Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5D Mark II Focus Issues

• 26-02-2009 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have been looking at going full frame digital, which would mean looking at the 5D II (not interested in 1 series). However, I have heard a lot about problems with focus issues. It's slow, hunts, and isn't much of an upgrade at all from 5D. Anybody own one or give credit to these rumors? If so, I might just keep my 40d.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Iaia wrote: »
    I have been looking at going full frame digital, which would mean looking at the 5D II (not interested in 1 series). However, I have heard a lot about problems with focus issues. It's slow, hunts, and isn't much of an upgrade at all from 5D. Anybody own one or give credit to these rumors? If so, I might just keep my 40d.
    I've been using the centre cross and recomposing when shooting fast. The outer points seem a bit hit and miss, and they're too close to the centre for my liking, not an issue for portraits but more so for rule of thirds compositions.

I haven't even used the hd video yet, maybe in time I'll find an application but for now my feeling is that a better af system would have been preferable, as pointed out by others here apres launch.

Another issue to factor in is the extortionate price of accessories. It looks like the price point of the 5dII was set near breakeven and their plan is for margins on the accessories. For ~€5 on the factory price they could have included a dc output on the battery charger so it doubles as an ac adapter, but instead they're complicating what should be simple just to delay the aftermarket. In fairness the pressure is on to take this tack as people tend to buy bodies based on reviews of bodies, and at least the aftermarket eventually gets there forcing prices down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

It's slow, hunts, and isn't much of an upgrade at all from 5D.

Whoever told you that (assuming you didn't formulate it yourself from some badly written reviews) is an idiot. The 5D is an outstanding camera and the mark 2 builds well on that. Not only is it an enormous upgrade from a crop sensor camera, it's a worthwhile upgrade from an original 5D. I can't see how anyone, other than maybe someone coming from a 1D series with a large collection of big, expensive white lenses would call the autofocus 'slow'. It certainly isn't slow.

If you actually go to a shop or trade show and try one out instead of reading reviews, you'll see what an amazing camera it is. Stop reading, go try one. If you're not convinced after that, stick with your 40D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

The only such comments I've come across on www.dpreview.com and other forums are invariably from trolls who not only have never used a 5D2 but have never even been within shouting distance of the camera. The camera has received universal acclaim but whether you need 21MP and the movie mode is another matter. The 5D Mark 1 is still a super camera and has to be a serious contender for anyone thinking of going full frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Rymus knows all.

ah well jesus say no more.. if it was posted on the dpreview forum that explains everything. Why only last week Elvis Presley posted a thought provoking review of a Hasselblad R2D2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Iaia - if you come to any of our meetings and outings, there will be at least one 5D. Feel free to put your lens on it and try it on your own.
    That's how I fell in love with 5D. I would never consider such camera in my life without feeling it, trying it and seeing the pictures from it.
    I have second 5D mk1 and I am proud! (Who needs holidays?)

ThOnda wrote: »
    Who needs holidays?

That's the spirit! Who needs holidays when you can have either a new camera or nice new glass? Well, unless your holiday is to go somewhere to pick up the nice new camera or glass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Rymus knows all.

Dear Rymus - what's the square root of 1?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

I was at a David Oliver seminar on monday they were talking about high iso on the d3 and 5dmk11, somone comment that the 5Dmk11 are dying all over the place nobody seemed to disagree with this, not even the 5d owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

None that I've been in contact with have died... And generally, technology dosn't last very long with me around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

liamtinney wrote: »
    I was at a David Oliver seminar on monday they were talking about high iso on the d3 and 5dmk11, somone comment that the 5Dmk11 are dying all over the place nobody seemed to disagree with this, not even the 5d owners.

That's probably something to do with Luminous Landscape's Antartic trip, it seems there was a 25% failure rate of 5DmkIIs.

Hardly typical use though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I read the DPreviews regularly and the amount of Trolls in there is unbelievable! Send Calina over there to sort 'em out I say!
    There is so much jealousy aimed at the 5D II....

From the various sites I've read and my own use of the Camera I wouldn't swap it with any other.....it suits my needs totally.
    That failure of the Antarctica trip while not in the norm was at a warmer time of year than normal and is also confusing as a lot of people commented that where they are was colder and they've had no problems.

Also while everybody raves on about the iso on the D700 beating the 5D II with my own eyes I can't see the difference and even in their tests it was a tiny percentage...although if you you SRAW on the 5D II which downsizes the megapixels to the D700s 12MP the 5D II won hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Also while everybody raves on about the iso on the D700 beating the 5D II with my own eyes I can't see the difference and even in their tests it was a tiny percentage...although if you you SRAW on the 5D II which downsizes the megapixels to the D700s 12MP the 5D II won hands down.
    +1, compare equal sized prints from both for the same composition, game over.

Advertisement