Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long more will the Xbox 360 be around for?

• 26-02-2009 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭

I saying when will they stop selling game like the original xbox is now:mad:When will we see a new xbox that will kick the xbox 360 off the shelf?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

At a guess I'd say we will start to hear about it at E3 2010 and we will see it on the shelves at the end of 2011. By then the 360 will be 6 years old and I think it will replaced in the shops quicker than the Xbox was.

At a guess I'd say we will start to hear about it at E3 2010 and we will see it on the shelves at the end of 2011. By then the 360 will be 6 years old and I think it will replaced in the shops quicker than the Xbox was.

I reckon we're looking at a much longer shelf life, if i'm being honest. 2013, 2014 maybe. With all the updates, and t'internet etc. capabilities of ye olde consoles these days, I don't see them being changed as often. Look at the amount of stuff the 360 can do in comparison to the XBox original. I don't see there being a huge jump forward for consoles just yet, and if they (sony, MS) start investing into this whole gaming system where you have to move to do things (like the Wii) then i don't think I'll even be picking up a next-gen console.

To me the 360 is a stop gap to MS to stay on par with Sony. They built it on the cheap with off the shelf parts and just expanded the Live service they set up with the Xbox.

Sony on the other hand went all out with the Cell chip and Blu Ray and I see the PS3 lasting till 2015.

I think MS will pull out the stops with the next one and do a proper custom job on it, at least I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i thought 2011 was supposed to be the release for next xbox. I read to many sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

announced perhaps q4 this year, rollout q1 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I don't think a full scale announcement of a new Xbox will do MS any good this year. With a declining economy and hardware that has kept up with PC gaming (for the most part) there really is no need to launch new hardware. Especially since the PS3 is only peaking now, charging people more money for a new console just won't work unless MS can keep the price lower then the PS3, and give all of the same functionality.

Their best bet is to keep hammering away with new 360 bundles and keep developers working on AAA titles. Word on the streetz (yo) is that Gears3 is already in development and due for some announcement at E3... so the 360 still has legs.

One more year built around the Halo franchise and then maybe get ready to retire the old girl. But right now, she's not that old, and really there aren't any major advances in hardware that a new console can take advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I think the major reason for sooner rather than later is the current lack of a HD drive on the 360. This could be gotten around to a certain extent with an external reader but now that blu-ray has won, MS need a blu-ray console asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pH wrote: »
    I think the major reason for sooner rather than later is the current lack of a HD drive on the 360. This could be gotten around to a certain extent with an external reader but now that blu-ray has won, MS need a blu-ray console asap.

This will never happen, why do you think MS are pushing netflix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

duploelabs wrote: »
    This will never happen, why do you think MS are pushing netflix?

And I'm old enough to remember when MS thought we didn't all need the internet and pushed MSN (the dial-up network) as an alternative.

As DVDs dwindle over the next couple of years and blu-ray becomes more pervasive, it will become more of a problem. MS didn't invent the DVD format either, yet have no problem licensing the tech for their current console, when they're finished smarting from losing the HD, they're going to have to move on. A longer term console (2012+) that can't play bluray is going to be a problem for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

MS have said numerous times that they want the 360 to last longer than the traditional 5 year console lifespan so I'd say it will be at least 2012 before we hear about the next console with a 2013 or 2014 release.

Their CFO was quoted as saying "every year you draw it out you increase profitability", and the xbox division is under pressure to start making a profit to recover the huge losses they made in the first 3 years of the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

To me the 360 is a stop gap to MS to stay on par with Sony. They built it on the cheap with off the shelf parts and just expanded the Live service they set up with the Xbox.

Sony on the other hand went all out with the Cell chip and Blu Ray and I see the PS3 lasting till 2015.

I think MS will pull out the stops with the next one and do a proper custom job on it, at least I hope.

The 360 was certainly built to a budget, but they used as many custom components as Sony. Perhaps your thinking of the first xbox, as that really was little more than a celeron pc, probably the reason it was bulletproof.

Despite what MS has said, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an announcement about a replacement next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think the 360 is capable of having 4 more years. However the almost quaterly price drops should push MS into action sooner than they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

It would be funny to see a new xbox very soon, because my friends got xboxs this year and to see their faces if a new one came would be priceless :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm hoping that, like the PS3, the 360 will last quite a bit longer, they seem to be squeezing more and more from the machine, japanese developers are finally seeing a home market uptake of the console, perhaps prompting even more development for it.
    Could get 3 more years of AAA development before the replacement comes along, and hopefully, unlike the Xbox, support and games won't simply disappear with the ceasing of production.
    The PS2 has the best model of all, it is still going strong selling newly released games almost 10 years after it's first market appearence, that's amazing, as was the PSone before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

a friend of a friend works for microsoft in the design department or something like that and the mate was saying that they're currently working on the new xbox.Can't remember exactly what he said about it but as far as I can remember its going to be launched in 2 years time.Must ask him tomorro about the features, I remember he was drooling over it and he isn't easily impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Meatwad wrote: »
    a friend of a friend works for microsoft in the design department or something like that and the mate was saying that they're currently working on the new xbox.Can't remember exactly what he said about it but as far as I can remember its going to be launched in 2 years time.Must ask him tomorro about the features, I remember he was drooling over it and he isn't easily impressed.

Cool! All i know is that i'll be buying that on release day!:)

What'll it be called, XBOX-1080 i wonder......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Zonda999 wrote: »

Are you sure you'll want a launch console? What about the Purple Hexagon of Death™?

Are you sure you'll want a launch console? What about the Purple Hexagon of Death™?

You never know, my launch Pro is still going strong and better stay that way cause it's older than 3 years now:D. My 1 year old Elite that was made in 2007 has had a RROD alright.

When ever they start taking pre-orders for the next one I'll be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

New console in a coupla years would be fine with me, means I could flash my 360 as a media centre :P

Whatever about when it's going to be released, I'd bet quite a bit that the next console wont have anything like the current 'ring of light'. They'll want to get as far away from any RROD image problems as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

the thing about Nexflick is unlike the pc version the 360 has can't use any sony movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Varik wrote: »
    the thing about Nexflick is unlike the pc version the 360 has can't use any sony movies
    That was a short blip between Sony and Netflix, but has since been resolved. http://kotaku.com/5099053/sony-movies-now-available-on-360s-netflix. Although not being able to get a similar service here is a bit of a pain.

On the other hand, I can't see Microsoft rushing to get out another console to the market too quickly - what with these recessionary times, etc. At the earliest I would say that we hear about it after Christmas 2010 (golden rule #1, don't announce something new too early because you're effectively killing off your current product because people will hold on for the new one).

The only reason they killed of the original XBox so quickly was that they were late getting to the market with it and couldn't effectively balance pushing the original XBox into the market while trying to launch and push the new 360. I think they're much more prepared and Savvy this time around for being a two platform games company - Backwards compability is a key they would need to keep in mind to bee successful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Zonda999 wrote: »

i tink its going to be called the xbox 720

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

or xboxxx - for adults only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Logically, it'd be called that alright. That said, by the time this thing is launched, 1080p games should nearly be the norm so xbox 1080 may denote the dawn of full 1920 x 1080p games. just a thought:)

The anticipation for this thing will be absolutely massive.I think it'll be like when the 360 was launched. In the way that the successor will be an absolute must buy. I'll be saving as soon as this is announced:)

I reckon we'll be waiting until at least Q4 2011, though. Ok, so that means an announcement at E3 2010. Thats only next year!!:D I guess thats somesthing to look forward to when this recession is over anyway!(Hopefully it will be!:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It will prob be called something ghey like Xbox Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Cant they just call it Xbox 3. 720 isn't too bad but 1080 is a bit of a mouthful

LD 50 wrote: »
    Cant they just call it Xbox 3. 720 isn't too bad but 1080 is a bit of a mouthful

They've exactly the same amount of syllables.

Doubt they'd call it the Xbox3 Given that MS didn't call the current machine Xbox2 in case casual consumers would deem it less attractive than a machine with the number three in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

They could call it Xbox the 3rd? I reckon they'll go with someting like X-3, people might think of X-men though.

I think the 360 has 2 more years before it's successor hit's the shelves and I doubt developers will just abandon the 360 like the did with the Xbox considering the huge install base it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Being released in 2012.
    Some interesting choices by Mircosoft for the new xbox.
    Some people reckon it will be SSD drives,,will be dead cheap by 2011/2012.
    Definitely blu-ray..broadband's not widespread enough for MS yet.
    They're saying 3Gb of ram..DDR3 plus it will definitely be ATI graphics.
    Nvidia are really fcuked...they royally screwed over Sony for the PS3 and now it's payback time for Sony for their PS4..they already basically told nv to fcuk off.
    Nvidia are now out of the next-gen console biz and this is going to screw them up bigtime.
    I also reckon Wireless N..has to be really for high def playback..wireless g is too laggy for it.

Good article on it..most of it's common sense
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2341005,00.asp

Advertisement