Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone remember "Peeker's"?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember "Peeker's"? What a dump. A health hazard, a fire hazard, the smallest dance floor in the world, they said it was "chicken" but we reckoned it was pigeon (and rice), "characters" everywhere, the only disco open on Christmas Eve. The same people every night falling around the place. Ah, Happy days....(Jeez I've just realised I'm old now).

ps. nice red carpet but.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Where was it?

In the same vein does anyone remember Deep at the Stilorgan park hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

.....and blakes in stillorgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

.....and blakes in stillorgan

I remember its Lobster tank and soggy chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Where was it?

In the same vein does anyone remember Deep at the Stollirgan park hotel?

I remember when it was called Flamingos alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I remember when it was called Flamingos alright

Think it was also called 'hollywood nights' for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

cuckoo wrote: »
    Think it was also called 'hollywood nights' for a while...

Indeed it was

anyone remember scrupples (sp) in Dun Laoghaire?

Indeed it was

Ah yeah and the infamous Ziggy's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Indeed it was

one of the first clubs i drank in, that and the traders wharf

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Ah jaysus Peekers... now that brings back memories. It was like a cave with that glorious sticky red carpet going half way up the walls. And that spiral staircase up to the restaurant (for want of a better word) I can remember Seamus in The Club in Dalkey regularly kicking us out at closing time ' Peekers is ready for yez, keep between the hedges'. you'd think he had shares in the place

Now I am really going to show my age here - does anybody remember the Disco bar in the Graduate pub at the top of Rochestown Avenue? I think it was there for about 6 years in the early 80's. What was the bar called? Its been driving me mad for years.

com1 wrote: »
    Now I am really going to show my age here - does anybody remember the Disco bar in the Graduate pub at the top of Rochestown Avenue? I think it was there for about 6 years in the early 80's. What was the bar called? Its been driving me mad for years.

Yeah, I do but up till now its name wasn't driving me mad!!! Will find that one out. It was the first time I was charged pint prices for half litre measures. Luckily I managed not to be there the night it got smashed up.

I've also just remembered "Racey's" in the Leopardstown Inn. Not a bad shop if memory serves..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Ziggy's! :D I pretty much dedicated a youtube page in the good name of ziggys. Well i uploaded some of the music that got played there quite regularly between 1996/1998 when i had a few stints up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Never went to Peekers but heard it was a bit of a dump but brilliant. Scruples i do remember and that was the best DL had to offer in my opinion (after ziggys closed down). Scruples caused too much hassle for the locals and rightly got it closed down in the end. Some of you might remember the bouncers used to hand out lollipops on the way out to try keep the walk up the street quiet. Needless to say it didnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kiwi_40

Ziggies, got closed down after someone got stabbed and died outside it one night after leaving it.

Peekers was great, you could get pints till 3.00am and they were the same price as the pubs, unheard of in those days, normally if u could get pints they cost about 2 pounds more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In the same vein does anyone remember Deep at the Stilorgan park hotel?

Yah. Anyone remember the huge 13ft tall fish-tanks on both sides of the entrance?
    Anyone remember somebody knocking off one (by mistake) and having the thing empty to half-way, one night when Oatlands had a night out there... yah!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Yep...remember it well, is it just boarded up now???

• Registered Users Posts: 1 64dave

jesus theres a blast from the past. Does anyone remember the big blonde? Angie or something. God she put it about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Pal of mine met his wife in peekers. They are extremely unhappy together.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Did Peekers have a shiney metal front door?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

cobham wrote: »
    Did Peekers have a shiney metal front door?

Yep, it was used as a dance floor.

I'd be a Deep era person, which became Hollywood Nights (Fights) again for a short while. Leaving Cert results night is a very fond hedonistic memory :)

Ziggys. Now theres a thing. You had to know someone to get in and out safely, but once in there it was safe enough. Well safer than Mosul lets say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Forget all of them !

Bring back Papparazi ! Falling out of there after a wednesday night (or was it thursday night?) at 3am, down to popples chip house or abracababra. Crawling home at 4am and going to work for 5.30.

Woodys alcopops at a pound each. Just to line them up on the table in front of us. Robert Myles - Children played by the DJ, My head still hurts.:D

How I did it, I do not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Forget all of them !

Bring back Papparazi ! Falling out of there after a wednesday night (or was it thursday night?) at 3am, down to popples chip house or abracababra. Crawling home at 4am and going to work for 5.30.

Woodys alcopops at a pound each. Just to line them up on the table in front of us. Robert Myles - Children played by the DJ, My head still hurts.:D

Fecking Hell, I could of wrote that! Are you sure you're not me! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Forget all of them !

Out of curiosity, where did you go to work at 5:30 after a night out finishing at 4 that allowed you to get through a shift without getting f**ked out on your ear? I worked in a shell station as forecourt attendant, whatever that was. On reflection Id admit to having impressively poor decision making skills and a fondness for a drop at the early age of 16, I went in for a shift at 7am and the lad behind the counter said I had chocolate on the edges of my mouth on either side, it was crusty semi dried Guinness from a heavy session of it and passed out mid drink on a bean bag, which on reflection I consider myself lucky to have not pissed myself on....what I'm getting at is that there was some serious tolerance back then for arriving into work fully buckled drunk and being allowed to stay and see your shift out regardless, Im not so sure the same level of tolerance for arriving into work ****faced still exists these days, at least in the manual labour or crap job sector, this doesn't include jobs where you have a salary or responsibility, it's pretty much a free for all in those jobs in Ireland as we all know.

Out of curiosity, where did you go to work at 5:30 after a night out finishing at 4 that allowed you to get through a shift without getting f**ked out on your ear? I worked in a shell station as forecourt attendant, whatever that was. On reflection Id admit to having impressively poor decision making skills and a fondness for a drop at the early age of 16, I went in for a shift at 7am and the lad behind the counter said I had chocolate on the edges of my mouth on either side, it was crusty semi dried Guinness from a heavy session of it and passed out mid drink on a bean bag, which on reflection I consider myself lucky to have not pissed myself on....what I'm getting at is that there was some serious tolerance back then for arriving into work fully buckled drunk and being allowed to stay and see your shift out regardless, Im not so sure the same level of tolerance for arriving into work ****faced still exists these days, at least in the manual labour or crap job sector, this doesn't include jobs where you have a salary or responsibility, it's pretty much a free for all in those jobs in Ireland as we all know.

Er, feck it who cares! I worked goods-inwards in a supermarket and there was only me and the truck driver. It was a voluntary early opening to get in, get it done, and get the hell out. I do recall one day the assistant manager asked me had I been out the night before.

I mentioned errrrr, kinda, why. I had half a pizza on my shirt

Oh those were good times !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Stillorgan Park Hotel nightclub was Flamingos in early 80s, then Hollywood Nights in mid 80s to early 90s, then Deep in mid 1990s.

And before all of that, we used to camp in Farrells on the top floor of the shopping centre. Have a few, watch the Hibernia/St Columba and Cambria come and go, then down into the basement for Paparazzi.

Why oh why does time move on? Happy times indeed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Where was Peekers, was it on the seafront?

Was Ziggy's the nightclub in Deansgrange attached to a rather dodgy looking hotel, I think there are apartments there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Papparazis - you mean Slapperazis! And before that it was Magnums...

Now where me Horlicks and slippers.

Advertisement