Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'd like to know who has ACTUALLY met a Canadian who says aboot. Or even sounds any different from the transatlantic accent they use on any given North American news station.

Everyone expects me to say "aboot" and "eh" but I never have, and neither has anyone I've known who's Canadian, unless they were from the middle of nowhere and prone to "country ways" if you know what I mean..

..and no, Canadians aren't "essentially the same," so bugger off! :mad:

/end rant #2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

liah wrote: »
    Everyone expects me to say "aboot" and "eh" but I never have, and neither has anyone I've known who's Canadian, unless they were from the middle of nowhere and prone to "country ways" if you know what I mean..

What do you mean by "country ways" liah? Are you implying that every Canadian outside the cities are inferior or culturally limited? Would this theory hold for other countries such as Ireland?

(stirring)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'd like to know who has ACTUALLY met a Canadian who says aboot. Or even sounds any different from the transatlantic accent they use on any given North American news station.

/end rant #2!

Ive being to Canada.. ive being in 2 canadians and i went to college with a guy called John St something or other..

Anyhow the pronouncation of the letter "O" However much you may deny it is distinctly different than the neighbours down south, in addition.. the "American" accent isnt as strong, its softer and not as much an accent.

Haha, no, I'm referring to our version of hicks... country people are grand, I'm one too, but there's a special sort that are a wee bit funny, if you get my drift ;)

What part of Canada are you talking about, because if it's one of the midwest provinces then yeah, they do speak a little funny (specifically Saskatchewan, Manitoba and some parts of Alberta). Or at least, the way you're thinking. Then there's anything east of Quebec where it's just a myriad of French, Scottish, and Irish-style accents.

But British Columbia and Ontario? Sound just like any other random North American, except a bit softer.

Guarantee you if you spoke to me you'd not be able to pin me as Canadian, nor would you be able to pin any of the people I've ever met who were Canadian as such...

Haha, no, I'm referring to our version of hicks... country people are grand, I'm one too, but there's a special sort that are a wee bit funny, if you get my drift ;)

Guarantee you if you spoke to me you'd not be able to pin me as Canadian, nor would you be able to pin any of the people I've ever met who were Canadian as such...

Now you've really tweaked my interes:Dt... where would the special sort come from?

Oh, and we all know Canadians are easy to pick out (just look for the maple leaf on their back pack or clothing and barring that, there's the Tim Hortons mug apparently.

Truth, Canadians are easy to pick out, you're right about the maple leaf-- it's because we don't want to be branded as Americans, so we make it blatantly obvious where we're from! :p
    Don't own a Tim Horton's mug, though. Actually, I was astonished-- a couple weeks ago I was in a Spar I think here in Mullingar and there was a tiny little Tim Hortons thing selling coffee and donuts-- not even REMOTELY like what they have back home but still, it was cool! Reminded me of home, and made me really want a Boston Creme donut...

The "special sort" of Canadians tend to come from those Midwest provinces that nobody ever really knows about, Manitoba/Saskatchewan and the like, from the small towns where there's nothing around them except flatlands for miles (not even trees), tiny towns with no newcomers, couple attractive cousins.. you know how it can get! :pac:

Truth, Canadians are easy to pick out, you're right about the maple leaf-- it's because we don't want to be branded as Americans, so we make it blatantly obvious where we're from! :p
    Don't own a Tim Horton's mug, though. Actually, I was astonished-- a couple weeks ago I was in a Spar I think here in Mullingar and there was a tiny little Tim Hortons thing selling coffee and donuts-- not even REMOTELY like what they have back home but still, it was cool! Reminded me of home, and made me really want a Boston Creme donut...

The "special sort" of Canadians tend to come from those Midwest provinces that nobody ever really knows about, Manitoba/Saskatchewan and the like, from the small towns where there's nothing around them except flatlands for miles (not even trees), tiny towns with no newcomers, couple attractive cousins.. you know how it can get! :pac:

Aye, I think Cuisine de France bought into Timmy's a few years ago which is why they're hear. I'm a newfie and will be home later this year and will undoubtedly enjoy a couple boston creams.

Aha, that's why you were bugging me about the hicks.. thought I would make a Newfie joke!

Newfies are definitely an interesting folk.. really wish I could understand why on earth their accent is still so different from the rest of the country. Definitely sound like boggers though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's a province in Canada that is predominately French, it includes the city of Montreal which I'm sure you've heard of as it's one of the larger, more known cities in the country.

Basically, the reason why I (and quite a few other Canadians) can't stand the Quebecois is partially because of the Separatists. The Separatists have a campaign to try and make Quebec into its own country, inside of Canada.

They're quite arrogant, as a rule, just very full of themselves and closed off-- quite like the French of France. You try speaking English to them and they won't respond til you speak in French (though in Montreal it's not so bad because it's such a tourist hotspot; it's mainly the smaller cities and towns.)

Road signs, store signs, etc. in Quebec are all seulement (only) en Francais, whereas in the entirety of the country outside of Quebec the signs are in English and French (exactly how signs in Ireland are both English and Irish).

They don't cater to the rest of the country at all, despite us looking out for them, and are just very stand-offish and unwelcoming.

Maybe it's just something to do with the language itself, as I've heard French from a lot of the rest of the world tend to be quite full of themselves.

Either way, not a fan...

Have you tried oppressing the Separatists? If they're anything like their french cousins, they'll surrender and beg for help from the british.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have you tried oppressing the Separatists? If they're anything like their french cousins, they'll surrender and beg for help from the british.

Maybe not. Remember your history- it wasn't the British who sacked and burnt Washington......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Good roads, logical civic layout (generally),
    strong optimism, unwavering 'can do' attitude,
    a warm, open, non-judgmental vibe. Admiration
    for the achiever, no begrudgery. Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Folk can knock America for many reasons but their attitude to respecting those that are willing to work hard, is breath of fresh air that we should be importing by the air-spray can load.

Especially since many people in Ireland *cough* D4 *cough* seem intent on transforming into an exact clone of an American. Shame they can't adopt the same values and dare I say, friendliness of our American friends.

When I was in America last Summer (go Chicago!) I was amazed by how helpful all of them were. We got in contact with a landlord to view one of his vacant houses. When we decided it wasn't in our desired location, he proceeded to ring up his friends and asked if they had any available houses. He let us hop in to his brand new Merc and drove a long distance to show us his friends houses and gave us many more contacts.

Another thing is when we were in downtown, lost amongst the skyscrapers people would approach us and ask if we needed any help in where we were headed to.

Can you imagine what the chances are that an Irish person would help, without asking to, you find your way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

/end rant #2!

I moved to Canada last year, and I'd like to say, there is a definite difference in regards to 'o's . . . and while there are some people who don't say 'eh' at all, there are others who use it a lot! And I'm almost as close to America as you can get here. ;)

Again, what province? British Columbia and Ontario have VERY Americanised accents, whereas Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan sound like a South Park caricature, Quebec is French, and everything East of that is completely off the charts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I know loads of them who use 'eh', but only a few who have used 'aboot' around me. Of course they were all from the WHL !! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Lived in NY for six years and travelled all across the states. Never once did i find myself unwanted and the people are very very friendly.Going to Disneyworld next week with the kids and TBH can't wait to escape the doom and gloom here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Highsider wrote: »
    Lived in NY for six years and travelled all across the states. Never once did i find myself unwanted and the people are very very friendly.Going to Disneyworld next week with the kids and TBH can't wait to escape the doom and gloom here.:)

I went to florida last year and I have to say the people are lovely. I want to go again but damn no money!

Also, DisneyWorld rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Again, what province? British Columbia and Ontario have VERY Americanised accents, whereas Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan sound like a South Park caricature, Quebec is French, and everything East of that is completely off the charts..

As a Canadian myself, I really can hear the "oot" and "aboot" whenever I head back home to family. It's not as strong or noticable as the stereotypes play up, but I can certainly hear it. And I'm talking about Ontario here. ;)

As for Tim Hortons, oh how I'd love an Ice Cap and Tim Bits right about now. OM NOMS

Lived in England for six months, went back, didn't notice anything at all.. but I'm quite near the south, in the Niagara region only about 45 minutes away from the Falls so maybe there's an incredibly noticeable difference as opposed to something across the lake? No idea. Either way, NEVER noticed it unless the party was particularly country.

And I would absolutely adore an Iced Capp... and a Boston Creme... and a whole wheat and honey bagel toasted with cream cheese... ah jesus, I miss Timmy's :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mollypop

Aha, that's why you were bugging me about the hicks.. thought I would make a Newfie joke!

Newfies are definitely an interesting folk.. really wish I could understand why on earth their accent is still so different from the rest of the country. Definitely sound like boggers though :p

I lived in Canada for a while, people kept asking me if I was a Newfie. Then I met one and realised why. I met one who i was convinced was from Waterford, the accent sounds strangely Irish.

Love Canadians, won't comment on the Americans.

• The US is one of my favourite countries to visit. I worked in New York one summer, having visited family there in the past, and I loved it. The more time I spend there, the more I like it, there's SO much to do and see, it's unreal. I had a list of everything I wanted to do and I didn't even get half of it done in four months. The people are so nice as well - they don't bullsh*t or do 'fake nice' which is refreshing but they're really friendly. I lived in a rough-ish neighbourhood in Queens and the people in the local shops learned my name and remembered my 'regular' order - never got that in Dublin. It's so big and diverse, you can be/do whatever you want, there's something there for everyone. I'm dying to go back, trying to find a way.

mollypop wrote: »
    I lived in Canada for a while, people kept asking me if I was a Newfie. Then I met one and realised why. I met one who i was convinced was from Waterford, the accent sounds strangely Irish.

Love Canadians, won't comment on the Americans.

The only official Gaeltacht outside of Ireland is in Ontario.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_North_American_Gaeltacht

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's also a small community of Irish speakers in Newfoundland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mollypop

Adiboo wrote: »
    The only official Gaeltacht outside of Ireland is in Ontario.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_North_American_Gaeltacht

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's also a small community of Irish speakers in Newfoundland.

Think they're a pretty large Irish community in Newfoundland, no sure if they're Irish speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

americans :rolleyes:

in the words of a guy from stockholm in my class
    americanisation is a curse to this world and the world would be better off if it was destroyed

Or 'Are you happy to be Irish, Italian, French, British, German?

It beats being an american.

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];59218063]The US is one of my favourite countries to visit. I worked in New York one summer, having visited family there in the past, and I loved it. The more time I spend there, the more I like it, there's SO much to do and see, it's unreal. I had a list of everything I wanted to do and I didn't even get half of it done in four months. The people are so nice as well - they don't bullsh*t or do 'fake nice' which is refreshing but they're really friendly. I lived in a rough-ish neighbourhood in Queens and the people in the local shops learned my name and remembered my 'regular' order - never got that in Dublin. It's so big and diverse, you can be/do whatever you want, there's something there for everyone. I'm dying to go back, trying to find a way.[/quote]

pathetic.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

acontadino wrote: »

I wouldn't care less what country I was from. Whether it be Ethiopia, Ireland or America.

Must be a pretty pathetic life if thats what you pride yourself on :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

pathetic.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

blow69 wrote: »

Another thing is when we were in downtown, lost amongst the skyscrapers people would approach us and ask if we needed any help in where we were headed to.

Can you imagine what the chances are that an Irish person would help, without asking to, you find your way?

On account of the attitude you just described that I encountered so many times in the States, I now always bend over backwards to help out Yanks over here. I found a group of them standing on Suffolk street a while back, staring at a map. I asked them where they were trying to find: Grafton Street! I think I must have been slapped on the back about six times in the two seconds after I replied. They're so friendly!

In my job, I genuinely look forward to about 2:00 pm, because that means New Yorkers will be at their desks, and hopefully asking me for stuff. Their attitude is so refreshing, and they always seem to have a sense of humour. I like reminding them that they're completely incorrect for saying 'good morning' when it is clearly 3:25 pm and stuff like that, and not one has ever reacted with anything other than a good-natured laugh. They'll also always send e-mails just thanking me after I reply to a query and the like.

My favourite Yank experience to date: when I was on my J1 in Boston 7 years ago, one of the staff in Arty's Diner in Medford was low on change, so he handed me $100 and asked me to get him coin bags from the liquor store across the street. He didn't know me beyond my face and first name. You guys think an Irishman would ever do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Why do the United States need such a large military presence overseas? I know Americans like guns and hunting, but they can do that at home.

I heard they have over 700 overseas bases and thought that was an exaggeration until I started to use Google ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Army_installations_in_Germany

• Advertisement

Wacker wrote: »
    On account of the attitude you just described that I encountered so many times in the States, I now always bend over backwards to help out Yanks over here. I found a group of them standing on Suffolk street a while back, staring at a map. I asked them where they were trying to find: Grafton Street! I think I must have been slapped on the back about six times in the two seconds after I replied. They're so friendly!

In my job, I genuinely look forward to about 2:00 pm, because that means New Yorkers will be at their desks, and hopefully asking me for stuff. Their attitude is so refreshing, and they always seem to have a sense of humour. I like reminding them that they're completely incorrect for saying 'good morning' when it is clearly 3:25 pm and stuff like that, and not one has ever reacted with anything other than a good-natured laugh. They'll also always send e-mails just thanking me after I reply to a query and the like.

My favourite Yank experience to date: when I was on my J1 in Boston 7 years ago, one of the staff in Arty's Diner in Medford was low on change, so he handed me $100 and asked me to get him coin bags from the liquor store across the street. He didn't know me beyond my face and first name. You guys think an Irishman would ever do that?

So what did you do with the money?

Why?

The poster has been indoctrinated by bull****.
    so big and diverse you can be/do whatever you want

the yank love in.

And btw to donald-duck, you're spot on. I am Irish/Italian/European but ultimately I'm human but thank god I wasn't born in that country. I went to New York and it isn't a patch on Paris or London.

Americans are so nice, but so nice its almost uncomfortable. They definetly have some agenda. Its not natural how they act. Funny thing in Paris, was strolling around and seen some fat yank family talking to a Bulgarian(thief was obviously scoping them out) The guy offered to take his bags to the hotel and the yank goes 'oh wow super'...before he handed them over someone spotted this and informed the yank. his flustered state in the aftermath was funny.

So I find this thread to be rediclous the yanks deserve no appreciation I'm afraid

the yank love in.

And btw to donald-duck, you're spot on. I am Irish/Italian/European but ultimately I'm human but thank god I wasn't born in that country.

It's a thread entitled American Appreciation Thread, what did you expect?

If there was a God i would thank him for not being born in Sudan, Ethopia Rwanda etc. your priorities are way out of whack.

To quote Rocky Balbao(a true American hero)

"If i can change, and you can change everybody can change"

U.S.A
    U.S.A
    U.S.A

well personally I haven't allowed myself to be infiltrated by much american crap. one or two tv shows, couple of films but I'm not brainwashed by their patriotic nonsense that most of their media seems to push.

Just look at their films for christ sake.

I see no reason why the americans desevre a thread like this? they don't.
    as a collective they have bullied their way to the top and now enjoy world domination. its time we here on this part of the world stand up to them and not play second fiddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

America, nice general population, the country is run by idiots, they make crap cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

So what did you do with the money?
    I brought back change! How could I do otherwise? My BLT was on the house though...

well personally I haven't allowed myself to be infiltrated by much american crap. one or two tv shows, couple of films but I'm not brainwashed by their patriotic nonsense that most of their media seems to push.

as a collective they have bullied their way to the top and now enjoy world domination. its time we here on this part of the world stand up to them and not play second fiddle.

How could you be "brainwashed by patriotic nonsense" considering you're not American why would you be patriotic about it?

Yes i do look at their films... all the time, greatest film industry in the world.

Why should we stand up to America?

"Yeah f/uck you America, who do yous think you are creating thousands of jobs here, helping with the peace proccess and generally being a nice bunch of people, yeah fu/ck yous up your big American bums"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buynow

Just ignore the troll, he will go away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'm in Ontario.

But MAN, do I miss Dunkin' Donuts. Much better coffee than Tim Horton's, IMO! :p

SeekUp wrote: »
    I'm in Ontario.

But MAN, do I miss Dunkin' Donuts. Much better coffee than Tim Horton's, IMO! :p

Sacrilege! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

...they make crap cars.
    WTF?

American muscle cars ftw.

Dodge, Ford Twin Spinner, T Bird, Chevvies, Mustangs ...

STFU or GTFO b/c you don't have a clue :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In response to the idiotic 'Americans' thread...
    If I told you all what I really thought of this thread, I would probably be sitebanned. Suffice to say its a sad state of affairs that such Appreciation/Apology threads need a place here - this "Oopsorry" Attitude...

I wish I could post something in appreciation of Americans but as a Canadian I simply can't.

I honestly don't see where any of you are coming from. Since when the hell are Americans nice? In all seriousness? Maybe it's because they love foreigners, I don't know. All I know is that I've lived half of my life there and even while living in Canada, I was near to the border so I encountered Americans all the time, and most of my online gaming teams (yes; I am a ridiculous level of nerd) were 100% American save myself.

They are not nice people. They're quite arrogant, ignorant, bratty (the young ones). A lot of them are pretty racist, at least the southerners. New Yorkers are absolutely horrid, rude people, it shocks me to see how many people think they're so wonderful.

This thread has me so confused, goes against everything I've ever known about the bastards. :confused:

Either way there's a VERY big reason I hate being called American, and I can tell you it's not because they're "such nice people!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ie war that was pointless or had some finanical/political gain for america

I think all the wars the US got involved with were for some financial or political gain for America. At least, I can't think of any that weren't.
    kincsem wrote: »
    Why do the United States need such a large military presence overseas?

Because we can?

Ever notice how when there's a natural disaster most anywhere in the world, it's American helicopters that seems to get there first? Rapid reaction is what it's all about. Not necessarily for humanitarian work, it's just an example.
    I heard they have over 700 overseas bases and thought that was an exaggeration until I started to use Google ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Army_installations_in_Germany

I count 152 installations in total on that page, the vast majority from the Cold War era.

The presumably much less objectionable British Army of the Rhine of the same period had 113, whilst also being a rather smaller force than the US Army forces stationed in Germany. Incidently, the Germans have a couple of bases in the US. I passed through one in El Paso, TX on the way home from Ft Knox last year. And yes, it was a bit odd to see German building signs. (Local TV has a German feed as well).

Here's the 'Welcome to Alamagordo' sign in New Mexico. They seem rather proud of the Luftwaffe presence.
    http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/669315.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19332EFD823EFD41CFD16B0915A30C7E0F0284831B75F48EF45

Heck, I spent the last month on a base where the British Army have a presence in California. Sharp-eyed people may have seen Singapore Air Force helicopters used in New Orleans... Yes, the Singaporeans actually have an installation in the US. (Grand Prairie, TX). (Actually, they have a couple around the US, but the choppers are based at GP) Now, if you're just jealous that Ireland either can't afford or doesn't choose to have bases outside of the country...

Besides, don't people keep complaining that Americans never acknowledge a world outside of the US borders? Well, there you go. That's 700 places around the world that Americans can be sent to to see life elsewhere, a government-paid culture experience.

NTM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have to say, I've been kindof sold on America. I don't see myself moving back to Ireland.

I'm in California. The weather's good, the women wear less (And are willing to give you the time of day without written permission from the Pope), I can go skiing and surfing on the same day, I've become addicted to the big V8s and guns, and it's just an interesting place to be and drive through.
    they make crap cars.

They're getting much better. One of my current cars is an 01 Camaro, not the finest automobile I've ever driven in terms of handling, quality or reliability. On the other hand, I'm seriously eying that new CTS-V. The last five years have seen Detroit put out some seriously worthy contenders. My shopping list consists of two American cars and one German. Last time around, it was between two German and an American (German won)

Oh, I should add that I'm in the market for an airplane as well. Cessna, Piper, Beech, Cirrus... heck, does any country other than the US even make a family-size airplane, let alone a good one?

NTM

SeekUp wrote: »
    I'm in Ontario.

That's because Dunkins has so much more sugar.

If word gets around there'll be a mob outside your door in no time:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

pathetic.

the yank love in.

And btw to donald-duck, you're spot on. I am Irish/Italian/European but ultimately I'm human but thank god I wasn't born in that country. I went to New York and it isn't a patch on Paris or London.

Americans are so nice, but so nice its almost uncomfortable. They definetly have some agenda. Its not natural how they act. Funny thing in Paris, was strolling around and seen some fat yank family talking to a Bulgarian(thief was obviously scoping them out) The guy offered to take his bags to the hotel and the yank goes 'oh wow super'...before he handed them over someone spotted this and informed the yank. his flustered state in the aftermath was funny.

So I find this thread to be rediclous the yanks deserve no appreciation I'm afraid

Banned for the ole trolling Malarkhey.

Overheal in response to your posts I have read through the thread again and it seems a pretty light hearted one TBH. However I am unsure of the history you have highlighted and what is at play here. PM me and let me know what the issue is and I will get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh, I should add that I'm in the market for an airplane as well. Cessna, Piper, Beech, Cirrus... heck, does any country other than the US even make a family-size airplane, let alone a good one?

NTM
    I blame Alaska and Montana - some people have to fly to get their bread and cheese.

As for our under-21 population...ignore them. Please.

Btw. Bollocko Im just out the door but I'll get back to you tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

I was driving along Gunn Highway in Tampa, Florida and the News Bulletin, warned about a man outisde of his car waving a gun and threating to shoot, anyone on Gunn highway near to jubction with.. blah blah should seek alternative route...

Wow, Only in America.

Missed out on an evening out as the Comedy club everyone agreed to meet, suddenly they had a shooting incident and the whole area was cordoned off.

Wow, Only in America..

The difference bewteen Americans and Canadian, drive over the friendship bridge at Niagara and see the difference.... from the glitzy Motels with flashing neons to signs advetising B&B.. and the attitude and friendly people, sorry but Americans do not compare. having driven across New York State, entered Canada, the response from the parking area attendant, not just the have a nice day but seeing a book on the passenger seat immediately asked how did I like it as her husband was reading it... the automatic response by American waitress, the cooked breakfast with the over cooked streaky bacon.

In every country, their are good and bad and to gush syncophantic mutual appreciation for America is a form of self delusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Americans are friendly but if you spend a long time with them I find that they are shallow. They find it difficult to get beyond superficial conversation. They don't have the cynicism necessary to understand Irish humour.

American men also seem to get aggressive when drunk.

Advertisement