Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creating my first mix

• 26-02-2009 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

My wife's birthday bash is on this Saturday and I wanted to make 2 or 3 CDs for this.

I've burned music CDs of course before, but have never done my own 'mix' where I'm editing tunes, splicing etc etc.

Any advice on what software to use that won't take me weeks to get up to speed.

In our social circle of ex-pats here there is a wide variety of taste. Any advice on mixing stuff like Trance, Electronica, Contemporary Pop etc and some 'ol crap' :P from 60s/70s/80s. Or is it just a step too far to try to somehow merge such different stuff on one CD?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If it's just a gathering of a load of people with different tastes I wouldn't be spending too much time trying to create the "perfect mix"
    It's a waste of time tbh.

I've done the music at loads of friends' parties and tbh the best thing to do is to make a few CDs with loads of big party songs or well known songs and stick them in the CD player and just leave it on play.

I actually did this at a party last Saturday and it worked a treat.

But even when you do this invariably what happens is you'll get someone that "knows better" and will try and hog the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If it's just a gathering of a load of people with different tastes I wouldn't be spending too much time trying to create the "perfect mix"
    It's a waste of time tbh.

I hear yeah. tbh it's largely just an excuse for me to do something I've always wanted to have a crack off ;)
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    But even when you do this invariably what happens is you'll get someone that "knows better" and will try and hog the music.

Isn't there just. Most of our crowd are an older lot. I'm one of the youngest at 38 - some of the older crowd think Music stopped back in 1975. At the last bash we had we finally got some 90s music on - nothing radical like, most of them liked it for a change but got one of em complaining.... she defo won't like what I got planned then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

why not setup a computer with decent speakers and playlists on itunes or atomixmp3 which is free I think from the makers of virtualdj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

sweetie wrote: »
    why not setup a computer with decent speakers and playlists on itunes or atomixmp3 which is free I think from the makers of virtualdj

Cheers for the suggestion. The party is being held at a friend's place - they have sort of a private pub (converted shed basically), so I'll just be using their setup. So I guess I'll just be bringing some cds.

Anyway I have pretty much made my first CD - I've used Mixmeister Express. There probably is better stuff out there, but it was easy enough to get up and running with.

I've given up trying to mix tracks from different genres - even more difficult than I thought it would be. So for my first CD I've gone sort of middle of the road - I've just done some contemporary dancy(ish) tunes -including a few from Rihanna, Nelly Furtado, a Portuguese guy called T.T (Portugal's answer to Justin Timberlake). I'll probably do a 70's mix next and then perhaps a Trance mix.

Advertisement