Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chit chat / Randomness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

corkcomp wrote: »
    :confused: not until July.. Steve lives that way
    >>>>:pac:

know the feeling, work was a disaster. oh well, another 12 hours before having to worry bout that:)
    Oh i am such a pleb... i got confused because as i was reading your reply, steve posted a comment straight after. Anyway...no excuse... sorry!! :( at least now i will not forget your birthday!!! :)
    It seems like we share our birthday steveox :D
    Happy Birthday! :D
    stevexo wrote: »
    yeah but ended up doing nothing
    And Happy Birthday also!! :D

me too, with it being around the corner
    kart wrote: »
    Which means u both live close enough to me too lol, cos the lough is literally around the corner from my place also, hehe.... or well... 5 min walk maybe max.
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    Very good. I just went for walk and realized that the Lough lake is literally around the corner from me. :o

So ye all live near me so :) I reckon I'm the closest to it though, I'm almost a swan I'm so close to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Thats gas, we actually all close by. I actually sat on a bench there this evening thinking bout things. It was lovely to see all the ducks around me.

We must have a meet up some evening in Lough (actually got invited to one last week but never went as I didn't know how close it was :-/ ha)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭stevexo

It seems like we share our birthday steveox :D
    happy birthday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

RoverJames wrote: »
    So ye all live near me so :) I reckon I'm the closest to it though, I'm almost a swan I'm so close to it :D

We should turn this into the Lough forum the way this is going, I live near there too. :-)

mudokon wrote: »
    We should turn this into the Lough forum the way this is going, I live near there too. :-)
    Ha yeah some amount of us near there alright.

Eugh..... so tired and I've dentist at 11.30... they going to kill me I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Ha yeah some amount of us near there alright.

Eugh..... so tired and I've dentist at 11.30... they going to kill me I'd say

oh:eek: best of luck with that. Im heading to Dentist at 2.30:(

im starting to feel left out here. I dont live anywhere near the lough:P

im starting to feel left out here. I dont live anywhere near the lough:P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65974048&postcount=8454 ;-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I live near the Lough too! :eek:
    Do you have to be a member of the Mardyke to use the climbing wall Kingtut?

Nope, I went as part of a group of 13. The organiser prob had to pre-book a slot but when I arrived we all just paid at the front desk. Would you be interested in it?

• Advertisement

Lennoxs chipper on the Bandon Road - The worst chipper in Cork? Quite possibly! :mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66074208&postcount=117

kingtut wrote: »
    Lennoxs chipper on the Bandon Road - The worst chipper in Cork? Quite possibly! :mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66074208&postcount=117
    You must have got a bad batch or something as its generally nice. There's always a queue out the door so I think people think its okay in general.

That's a pity. I personally never eat there again though or any chipper for that matter. Hate the grease.

You must have got a bad batch or something as its generally nice. There's always a queue out the door so I think people think its okay in general.

That's a pity. I personally never eat there again though or any chipper for that matter. Hate the grease.

Well all I know is it was my 2nd time there and both times it was horrible, my friend hated the food also and threw half of theirs into the bin.

I don't eat chipper food that often however I have been to much nicer ones in Cork.

Well all I know is it was my 2nd time there and both times it was horrible, my friend hated the food also and threw half of theirs into the bin.

I don't eat chipper food that often however I have been to much nicer ones in Cork.
    Yeah shame. One thing though is they are very generous ha. Small chip is prob twice what a large would be in other chippers.

+1 Tefal Actifry is the job, you can actually have chips that taste like chips and not soggy and covered in engine oil:D:p

One thing though is they are very generous ha. Small chip is prob twice what a large would be in other chippers.

Yes although the chips were sh*t the portion was huge! :eek: still Cork's worst chipper IMO (of the ones I have been to) :p

• Advertisement

+1 Tefal Actifry is the job, you can actually have chips that taste like chips and not soggy and covered in engine oil:D:p
    Well if it's castrol magnatec I'd consider eating them :pac: Bloody thing is cost a fortune though. (Serviced car there weekend :p)

+ 1

It can't have been that bad if you ate 2/3s of it to be honest.

Yes although the chips were sh*t the portion was huge! :eek: still Cork's worst chipper IMO (of the ones I have been to) :p

which ones have you been to ?

+ 1
    It can't have been that bad if you ate 2/3s of it to be honest.

I was starving and had nothing else to eat all day! I can assure you it was as bad as I say.

I have been to enough chippers over the years to know how nice the food you get from them can be and this chipper was not nice.

which ones have you been to ?

KCs in Douglas, Zicos in turners cross, lennoxs near Anglesea st, Golden Fry in Ballinlough and the Chicken place on grand parade by the fountain just to name a few.

(Oh and as I am not from Cork originally I could name a bunch of non-Cork ones if you wish)

• Advertisement

Well if it's castrol magnatec I'd consider eating them :pac: Bloody thing is cost a fortune though. (Serviced car there weekend :p)

man, dont talk to me about the price of fully syn oil.. I bought a 25L drum a couple of years ago and its almost gone now..I cant remember what I paid for it but it was very painful:eek:

in fairness its possible to get bad food almost anywhere and lennox's are no exception.. Its been a few years since I was in there but I remember the chips were greasy and half cooked and there was a huge crowd in there waiting for food so maybe that had something to do with it?

in fairness its possible to get bad food almost anywhere and lennox's are no exception..

Oh I know, I only mentioned lennoxs because it is known as probably the best chipper in Cork I just can't see why after having 2 bad experiences there :confused:

KCs in Douglas, Zicos in turners cross, lennoxs near Anglesea st, Golden Fry in Ballinlough and the Chicken place on grand parade by the fountain just to name a few.

(Oh and as I am not from Cork originally I could name a bunch of non-Cork ones if you wish)

Golden Fry is fantastic food, Lennox's anglesea street I would consider to be muck, Zico's so so. HillBillys I wouldn't give to the dog (honestly). For everyone who says Lennox's of Bandon Road is rubbish there are a few hundred that swear by it. The poll in the thread you linked to says a lot.

Also I would think the majority of their business is repeat business.

I think Lennox's is quite nice but it depends what you get in there. Their chips are hit & miss & I avoid their burgers as well. When you order it & they open the draw with fully wrapped burgers in it & just add the sauces at the last minute puts me off. I like their chicken & battered sausages though.

For everyone who says Lennox's of Bandon Road is rubbish there are a few hundred that swear by it. The poll in the thread you linked to says a lot.

It does make me wonder though, Lennox's is practically a Cork institution so is there an element of nostalgia connected with the place which keeps people coming back?

It does make me wonder though, Lennox's is practically a Cork institution so is there an element of nostalgia connected with the place which keeps people coming back?

yep defo, thats what I was trying to say earlier... its more the tradition than the quality of food in a lot of cases

Golden Fry is fantastic food

I agree
    Lennox's anglesea street I would consider to be muck, Zico's so so.

I dis-agree, much nicer than the Bandon Road one in my opinion (service is slower but food is nice most of the time)
    HillBillys I wouldn't give to the dog (honestly).

I agree - I can never understand why there is such a big queue when the pubs close! Guess it is the same reason for me going to Lennoxs last night. i.e. if you are hungry you'll eat anything / anywhere! :P
    For everyone who says Lennox's of Bandon Road is rubbish there are a few hundred that swear by it. The poll in the thread you linked to says a lot.

I've acknowledged it has a great rep I just don't think it deserves it based on my experience of the place.

I'd say so alright :)

I think Lennox's is quite nice but it depends what you get in there. Their chips are hit & miss & I avoid their burgers as well. When you order it & they open the draw with fully wrapped burgers in it & just add the sauces at the last minute puts me off. I like their chicken & battered sausages though.

Bandon Road ? They make the burgers fresh, you can hear the dude who takes the orders pass them on to the lads who make them, there and then, there is no drawer full of wrapped burgers in Bandon Road, unless they put one in on the last 10 days or so.

Bandon Road ? They make the burgers fresh, you can hear the dude who takes the orders pass them on to the lads who make them, there and then, there is no drawer full of wrapped burgers in Bandon Road, unless they put one in on the last 10 days or so.

Yep Bandon road. They don't cook the burgers to order. They have them pre-cooked. Next time you are in there watch whoever is working the burger station. In front of the griddle is a draw & when the burgers are ordered they are taken out from there. Edit: that's been the way for as long as I can remember in there.

• Advertisement

Yep Bandon road. They don't cook the burgers to order. They have them pre-cooked. Next time you are in there watch whoever is working the burger station. In front of the griddle is a draw & when the burgers are ordered they are taken out from there. Edit: that's been the way for as long as I can remember in there.

Now that you mention that I do remember seeing them grabbing burgers from a drawer however didn't order one so didn't realise that is what they were doing...

Kinda obvious now that I think of it that they must pre-cook them or semi-cook them, sure at the speed they fire them out they wouldn't have time to cook them from fresh even if they were really thin...

So when I order a salad burger and chips, and there is no one in front of me and the chips are there, why am I waiting for a few minutes, and why does the dude you pay tell me "just waiting on the burger". Surely they'd just whip one out of the drawer and give me that ?

I've never noticed this drawer and have often had to wait a few minutes for my burger to be cooked.

Not trying to be a cnut but my esperience does not tally with yours. Perhaps the drawer is used at peak times or something.

Now that you mention that I do remember seeing them grabbing burgers from a drawer however didn't order one so didn't realise that is what they were doing...

Kinda obvious now that I think of it that they must pre-cook them or semi-cook them, sure at the speed they fire them out they wouldn't have time to cook them from fresh even if they were really thin...

that doesnt inspire confidence at all tbh:( its like those burgers you can buy and microwave.. dont they understand that bread and beef dont require the same cooking times:confused::pac:

that doesnt inspire confidence at all tbh:(

I wouldn't take it as fact tbh

I wouldn't take it as fact tbh

Based on what I'v heard I would! Its not something people could mistake really.. if you see a burger being taken out of a drawer and it has already been prepared or half prepared then it must be happening

I understand that they have to have them pre-cooked but it's just the way they are in the drawer that puts me off. You have no way of seeing how many are in there. I'd guess they aren't in there to long as any time I have had a burger from there the bun has never been soggy which would happen quickly enough as the draw must be heated & they would sweat in the wrapping.

Not trying to be a cnut but my esperience does not tally with yours. Perhaps the drawer is used at peak times or something.

I'd say you are right about that, sure any chipper expecting a crowd is going to have some stuff ready in advance. i.e. batter / sauces etc..
    that doesnt inspire confidence at all tbh:( its like those burgers you can buy and microwave.. dont they understand that bread and beef dont require the same cooking times:confused::pac:

I'm not 100% sure what you mean...what part of it doesn't inspire confidence? Pre-cooking the burgers?

So when I order a salad burger and chips, and there is no one in front of me and the chips are there, why am I waiting for a few minutes, and why does the dude you pay tell me "just waiting on the burger". Surely they'd just whip one out of the drawer and give me that ?

I've never noticed this drawer and have often had to wait a few minutes for my burger to be cooked.

most of the times I have been in there would be in the evening times so it probably is used at peak times.

:D

All of this should be in the chipper thread

• Advertisement

:D

All of this should be in the chipper thread

oh yea.. how did that happen:rolleyes::D

it could be worse, there could be chit chat in the chipper thread:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

All this talk of food is making me hungry :(

Fancy a penguin bar? :)

Don't go to Lennox's anyway, 'tis disgusting :p

Glad I just ate before I saw this ha.

Just back from dentist - lets just say it was a good job I went before it was too late ha

Glad I just ate before I saw this ha.

Just back from dentist - lets just say it was a good job I went before it was too late ha
    but did he do a good job?

• Advertisement

but did he do a good job?
    She...yeah she cleaned them. But that's just the beginning. They look grand though but I destroyed them with coke years back unfort. They'll be grand though.

She went as far as asking me do I drink coke and keep it in my mouth without swallowing. Yeah I use it as mouth wash every morning. :confused:

They fine though :D - just need a few fillings.

She went as far as asking me do I drink coke and keep it in my mouth without swallowing. Yeah I use it as mouth wash every morning. :confused:
    lol, i could have told ya not to do that and i wouldnt even charge!

lol, i could have told ya not to do that and i wouldnt even charge!
    haha yeah. Cost me 100 euro :(

haha yeah. Cost me 100 euro :(

I reckon I'll have splashed out a grand once I have my current lash of treatments complete, 3 fillings, temp dressing, clean & root canal on a molar, I rarely spend a grand on a car :eek:

Still, I've never spent money on my teeth before and I'm 29 so it's not too bad.

I reckon I'll have splashed out a grand once I have my current lash of treatments complete, 3 fillings, temp dressing, clean & root canal on a molar, I rarely spend a grand on a car :eek:

Still, I've never spent money on my teeth before and I'm 29 so it's not too bad.
    I've to get 8 fillings would you believe

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement