Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chit chat / Randomness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭stevexo

Im back you bítches :D

Who missed me :cool:
    oh, you were away? not sure people noticed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

stevexo wrote: »
    oh, you were away? not sure people noticed

Buurrnn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭stevexo

Buurrnn
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Thanks for that! :pac:

How's everyone this morning?

I'm quite proud of myself, managed to get out of bed unaided and walked to the bathroom and back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Proud of that? Unless you're 93....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Proud of that? Unless you're 93....

Or 18 and had emergency surgery to have your appendix out :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

oh that can be pretty sore. had mine out at 16 and I was in pain for few weeks:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Hey everybody!! :) Hope you're all well!

Back from holidays! Was stuck out in the Canaries an extra week due to the volcanic ash disruptions! ;) Must admit I've never been happier to be home. :D

kingtut wrote: »

Well in that context it seems a bit more impressive.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭contenttypes

kingtut wrote: »
    how wud u know? ur only 14.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

WOOHOO

Yawn.. I'm bored..

NoDice wrote: »
    Yawn.. I'm bored..

Want to go to the dentist for me instead?

Have to go get a tooth extracted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I now officially hate my car.

There has been something wrong with the alarm in it since Sunday. It kept on just randomly going off. So I have had to leave it unlocked (Can't lock the car without setting the alarm, it's tied into the central locking).

Whatever is wrong with the alarm is also draining the battery =(

New battery was put in the car maybe 6 months ago, and when I finished work yesterday evening it was dead. Not even turning over (And nope, I had not left any lights on or anything). I walked home, and then walked back in a few hours later to get a jump start off a friend. Left it run (Both driving and idle) for about 25 min to charge it up a little more.

This morning it's dead again =( Not even enough power for the clock!

I don't suppose anyone with a set of jump leads feels like coming out to Douglas some time on Thursday evening to help start my car so I can get home to Kerry (Where my mechanic lives)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'll call out no problem. Can you lock the car without the keyfob? In some cars, this locks cars without engaging alarm.

You can have my jump leads for the week if you want.

Want to go to the dentist for me instead?

Have to go get a tooth extracted :(

I would actually love to go to the dentist! A bit scared but I haven't been since I've been 14 I'd say.. My wisdom tooth is coming down but I don't even know where to start when it comes to going to a new dentist.. Can I just walk into a place?????? Stupid question I know but no better place to ask I guess! :o

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I'll call out no problem. Can you lock the car without the keyfob? In some cars, this locks cars without engaging alarm.

You can have my jump leads for the week if you want.

The 'lock' button is worn off the fob so I have to lock it with the keys anyway. It looks like the alarm is just tied into the central locking.

I'm grand without driving till Thursday, I have nothing pressing on this week (Other than getting back to Killarney) and work is only ten or fifteen min walk away.

Cheers Webmonkey, I appreciate it. I'll get you a beer at the next beers I make it to.

I would actually love to go to the dentist! A bit scared but I haven't been since I've been 14 I'd say.. My wisdom tooth is coming down but I don't even know where to start when it comes to going to a new dentist.. Can I just walk into a place?????? Stupid question I know but no better place to ask I guess! :o

Depends on the dentist. My one is always busy and the only reason i got an appointment for today was because i was pretty much crying in pain ringing them yesterday. Sure just give them a quick call to make an appointment.

Depends on the dentist. My one is always busy and the only reason i got an appointment for today was because i was pretty much crying in pain ringing them yesterday. Sure just give them a quick call to make an appointment.

You poor thing, sounds sore. :( Best of luck with your appointment! You'll be fine!

Cheers for the advice, will call a dentist in the city through the yellow pages on my day off. Dunno how I've gotten away with not going for so long. Haven't had any problems or anything just worried about the wisdom tooth cause everyone keeps telling me it should be hurting!! :(

• Advertisement

OEB depending on the alarm you should be able to disable it under the bonnet using a smaller key.. most car alarms will go off themselves when the battery goes flat so it sounds like the issue is with the battery drain rather than alarm itself? let me know if you want to borrow a battery to carry in the boot for jumping.. I have a huge battery sitting in the garage at home, it came out of a tractor:D

9 injections later and that bloody tooth is finally gone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

ouch....even if they numbed you up first! The thought of the dentist makes me feel like I'm going to pass out.

Always surprises me when 21st century dentistry is still basically just grabbing a pair of plyers and yanking the tooth out. Hope they gave you plenty of pain killers for afterwards. The over-the-counter **** might as well be smarties....

This was me 2 weeks ago :) Haven't been to a dentist in about 18 years (I'm 29). About five years ago I knew I needed a little filling as I had some pain in my last bottom molar on the lhs of my mouth. Didn't fancy going to a dentist though as my bottom wisdom teeth were coming through. Anyway five years on and the little filling is more than a little filling and from time to time is quite painful, as in sleepless nights etc. So I rang a dentist and booked it. Told the lady on the phone I hated dentists and needed one that understands folks like me and not some animal. She assured me the chap was splendid. Had an appointment last week, went very well, he did a temporary filling which has stopped all the pain and said he will either extract it or do a root canal depending on what I want. Also I need 3 small fillings. Wisdom teeth are happy out he said. Should be sorted in 2 or 3 more visits. He was an absolute gent and I am not dreading going back at all. I was a bit pasty afterwards as I'm very squemish, he gave me a can of coke :D Dentist phobia gone and I plan on 6 monthly check up and cleans going forward :) Although the 9 injections for an extraction has me a tad concerned :eek:

The place I went to is by The Lough, it's against the dental forum charter to recommend a dentist so it may be the same in here, I can PM you the number if you like.

I've decided to quit people.

That means I'll be moving away from Cork :(

• Advertisement

Quit work ?
    Where you going to go ?

oeb wrote: »

I don't suppose anyone with a set of jump leads feels like coming out to Douglas some time on Thursday evening to help start my car so I can get home to Kerry (Where my mechanic lives)?

I'll can pass through Douglas on Thursday about 5.45 / 6 ish on my way home from work, you can have my jump leads till you're sorted if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've decided to quit people.

That means I'll be moving away from Cork :(

you have? wow.

Quit the post grad. It's a joke, made work on stuff that isn't related to my research. Said I'd go early before I find myself in same position in 3 years time.

I've few jobs lined up alright though. :) Might as well go I'd say

Have a think about it, you might be on a road to a nice cushy job as a lecturer now even though it seems a pain. Working in the big bad World isn't easy either. I'm working as a contract validation engineer at the moment and the stuff I had to do last week was mind numbing and not related at all to the project I'm on, had to be done though.

• Advertisement

Quit the post grad. It's a joke, made work on stuff that isn't related to my research.

that's not that unusual. have you spoken to your supervisor and all that?

ouch....even if they numbed you up first! The thought of the dentist makes me feel like I'm going to pass out.

I nearly passed out :) Just the way I am though
    Always surprises me when 21st century dentistry is still basically just grabbing a pair of plyers and yanking the tooth out. Hope they gave you plenty of pain killers for afterwards. The over-the-counter **** might as well be smarties....

In fairness, the check up I had last week was light years ahead of the poking and prodding with sharp tools they did the last time I was at one.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'll can pass through Douglas on Thursday about 5.45 / 6 ish on my way home from work, you can have my jump leads till you're sorted if you like.

If it's on your way that would be great. I know I'm a bit out of Webmonkey's way.

(I have jump leads, but they are in the shed, in Killarney (Best place to keep them of course =/))

Have a think about it, you might be on a road to a nice cushy job as a lecturer now even though it seems a pain. Working in the big bad World isn't easy either. I'm working as a contract validation engineer at the moment and the stuff I had to do last week was mind numbing and not related at all to the project I'm on, had to be done though.

I'm very familiar with the real world too though. I know for fact it isn't easy but at least you stay some bit disciplined. I've just had enough of acedemia. I worked incredibly hard the last 4 years...and always have in my area but I'm losing interest staying here.

I don't want to lecturer just yet either. I can always come back few years later if I change my mind.
    deRanged wrote: »
    that's not that unusual. have you spoken to your supervisor and all that?

I know yes to a certain degree but what I'm doing is beyond. I'm working on a huge EU project, hince why I travelling so much (Germany for 7 days now saturday). I'm acting like a project manager...I've taken a huge project on board, it's beyond. It's like an industry project. I might as well be working in industry. It takes up 100% my time...this includes weekends.

I know I should be able to manage time but this supervisor is known for this. He'll make you work until you drop and doesn't care about your own research at all. I was warned at the begining also and when I mention it to others..they all think I'm mad to stay. Things aren't going to get better.

I'm sick of acedemia now though...I a software developer and I've moved to electronics. I don't think its where I want to be right now so better get out early I think!

oeb wrote: »
    If it's on your way that would be great. I know I'm a bit out of Webmonkey's way.

(I have jump leads, but they are in the shed, in Killarney (Best place to keep them of course =/))

No prob at all, let me know where you want to meet :)
    I pass through Douglas most days so if this evening or tomorrow suits you that's cool too, I go home every day.

Can see your point there webby, my only advice would be not to jump ship until the other one is in sight i.e. sign up with a co first then quit:D I was in a similar position last year and i decided to play safe and stay, it turned out to be the right decision.. story for boards beers:p

I was brickin it going in there. Had the choice between root canal treatment or getting it pulled. I've had so much trouble with this tooth i just said pull away :p

Nope he told me to sort myself out painkiller wise. Gonna stock up on the nurofen plus :pac: The whole plyers thing sounds rough but after all the injections i didnt feel a thing and it came out really easy aswell(thank god)

I'm sick of acedemia now though...I a software developer and I've moved to electronics. I don't think its where I want to be right now so better get out early I think!

right - that makes sense. if you want to talk it over at any stage over a beer or two, I'd be happy to. I have some perspective in the area :)

deRanged wrote: »
    right - that makes sense. if you want to talk it over at any stage over a beer or two, I'd be happy to. I have some perspective in the area :)
    Thanks :) - Might do. My mind pretty much made up though. I've been through this about 3 months ago as well and fact it keeps coming up means somethings not right! :)

The place I went to is by The Lough, it's against the dental forum charter to recommend a dentist so it may be the same in here, I can PM you the number if you like.

Great post RJ, thanks a mill that was really helpful. I'm really scared cause I have about 8 or 9 sugars in my tea (I've about 10 cups a day!), I'm a smoker and (apparently) I grind my teeth sometimes in my sleep.... Nothing is painful and they're not falling out or anything but I've never had a filling or anything so I'm afraid he'll want to take all my teeth out with big rusty garden shears wrapped in barbed wire or something!! :eek:

Will you pm me the number please if you get a chance so? I'd really appreciate it.

Webby, sounds like a tough choice to make really! I don't know anything about that sector and you will obviously know what's best for you in this situation. I only hope you make the right decision and that you're happy with it at the end of the day. Good luck. :)

Is work over yet? Will someone come take me home...?? :(:(:(

• Advertisement

Good chance thats my dentist too :D

Lovely fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭contenttypes

Thanks :) - Might do. My mind pretty much made up though. I've been through this about 3 months ago as well and fact it keeps coming up means somethings not right! :)

hey look its ok...u dont need to leav d course and d city...i wont stalk you! i swear! lol! C, wot happens after meetn me friday? Was I that bad?! lol

Webby, sounds like a tough choice to make really! I don't know anything about that sector and you will obviously know what's best for you in this situation. I only hope you make the right decision and that you're happy with it at the end of the day. Good luck. :)

Is work over yet? Will someone come take me home...?? :(:(:(

yep..totally agree.. tink bout it and do wot feels rite. hav had to make tough decisions myself! left a good career and changed completely, there was moments wen i was kickin myself...and id probly be a rich woman by now if id stuk it out...but wud i be happy? probly not...i'm poor but i love d work i do...wen i do any! lol

As u said, u can always come back to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

My mind pretty much made up though. I've been through this about 3 months ago as well and fact it keeps coming up means somethings not right! :)
    i think this is a good decision to make webby... i mean you haven't been happy in that post grad for a while and your happiness is really the most important thing... i think anyway. pity you have to leave cork tho. you gonna go straight into another job or take a bit of a break for yourself??

nursemar88 wrote: »
    i think this is a good decision to make webby... i mean you haven't been happy in that post grad for a while and your happiness is really the most important thing... i think anyway. pity you have to leave cork tho. you gonna go straight into another job or take a bit of a break for yourself??

He has some ladyboys waiting for him back in Thailand so maybe back there for a while :pac:

Good luck with whatever you choose webby. You're a sensible fella so im sure you know that what you are doing is he right choice for you. And sure after you've made your millions you can always come back and do that PHD :cool:

nursemar88 wrote: »
    He has some ladyboys waiting for him back in Thailand so maybe back there for a while :pac:

Good luck with whatever you choose webby. You're a sensible fella so im sure you know that what you are doing is he right choice for you. And sure after you've made your millions you can always come back and do that PHD :cool:

Thanks everyone :) - I really think this is the right decision. By staying any longer, I'm losing the discipline I once had and the motivation. Academia is just not for me. I'm more practical guy that wants to get things done fast instead of reading papers etc =)

I've told my supervisor anyways. Now for the rest of them tomorrow. I'll probably hang on for another month to transition out. It's a terrible time to leave for my colleagues but I'll try make it as smooth as possible :)

I'm feeling very re leaved now.

I'm prob going to take a month out nurse. I'm going to go working with Brian if I can. Good chance I can also :)

I might just work for a year then go travelling. Only once as far as I can see so might enjoy it.

However I'm going to continue rent house until end of year as I have to probably plus its for nothing so I'm going to call down a few nights for boards meet ups, especially Friday nights :)

And I'm going to continue chatting on here too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I'm feeling very re leaved now.

That is a good sign, hope it all goes very well for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

nothing like a sense of freedom and relief!
    glad you made the right choice... time to party now is it?

However I'm going to continue rent house until end of year as I have to probably

Just as an FYI months notice and you are out if you want, I have a place up the country and the letting agent was on to me recently, the lease was up and the lads renting it wanted to renew for another 12 months but were wondering could a clause be put in so they can leave at the 6 month mark and still get their deposit, I was like, sure they can leave whenever they want and get their deposit providing they give a months notice, agent was like, yeah, but they don't know that.

Presume they aren't reading this, if ye are, keep my gaf tidy !!!

Just as an FYI months notice and you are out if you want, I have a place up the country and the letting agent was on to me recently, the lease was up and the lads renting it wanted to renew for another 12 months but were wondering could a clause be put in so they can leave at the 6 month mark and still get their deposit, I was like, sure they can leave whenever they want and get their deposit providing they give a months notice, agent was like, yeah, but they don't know that.

Presume they aren't reading this, if ye are, keep my gaf tidy !!!
    Ah yeah but I know the owner too. We getting it ridiculously cheap so I think I'll just keep renting as might be handy =)

Thanks for that though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

i feel sooo sick for some reason....:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement