Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New place - back rent asked for?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

i leased a stores in a commercial park . when my 5year lease was nearly up they gave me a notice to leave . they then said they look for something else in the park for me .it took 15 months till they moved me between the time my lease was up and been moved they refused to take rent from me and now that I'm in my new place they asked for 15months back rent on the old place that they say i owe them .

can they do that does anyone know i refused to pay till i find out about this .i hope this is the right place for this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm guessing that 15 months of rent on a commercial premises is a lot of money, you might be better to get some proper legal advice.

It really depends on how they refused to take the rent, did you send a check but they returned it? or was it verbal? was anything in writing?

What reason did they give, was it under the assumption that you were to keep it or was it just never said and they assumed you knew to keep it and pay it when you got in the new premises.

Is the new premises owned by someone different (same complex and management). Has the premise you are in now been unoccupied for the last 15 months? was it even ready for occupation for the last 15 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you don't want to part with the money, you really need to talk to a solicitor.

There is a specific issue surrounding the 5 years - at this point, most commercial tenants gain additional rights. I imagine they will argue you were there on a licence, not a lease.

You could of course ask for a deal, where maybe you pay 12 of the 15 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

Senna wrote: »
    I'm guessing that 15 months of rent on a commercial premises is a lot of money, you might be better to get some proper legal advice.

It really depends on how they refused to take the rent, did you send a check but they returned it? or was it verbal? was anything in writing?

,,,,<<<< verbal they refused to take the money off me . .>>>

What reason did they give, was it under the assumption that you were to keep it or was it just never said and they assumed you knew to keep it and pay it when you got in the new premises.

<<<< if they took rent i have a hold on stores and they did not want that i told them dont asked for money when they moved me to new place and find something fast>>>>>>>>

Is the new premises owned by someone different (same complex and management).

,<<< same management>>>>>>

s the premise you are in now been unoccupied for the last 15 months? was it even ready for occupation for the last 15 months?

yes it has

Advertisement