Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Appreciation Thread

• 26-02-2009 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

In response to the idiotic 'Americans' thread I thought I'd start an American appreciation thread instead! I for one love America and American people. As I mentioned in an earlier post I travelled across that magnificent country last summer and loved it! Even the one street towns (slight exaggerations, only slight!) - people were so friendly.

So what do you like/love/ about America? What kind of positive experiences have you had there that you probably mightn't find elsewhere.

Oh and I've never been to Disney World but I'm pretty sure I love that too! :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

I'm heading over there in two weeks to New York so will repost back with my experiences then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

They have good roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Ive had 4 American girlfriends and they all shave down below. Not a blade of hair to be seen. Love it.

Seriously tho they are some of the friendliest people youll come across. Much friendlier than what youd find in Dublin, at any rate. Very nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

The Canadians in my college class are ridiculously smart.

Also, I love a good deal of American films, TV dramas and comedies, even if alot of them are ****, but hey, that's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Good thread.

I feel their is a lot of ignorance, and even downright racism at times, towards the country and its people.

Its really a tremendous place that has given the world so much. A lot of people seem to think that outside of Washington, Chicago, LA, Florida, New York and Boston every American is a thick racist redneck which is ironic considering how close minded, ignorant and offensive that view is.

I love America, I think the country and its people have a tremendous attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My favourite thing about the US is the naming conventions used for the streets / road systems. We have a lot to learn in that respect.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

After having lived there I found out that Americans at home are nothing like some of the stereotypical Americans you see outside their country. I guess you could say that about many Irish people living here too. I lived in Northern Cali and met quite a diverse bunch who were well educated, opened minded and very much aware of what is going on in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Babybing wrote: »
    Good thread.

I feel their is a lot of ignorance, and even downright racism at times, towards the country and its people.

Its really a tremendous place that has given the world so much. A lot of people seem to think that outside of Washington, Chicago, LA, Florida, New York and Boston every American is a thick racist redneck which is ironic considering how close minded, ignorant and offensive that view is.

But taken alot from it and have done more damage than good....

twinytwo wrote: »

If you truely think that, you are worse than the people in the video in the OP.

Edit: Me smart, though tthis was the other topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

smccarrick wrote: »
    My favourite thing about the US is the naming conventions used for the streets / road systems. We have a lot to learn in that respect.....
    Isn't that a Dutch thing?

• Advertisement

If you truely think that, you are worse than the people in the video in the OP.

What world are you living in???

Everything from war to global warming and the current world econmic problems can be attributed to america.

Everything from war to global warming and the current world econmic problems can be attributed to america.

Thats right, America killed your dog too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

They have good roads.

Yeah they've great roads! And hardly any traffic lights around towns either. First to the stop sign goes and then the next one goes...any everyone obeys this.

War? America invented War?

I'm heading over there in two weeks to New York so will repost back with my experiences then :)

New York's amazing. People are friendly but not as friendly as elsewhere. Well maybe they are I guess they just don't care too much about you, but not in a bad way. There's such a diverse group of people there.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    War? America invented War?

No i mean war in a general term.. ie Vietnam/ First and Second Gulf War etc

Good thread.

Very true. And the people that give out are still more than happy to pay to watch American movies, go on holidays there, buy their products etc.

Thats right, America killed your dog too.

:confused: ok?... no debate then

smccarrick wrote: »

I totally agree. It's such an easy place to find your way in. And absolutely EVERYWHERE, even the most isolated places have adequate road signs and directions from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

American's are cool, i have worked with a lot of them who are now friends...

Although they canno handle their booze, they are friendly, easy going and generally nice people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fantastic fast food.

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Yeah they've great roads! And hardly any traffic lights around towns either. First to the stop sign goes and then the next one goes...any everyone obeys this.
    What I love about the lights there is that after 12am or 1am the lights at intersections flash amber allowing you to drive straight through if its clear. It sh!ts me over here when you are driving late at night and have to stop and wait at a set of red lights waiting for them to change without a car in sight.

No i mean war in a general term.. ie Vietnam/ First and Second Gulf War etc
    So they're the only country that have gone to war?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Isn't that a Dutch thing?

I beleive that it is actually based on (and then added to) the civil engineering that was originally done in Limerick City.

I could be mistaken on that but I do beleive that Limerick was the first city to be setup on the grid system.

So they're the only country that have gone to war?

Do you need my help to answer that?:rolleyes:

I'm heading over there next week. Can't wait!
    I've been to Boston before but I was so jet lagged that the jury is still out as to whether I like the place or not.

I beleive that it is actually based on (and then added to) the civil engineering that was originally done in Limerick City.

I could be mistaken on that but I do beleive that Limerick was the first city to be setup on the grid system.
    LOL

biko wrote: »
    Fantastic fast food.
    *Missing Mel's Diner*

:(

Do you need my help to answer that?:rolleyes:
    So you hate all the other big super powers then?

dSTAR wrote: »
    What I love about the lights there is that after 12am or 1am the lights at intersections flash amber allowing you to drive straight through if its clear. It sh!ts me over here when you are driving late at night and have to stop and wait at a set of red lights waiting for them to change without a car in sight.

That is so annoying I know! And people there can actually use the motorway properly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Have Travelled to America 4 Times and will go again this year for 2 weeks.
    Have Family over there so it helps.
    Last Trip was in 2007.Was in Vegas, Grand canyon and then back to California.
    It is a great country they are so friendly. Although it so different from state to state and some of their laws in each state are crazy but that what makes them unique I think.
    Never stayed in New York Boston or Chicago . Might do though soon. Only ever toured the west coast.
    Hope I don't have any hassle getting in this year. In 2007 Had hassle in San Francisco airport even though I had everything up to date.

*Missing Mel's Diner*

:(

Great place!

So you hate all the other big super powers then?

Stop being a troll..I pointed out faults with america.. so why are you trying to derail the thread?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've worked with a fair few. Have to say I like them in general. Obviously it's a generalisation, but I do believe there is such a thing as a national character in broad strokes at least. Understandably as ones culture does have an effect. I found them quite polite. Tendency to enthusiasm which sometimes grated with my reserve but actually a good thing. They vary a lot depending where they are from too. America is such a huge place with a lot of diversity of cultures, so that's not surprising and you can't pin down "americans" any easier than you can pin down "europeans".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Stop being a troll..I pointed out faults with america.. so why are you trying to derail the thread?

No, you made a incorrect statement. Thats like saying everyone in Cork ****s horses :confused:

No, you made a incorrect statement. Thats like saying everyone in Cork ****s horses :confused:

What incorrect statement would that be?

• Advertisement

Great place!
    The burgers are so good, along with the grilled vegetable sandwiches and cheese fries all washed down with chocolate malt. Yeah baby!

What incorrect statement would that be?

How about this then,

How could America have caused more harm than good if it got itself to the status where its economy dictates most of the worlds?

The burgers are so good, along with the grilled vegetable sandwiches and cheese fries all washed down with chocolate malt. Yeah baby!

I love the breakfasts over there too! Must had bacon and eggs (over easy :D) nearly everyday I was there! And the hash browns! Mmm! I may have put on a pound of two on that holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

I married an American three years ago and I'm happy to say that my in laws are cool. I travel to Iowa three times a year (carbon footprint is GO!) and I love it. People are warm, open and friendly. Sometimes that's mistaken as naivety but it's not; it's no different to the good vibes you get going on holidays down the country, or in rural France or whatever. Good people

Are you mental? You do realise we wouldn't be so rich without America for Trade reasons, right?

Just for the craic, have a think and come up with some American stuff you watch on TV, or eat, etc.

• Advertisement

I'm being a troll? Ha!
    You're the one that's looking for a reaction by saying that they've caused more harm than good in the world. I'm just calling you out on a nonsense statement.

How about this then,

How could America have caused more harm than good if it got itself to the status where its economy dictates most of the worlds?

Hence why the world economy is the way it is now?.. whats your point?

I'm being a troll? Ha!
    You're the one that's looking for a reaction by saying that they've caused more harm than good in the world. I'm just calling you out on a nonsense statement.

nonsence??.. is the statement wrong? Why not point out the good they have done?

Hence why the world economy is the way it is now?.. whats your point?

Well thats the other countries own faults for being so dependant on them, not Americas.

And as for wars, people complain when America are slow to join wars(ww2) and then complain when they do get involved? They just can't win with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Is that the restaurant in California where all the J1s work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I totally agree. It's such an easy place to find your way in. And absolutely EVERYWHERE, even the most isolated places have adequate road signs and directions from there.

I am sure that they put numbers on the streets because otherwise all the Yanks would get lost.

Pal wrote: »
    I am sure that they put numbers on the streets because otherwise all the Yanks would get lost.

Oh no you didn't:eek:

Seriously, it's the best way to plan a city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Its really a tremendous place that has given the world so much.
    Well, the countries of the world have given them their fathers, mothers, sons and daughters as immigrants, and continues to do so. Some have referred to it as a "melting pot," but I like a different metaphor called a "stew pot." In the first case everyone becomes homogeneous or more similar than different, which is not the case if you have visited the USA; rather, the "Irish" potatoes retain some of their original characteristics, while at the same time taking on the flavour of the stew about them.

I would prefer to live in a world where the America was the sole superpower wielding its power rather than a fragmented world with tyrants popping up all over the place invading neighboring countries. And before you attack my post I have read Chomsky and after yawning through most of it still can't envision a better alternative to American hegemony. Roll on American might!

Well thats the other countries own faults for being so dependant on them, not Americas.

And as for wars, people complain when America are slow to join wars(ww2) and then complain when they do get involved? They just can't win with some people.

It has nothing to do with being dependent on america.. Clinton passed a law in like 93? that forced banks to give out loans... 80% of these people never even made the first repayment and they was nothing the bank could do about it so they sold these loans to othe banks in oither countries.( talking 100's of billions)..

Not talking about WW2.. America did what they had to

• Advertisement
Advertisement