Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long more will the Xbox 360 be around for?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

pH wrote: »
    I think the major reason for sooner rather than later is the current lack of a HD drive on the 360. This could be gotten around to a certain extent with an external reader but now that blu-ray has won, MS need a blu-ray console asap.

Blue Ray hasn't won sh1t. DVD's out sell BR my miles. Fair enough BR has beaten HDDVD but thats it. BR will never be the next big media format.
    Digital distribution is the format that will win/is winning. BBC I player, 4oD, Netflix, Xbox live movies, torrents, rapidshare. Some of which are illegal but you get my point.

Minidiscs anyone! lol Remember how they were going to take over from CD's? But nope downloading to ipods etc won there. The same way BR will fail.

I bet the next consoles PS4 or Xbox 3 will be server based. Sub fee's like Live now, but will download all games to HDD. No more discs, reduces piracy . Also the profits in micro buys on consoles. I.e new costumes, levels, etc. Sony and M/S are aware of the money to make here.

What about the Ps4 being called a Sony Playbox, and Xbox 3 as MS Xstation. lol And not for getting the Nintendo WiiWii or Wii2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Server based?
    Not a chance in hell.
    It will definitely be blu-ray or flash drive based.
    If you look at the amount of console owners versus live players MS are not going to lose out on that amount of cash.
    And can you imagine downloading a 20GB on the crappy internet infrastructure in Ireland or Europe for that matter?

There's been over 28 million 360s sold worldwide.
    17 million of these are live players.
    Do you honestly think MS are going to ditch the 11million people that don't use or do't have internet? Lose over 3.3 billion dollars? Not a chance.

Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see.

And roll on the next-gen console, the sooner the better!

I reckon it will include a Blu-ray, but mostly for the purpose of watching movies. I think a lot of the stuff we'll be playing will be remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Server based?
    Not a chance in hell.
    It will definitely be blu-ray or flash drive based.
    If you look at the amount of console owners versus live players MS are not going to lose out on that amount of cash.
    And can you imagine downloading a 20GB on the crappy internet infrastructure in Ireland or Europe for that matter?

There's been over 28 million 360s sold worldwide.
    17 million of these are live players.
    Do you honestly think MS are going to ditch the 11million people that don't use or do't have internet?

Yes. In 2-3 years they will only be losing out on about 5-10% of players so it won't bother them.
    Sony backed the loser in BluRay as digital distrib is winning out. Expect games to be downloaded in the future.

Advertisement