Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit chat / Randomness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

oeb wrote: »
    They only take up space anyway, I only ever listen to music on my computer, from my mp3 player or in my car (via mp3 player) anyway.

I've never bought a MP3 online - are they full quality? I read a study about poor quality MP3s that put me off them. Apparantly listening to them makes you tired :eek:

....because your brain has to fill in the "missing" sounds.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

RoverJames wrote: »
    I can't really understand folks buying CDs unless they are heavily reduced when you can download them legally for small money. Books, fair enough, the libraries don't have lots of the new stuff.

I always buy the cds. I like to have the actual cd, I like the idea of supporting the artist and I love the artwork and sleeve work in the cds. I've also got a good few local band cds from purchasing at local gigs despite the ability to rip them from the sites. I've a huge collection and yes they take up space but I like to have them. Same with DVDs, huge collection and I only really download the odd game now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I've never bought a MP3 online - are they full quality? I read a study about poor quality MP3s that put me off them. Apparantly listening to them makes you tired :eek:

....because your brain has to fill in the "missing" sounds.....

I have never had any issues with them anyway. And I certainly can't tell the difference in sound between a song I ripped from something in my CD collection and something I bought in itunes.
    NoDice wrote: »
    I always buy the cds. I like to have the actual cd, I like the idea of supporting the artist and I love the artwork and sleeve work in the cds. I've also got a good few local band cds from purchasing at local gigs despite the ability to rip them from the sites. I've a huge collection and yes they take up space but I like to have them. Same with DVDs, huge collection and I only really download the odd game now and again.

He said 'legally' nodice =P

Buying a track on itunes or another digital distribution services DOES support the artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

oeb wrote: »
    He said 'legally' nodice =P

Buying a track on itunes or another digital distribution services DOES support the artist.

Yeah I understand but I still prefer to actually have the cd, the sleeve and artwork to boot. I like the collection. I've also started a record collection. I'm a bit of a hoarder. :)

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod and a sony walkman, I've used itunes for the odd song I'd hear on a tv show or ad but if a new album comes out I'd go straight for it in HMV. Also love their sales where you can get like 5 cds for 20 quid. Always go a bit mad at that time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Yeah I understand but I still prefer to actually have the cd, the sleeve and artwork to boot. I like the collection. I've also started a record collection. I'm a bit of a hoarder. :)

me too!

I like the CD - I also like that I can put the music anywhere once I've ripped it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I've stopped buying cds because i do not have the space to accommodate them, have loads of dvds though.

Ahhhh my arm hurts, hate blood tests :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

mudokon wrote: »
    I was thinking the same about the Cork store as they have a fairly captive market. Their is nowhere else in the Cork area to match them since Zavvi went bust. I read an article that they needed to reduce the number of stores to reduce their fixed costs and that most of the stores are on 7 year leases. So they may look at getting rid of the stores that have less time left on the leases as one of the criteria.

I wouldn't really buy CD's in there, mainly I buy DVD's but I would miss not being able to go in and rummage around the place if it was gone.

Yeah, I read an article similar to that but they said the Cork store would not be affected. I would be very surprised if it was. It really is the only proper music store in the city centre.
    And totally agree with the rummaging!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod and a sony walkman, I've used itunes for the odd song I'd hear on a tv show or ad but if a new album comes out I'd go straight for it in HMV. Also love their sales where you can get like 5 cds for 20 quid. Always go a bit mad at that time. :o

Me too. Though I have to say that compared to L.P's (thats vinyl records to you young folks) the artwork on CD's is much diminished. Also it is more tricky to roll a cigarette on a CD cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cleaved 2 of my fingers wide open today. Nice. Gonna be at least 2 weeks waiting for the skin to grow back. Think the kid I was teaching guitar to tonight got a bit freaked out when blood was dripping off one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Good lord! How did you do that?

• Advertisement

Cleaved 2 of my fingers wide open today. Nice. Gonna be at least 2 weeks waiting for the skin to grow back. Think the kid I was teaching guitar to tonight got a bit freaked out when blood was dripping off one :D

If I was you or the kid I'd have fainted :o
    Hope the damaged fingies don't too much interfere with life in general :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's a regular occurrance, took the top of a thumb clean off as a kid, got it sewn on again, and it's been downhill since then :) I'm well used to it at this stage. Honda Jazz 1, Peedee 0!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I have a sore tongue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Will Friday ever hurry up and come :(

Bowling, pub, club, good booze and good friends :D

kingtut wrote: »

Good story to go with that?
    Will Friday ever hurry up and come :(

Bowling, pub, club, good booze and good friends :D

'twill be here before you know it, once tomorrow is gone ;)

So bored and can't sleep, have resorted to watching Chelsea Lately

Rarely have trouble sleeping, years back when I did shift work I used to struggle to sleep the first night off after working a couple of nights, that's because I would have been welded to the bed all that day though :pac:

I wish i had no trouble sleeping, so sick of being up late and then not being able to get up the next morning :mad: need a normal sleeping pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

kingtut wrote: »

That's to be expected when one licks the blue waff... nevermind :D

Kitty is being nosey and sticking his head in my make up drawers, he has a big glittery powdered head now, looks so cute bless him :o

akamossy wrote: »
    I wish i had no trouble sleeping, so sick of being up late and then not being able to get up the next morning :mad: need a normal sleeping pattern

I can relate to the not being able to get up in the morning bit :pac:

• Advertisement

Yup well all the good intentions of trying to get up early went out the window and I ended up getting up at half 12, grrr :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hey lads, I'm sure there's been countless threads opened about this so don't want to start another.

Basically I'm living in Jacobs Island and looking to join a good gym nearby, I'm working in Cork Airport so anywhere in that vicinity would be good also.

Thought I saw people using gym equipment in the City Gate complex when I passed the other day - anybody know what the story is with this??

The only place I've really seen is the Rochestown but it seems fairly pricey @ €850 but I'll manage it if it's the best around

Any recommendations? If it's OT then I'll start a new thread it's no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

would oak grove be too far thats in blackrock i think http://www.oakgroveleisure.ie/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

PaulieC wrote: »

The only place I've really seen is the Rochestown but it seems fairly pricey @ €850 but I'll manage it if it's the best around

Man it would want to be one classy gym for that price :eek:

would oak grove be too far thats in blackrock i think http://www.oakgroveleisure.ie/

If the gym was fairly good regarding equipment etc. then I'd have no problem going a bit out of my way.

For the past few years I was in college living at Victoria Cross and going to the mardyke was a 2min walk so was used to having a really good gym right across the road.

The one gym that looks good and wouldn't be too far away from me, especially seeing as I'm on the South Link going to and from work would be Nemo Fitness - prices seem reasonable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

TBH, once you're on the South Ring it doesn't take too long to get anywhere.... Off peak at least. You could go through the tunnel to the gyms in the Radisson in Little Island, or Silver Springs. Going all the way to Leisure World in Bishopstown or I'veAGoldfishMemory Gym in Ballincollig wouldn't be too hard either.

It's a bit chilly atm, but I've heard of a lot of groups saving money by not going to the gym, and arranging group training sessions in local parks instead. A bit of googling could well turn up one in your area.

Man it would want to be one classy gym for that price :eek:

I know!!

I couldn't believe it and apparently it's a busy gym which I wasn't expecting at those prices!

TBH, once you're on the South Ring it doesn't take too long to get anywhere.... Off peak at least. You could go through the tunnel to the gyms in the Radisson in Little Island, or Silver Springs. Going all the way to Leisure World in Bishopstown or I'veAGoldfishMemory Gym in Ballincollig wouldn't be too hard either.

It's a bit chilly atm, but I've heard of a lot of groups saving money by not going to the gym, and arranging group training sessions in local parks instead. A bit of googling could well turn up one in your area.

Well I could join the Mardyke on the graduate package - but at the same time I don't want to be that far away - I know the link is handy but I'm not on massive wages seeing as I'm just out of college and my car drinks petrol :(

The Little Island idea is good though - didn't even think of looking there cheers :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mardyke is meant to be a fine gym,was thinking of joining it myself.

• Advertisement

mardyke is meant to be a fine gym,was thinking of joining it myself.

It's a brilliant gym - very busy though with students so the best times to go would be either early in the morning or around 9pm

I'd go back to the Mardyke it's just a bit too far away for me.

Got onto Nemo Fitness which seems like a fine gym and reasonably priced too, heading over to have a look around tonight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement