most stores I know donate clothing to charity and every thing has to be completely de branded. Most places do about 3 black sack every 6 months.

This is after you've reduces them as store damaged.

Items returned faulty + worn go straight to charity.

Advertisement