Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the Eircom phone line needed to be active to have BB with another provider?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi

I am with Eircom phone line and I have Digiweb for BB.

I rang Eircom to cancel the line as I never used it, and they told me that my BB will be cancelled also.

Is this true? I thought once you area have BB, you don't need a line.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks and Regards

Ray

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You need a line.

Unless you go with UPC or a wireless provider like Irish Broadband.

*edit* Didn't see the digiweb part, I thought this was wireless? If so, you don't need a line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You require a phone line or PSTN line thats operational if you have ADSL Broadband, Eircom are correct in what they told you.

The whole requiring an active phone line for ADSL is not just an Irish thing it applys to all ADSL Broadband providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ray007 wrote: »
    Hi

I am with Eircom phone line and I have Digiweb for BB.

I rang Eircom to cancel the line as I never used it, and they told me that my BB will be cancelled also.

Is this true? I thought once you area have BB, you don't need a line.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks and Regards

Ray

Yes, if you want bb via DSL, someone must pay for the line, either you do, or it is bundled into your bb bill.

Only way to get rid of eircom is to get another form of bb, either via cable (NTL) or wireless..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You need a line.

Unless you go with UPC or a wireless provider like Irish Broadband.

*edit* Didn't see the digiweb part, I thought this was wireless? If so, you don't need a line.

Digiweb also provide a DSL service, depending on where ones lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ray007

thanks for all the help. I thought differently.

i am not sure bout digiwed wireless where I live, I will try on their web. I am quite happy with their services, but I am gonna have to look for bundles, with whoever, maybe perlico or even digiweb. There is no O2/VF/3 where I live.

Thanks once again

Ray

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thanks for all the help. I thought differently.

i am not sure bout digiwed wireless where I live, I will try on their web. I am quite happy with their services, but I am gonna have to look for bundles, with whoever, maybe perlico or even digiweb. There is no O2/VF/3 where I live.

Thanks once again

Ray

I'd imagine bundles are your best bet, whats your current package and total cost including line rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ray007

I pay 29.95 incVAT for the BB. 3Mb and I have to say I am quite happy as I get above 2Mb most of the times. Also 20Gb per month allowance.

And I think it is around 25 or 26 eu per month to Eircom for line rental.

I might have to look into another provider. Maybe clearwire or one of those you have the dish installed in your house.

not sure. but I am reluctant to change to save 5 euros/per month as I think I might be the only BB user in the area>

Thanks for your replies

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I pay 29.95 incVAT for the BB. 3Mb and I have to say I am quite happy as I get above 2Mb most of the times. Also 20Gb per month allowance.

And I think it is around 25 or 26 eu per month to Eircom for line rental.

I might have to look into another provider. Maybe clearwire or one of those you have the dish installed in your house.

not sure. but I am reluctant to change to save 5 euros/per month as I think I might be the only BB user in the area

Clearwire is nowhere near what you have now. You'll be ending up in a service quality, support and billing nightmare.

As for DSL services, that's why you always have to add the line-rental to your broadband cost, you can't get the DSL without.

Fixed wireless definatly might work cheaper for you, if you have the option.

/M

Advertisement