Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on attic conversion

Options
  • 26-02-2009 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a "truss fan" (?) shaped roof (see attachment). I was thinking of converting the center area into a mini office, but I need some advice of altering the structure of the frame. The structure is a triple A-frame shape with vertical struts in between the center A and edge A on either side.

Is it possible, without major expense or complexity to remove/ alter the center A so that the open area in the center would be the distance between the vertical struts.

The Apex is about 9 foot from the top of the joyce to the apex and the vertical struts are around 10 foot apart.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Pre-fabricated roof trusses are more complicated to convert and therefore more expensive. They can not be safely converted without a Structural Engineer.

A Structural Engineer is your 1st port of call. He / She will visit the site and will know if your proposal is viable and the lightly cost. As you will basically be building a new structure within the existing roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Tok

Aah.... right...... bugger.
    Thanks for the reply.

I was really hoping this would be a minor job.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

The alteration is possible but would defnitely require
    a nput from a Structural.

If the property is under structural warranty (premier of homebond)
    the alteration would affect the terms of cover.

Usually money well spent. An engineer would also advisse on issues such as Fire(Part B) of Technical Guidance Documents of the Building Regulations, the Stairway (Part K) and Insulation (Part L).

Finally an Engineer would be in a position to Certify both the structure and Compliance with Regulations and Planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi
    You cannot alter a truss roof what so ever. The structure of the truss depends on the truss AS DESIGNED. Sorry but that's it. The complete combination of the truss timber lens / steel plates / triangulation is its strength and connot be altered.:(

Heatherview

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

hi without being onsite its hard to give good sound advice, but am willing to have a look at it today p m
    your details if you wish regds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

It can be done alright. I have been involved in quite a few.

It usually requires the addition of new purlins and beefing up the trusses in places. In this design you will need joisting for a floor also as the truss timber will not be sufficient

Its not as big a job as you think. A couple of good chippys and an engineer could handle the whole process in a few weeks work.

Ask around. prices for tradesmen and engineers are not what they used to be.

don't write your project off just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hi
    You cannot alter a truss roof what so ever. The structure of the truss depends on the truss AS DESIGNED. Sorry but that's it. The complete combination of the truss timber lens / steel plates / triangulation is its strength and connot be altered.:(

Heatherview

I accept the sentiment here and the advice.
    However trusses can be altered iff u know what u are doing and design accordingly so a blanket 'cannot... whatsoever' is a bit......

Advertisement