Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Liah shoots .....she SCORES !!!!

Now you're getting with the theme of the thread ...American Appreciation lol

It was discovered by a Brit by the name of Humphry Davy lol And it was actually called Aluminum in the beginning. Us the brits and the Aussies were the only ones who used the adaptive name of Aluminium. Internationally it has only been called Aluminium since 1990. I guess America and Canada refused to accept the Aluminium version haha.

There ends the History lesson kids. I stand corrected if im wrong haha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Actually- if you want to be pedantic about Aluminum/aluminium-

Aluminum was discovered by Denmark's Hans Christian Oersted in 1825 and recognised as a chemical in its own right by the German chemist Freidrich Wohler two years later in 1827. It was originally called Aluminum, but when isolated elementally and recognised as a metal, in keeping with naming conventions, was renamed to Aluminium, which is the way it continues to be spelt worldwide, other than in the US. This renaming occurred in 1827.

In 1884 Heroult in France discovered how to purify aluminium through electrolysis, a technique which was perfected by the US chemist, Hall, two years later. Hall's purification method became the basis of the worlds largest aluminum company- Alcoa, and popular legend has it that "aluminium" became "aluminum" because Hall's sister, who was in charge of the finances, watched the pennies so closely that she kept the stationary with the misspelling "aluminum" in the letterhead.

Aluminum was most certainly *not* discovered by an American- if you go back historically- it has been used as a bauxalt and salts in Greek and Roman times, its purification was by a Dane, and it was recognised as a metal by a German. It was originally purified by electrolysis by a Frenchman- whose technique in turn was perfected by an American.......

Its annoying when recognition gets muddied. Its almost like suggesting the US were responsible for discovering penicillin, or built the World Wide Web........ Just because you develop someone else's research or discoveries- doesn't make them yours.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

smccarrick wrote: »
    Actually- if you want to be pedantic about Aluminum/aluminium-

Aluminum was discovered by Denmark's Hans Christian Oersted in 1825 and recognised as a chemical in its own right by the German chemist Freidrich Wohler two years later in 1827. It was originally called Aluminum, but when isolated elementally and recognised as a metal, in keeping with naming conventions, was renamed to Aluminium, which is the way it continues to be spelt worldwide, other than in the US. This renaming occurred in 1827.

In 1884 Heroult in France discovered how to purify aluminium through electrolysis, a technique which was perfected by the US chemist, Hall, two years later. Hall's purification method became the basis of the worlds largest aluminum company- Alcoa, and popular legend has it that "aluminium" became "aluminum" because Hall's sister, who was in charge of the finances, watched the pennies so closely that she kept the stationary with the misspelling "aluminum" in the letterhead.

Aluminum was most certainly *not* discovered by an American- if you go back historically- it has been used as a bauxalt and salts in Greek and Roman times, its purification was by a Dane, and it was recognised as a metal by a German. It was originally purified by electrolysis by a Frenchman- whose technique in turn was perfected by an American.......

Its annoying when recognition gets muddied. Its almost like suggesting the US were responsible for discovering penicillin, or built the World Wide Web........ Just because you develop someone else's research or discoveries- doesn't make them yours.........

Yeah what he said lol. The guy I mentioned gave it the name of Aluminum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're just as bad.

When there is a thread about the irish government or gun crime in Ireland, you're in the thread saying something along the lines of "haha you all slagged bush and look at yourself" or a comparsion between american gangland violence and irish. Someone just wanted to have a thread to express their good experiences with the US and its citzens.

Its nice to be proud of where you are from, but there is no point getting worked up over people's comments on a forum.
    I reserve the right to blow smoke back in your faces, when every other US related thread has some pack of gobs saying "Only in America". Then you guys find out your politicians are just as bad, or your crimes just as disturbing.
    Ok.

You've spent half of your 21 year old life somewhere in the United States.

1) Where did you live in the States ?

2) What years (how old) did you live in the States.

I am just trying to get an idea of this in my head because ( this is not to be rude or condescending) half of your life at the age of 21 can mean different things. 0-10. really give you an adequate time frame in life to judge a nation. I hope you would agree that.

I am also curious as to how someone would judge everyone as intolerable? Would that be like calling everyone from Quebec 'French bastards' ?

From 13-21 I lived in Clare, and I found the Irish are friendly but if you spend a long time with them I find that they are shallow. They find it difficult to get beyond superficial conversation.

Irish men also seem to get aggressive when drunk.

True Story.

Fact is theres a shower of cnuts in every corner of the globe. Likewise theres good people all over the place.

And this aluminum business goes to show you how much we take the internet for granted, back when these words and associations were made you just didnt have nearly the same level of communication. Thats also why we have Spanish and Mexican as two different dialects. And why in a few hundred years the number of languages used globally will dwindle to a handful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

From Clare to S. Carolina.. There's a concept...

From Clare to S. Carolina.. There's a concept...
    More accurately WA to FL to Clare to Carlow to SC.
    Its been a bit of a ride.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Overheal wrote: »
    More accurately WA to FL to Clare to Carlow to SC.
    Its been a bit of a ride.
    I would say that's a bit of a ride. Army brat I'm guessing

I would say that's a bit of a ride. Army brat I'm guessing
    Might as well be, but no.

Besides what would an Army brat be doing in Ireland? :pac: They were lucky to get a bit o' fuel in Shannon without having rocks thrown at their planes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

You have a point there. My father was stationed Stateside until his discharge so I never got out of the country. My sister went to Germany though with him and my mother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Ever notice how when there's a natural disaster most anywhere in the world, it's American helicopters that seems to get there first? Rapid reaction is what it's all about. Not necessarily for humanitarian work, it's just an example.

No.

No, you haven't noticed that Americans get there firstest with the mostest following a disaster, or the fact that Americans are actually capable of engaging in humanitarian activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

When I think of appreciating america, i think of the landscape.....there are so many beautiful places over there.

Apart from that, I am half italian american and half irish. my mothers a north sider and i mainly grew up in ireland. as an american, i cant say i appreciate much of that place...it mostly just wrecks my head.

was watching nothing to declare yesterday...that show about australian customs, and they held up this american guy to check his stuff. he was so effing obnoxious, going on about he hated australia. he had been looking forward to his trip and because of a routine bag search he wanted to go directly home. he kept saying that he from us usA as if it would get him top priority and they'd let him go. The guys reaction was epic, he just happily and politely told him he didnt care where he was from, everyone got the same treatment. it was cringeworthy.

Neverwhere wrote: »
    When I think of appreciating america, i think of the landscape.....there are so many beautiful places over there.

Apart from that, I am half italian american and half irish. my mothers a north sider and i mainly grew up in ireland. as an american, i cant say i appreciate much of that place...it mostly just wrecks my head.

was watching nothing to declare yesterday...that show about australian customs, and they held up this american guy to check his stuff. he was so effing obnoxious, going on about he hated australia. he had been looking forward to his trip and because of a routine bag search he wanted to go directly home. he kept saying that he from us usA as if it would get him top priority and they'd let him go. The guys reaction was epic, he just happily and politely told him he didnt care where he was from, everyone got the same treatment. it was cringeworthy.
    So, ever seen Niagra Falls. Just looking at that sight makes you feel insignificant compared to the universe at large. I agree for the most part my fellow Americans tend to have a sense of entitlement when traveling outside our national borders.

No, you haven't noticed that Americans get there firstest with the mostest following a disaster, or the fact that Americans are actually capable of engaging in humanitarian activities.

A disaster caused by ?

Top Recipients of U.S. Foreign Aid, FY 2004

Nation Billions of Dollars

Iraq 18.44
    Israel 2.62
    Egypt 1.87
    Afghanistan 1.77
    Colombia 0.57
    Jordan 0.56
    Pakistan 0.39
    Liberia 0.21
    Peru 0.17
    Ethiopia 0.16
    Bolivia 0.15
    Uganda 0.14
    Sudan 0.14
    Indonesia 0.13
    Kenya 0.13

I was referring to natural disasters. I'm aware of my country's tendency to destroy something, the rebuild it.

• Advertisement

hey cyberwolf....yeah ive been to niagara a few times...it is absoloutely amazing. my mind is blown just thinking about how deep that water is.

hey cyberwolf....yeah ive been to niagara a few times...it is absoloutely amazing. my mind is blown just thinking about how deep that water is.
    Yeah, the insane thing is the drop is really only about 70 feet thanks to all the rocks, the height is officially 176 feet.

I've been to Victoria Falls, 360 ft high, 1860 yards wide.
    My big regret was that when in Las Vegas I didn't go to see the Grand Canyon about 35 miles away. Me stupid. That's poker for you.

I just want to see the United States becoming friends with everyone again.

cyberwolf-- so your a fan of niagara, what other land marks would you promote there? :P

personally i prefer the mountains to the sea any day. i love hiking on the west coast. its amazing.

So, ever seen Niagra Falls. Just looking at that sight makes you feel insignificant compared to the universe at large. I agree for the most part my fellow Americans tend to have a sense of entitlement when traveling outside our national borders.

To be honest with you- I'm relieved when travelling abroad to be on an Irish passport- it opens far more doors than a US passport ever will. I've memories of visiting many of the former East Block countries while they were still under communism (bartering farm machinery for Christmas trees, coal and other commodities). My US and Dutch colleagues had no end of trouble at every border crossing- more often than I had a laugh with the officials and sampled more than a few different home brews.

The Niagra falls are something else- but if you have the opportunity to visit the likes of the Victoria Falls- where there are comparatively few tourists, no tourism infrastructure trying to sell you crap, and no-one nagging you to move on- you learn to appreciate some of the lesser known things.......

It'll be interesting to see if the current stimulus package results in any massive projects along the lines of the Hoover Dam or Mount Rushmore- which were undertaken during the last great Depression- or the reopening of US icons such as Route 66. Its good to have pride in your country- especially in such times as we have at present- but not at the cost of denigrating the achievements of others.

The views of the rest of the world are unfortunately tainted by the perceived lack of care or understanding towards the great cultural heritages of many of the countries in which US troops are in action. The plundering of the national museum in Baghad, the flattening of ancient artifacts in the Tigris basin, the looting of artifacts of Babylonian eras, not stopping the destruction of the ancient statues of Afghanistan- including a 2500 year old Buddha in Kabul Museum etc. There is a reason these are called World Heritage Sites- they belong to humanity- and should be defended by those strong enough to defend them on behalf of those ignorant of their meaning.

I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased by the US vacating Sadam's Palace in Baghdad, and by the enlightened approach to chasing down those in the army engaged in artifact trading- which has enabled the Iraqi national museum reopen its doors this spring for the first time in 6 years. While it may seem strange- this dawning understanding on the part of the US military of the cultural heritage of others, and its part in protecting it, is currently one of the things that I appreciate mostly about the US. Its also I feel- as others come to share similar views- going to be a turning point in how Americans are viewed internationally (I hope).

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

smccarrick wrote: »
    The most annoying thing for me is not the weird US spellings and pronunciations- its the total disrespect that English people themselves have for their language. Have a wander around any of the larger cities and listen to the locals- their grammar and sentence structure is appalling (if you can make out what they're saying through the accents).
    It's a pity innit?

cyberwolf-- so your a fan of niagara, what other land marks would you promote there? :P

personally i prefer the mountains to the sea any day. i love hiking on the west coast. its amazing.
    Google Earth is your friend here. It very helpfully points out where all the best National Preserves are.

To be honest with you- I'm relieved when travelling abroad to be on an Irish passport- it opens far more doors than a US passport ever will.

too true...i have dual citizenship. i use my american passport for travel to america, as you get a lot of hassle in the airport as a citizen travelling with a different passport.

for everything else i use my irish one. before i got that i had a lot of trouble travelling through europe with my american passport. For example...landing in brussels. I was travelling my a group...people had irish, english and australian passports...then there were two of us with american ones. Everyone got through no problem except for my friend and I....they held us back for unnecessary passport checks and questioning.
    Google Earth is your friend here. It very helpfully points out where all the best National Preserves are.

oh most definately. I spent a bit of time in seatle and surrounding areas and loved it. I still want to get further out and go down to see the grand canyon....so amazing.

I would have a dual passport but your cnut of a government says time spent under a student visa is considered for sweet fcuk all. Fine! Be That Way. I dont want to be part of your country!

:(

edit: did I say preserves? I dont think google earth has a jam tracker.

haha overheal....i thought it would be rude to poke fun at someone trying to help >.> :P

yeah i know, its tough to get citizinship! I only got it because my moms irish and i grew up here. Even then it took forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

...Rapid reaction is what it's all about....
    In the US, everything is done quickly. Food, service, email responses, real-life conversations (in the North), even walking. I like Canada, and live about 20 miles away from the border, but once you cross into it, everything takes twice as long - and even more so for most other countries in Europe, Latin America, etc. (in my experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Too bad they're so slow with relief for natural disasters on their home turf.. Katrina, anyone? New Orleans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    In response to the idiotic 'Americans' thread I thought I'd start an American appreciation thread instead! I for one love America and American people. As I mentioned in an earlier post I travelled across that magnificent country last summer and loved it! Even the one street towns (slight exaggerations, only slight!) - people were so friendly.

So what do you like/love/ about America? What kind of positive experiences have you had there that you probably mightn't find elsewhere.

Oh and I've never been to Disney World but I'm pretty sure I love that too! :D

WWHHAAAATT?????? :eek::eek::eek::eek: there was an "idiotic AMERICANS" thread???? :eek::eek::eek:
    AH shte
    I missed it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Americans are great, and from a tourists perspective, the friendliest people I've encountered.

Plus it helps that the girls fecking love a lad with an Irish accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Wow, never thought I'd see a thread like this in After Hours! ;)
    Whilst I'm not a flag waving patriot like some of my countrymen, I do have a deep love for the US. I love the landscape, the numerous subcultures, especially the folklore/history/music - the real culture that gets overshadowed by MacDonalds and Hollywood. For example, as a state Georgia gets bashed quite often for being Southern and backwards. But I used to live in Athens, GA, and it was this bizarre stew of old Southern culture and emerging alternative lifestyles. I've lived in London, Miami, and Boston, traveled all across Europe, Australia, and through more than half of the US states, and Athens, Georgia was one of the most interesting places I've ever visited. On weekends, I used to start off with breakfast at the most popular restaurant in town - a vegetarian place owned by two lesbians (impossible to get into on Sundays once church let out - the Baptists just loved it), do some shopping in the downtown area (designer stores for debutantes next to thrift and found object stores), maybe go to a folk art festival further down the road, then sit and read a book under a magnolia tree on the university campus. It wasn't at all what I had been raised to believe small Southern towns were like. And obviously Athens is a bit different than most Southern towns, but it's the kind of gem you miss if you buy into the stereotypes.
    But that's what I love about America - the fusion of cultures.
    I've also found that most Americans (and having lived here for 27 years, I've met more than a few) are very good, decent people. Even those who are dumb and/or ignorant of the world outside of America (or even their own doorstep) are usually nice people when it comes right down to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I used to start off with breakfast at the most popular restaurant in town - a vegetarian place owned by two lesbians

I'd avoid any dish with cucumber in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

Wow, never thought I'd see a thread like this in After Hours! ;)
    Whilst I'm not a flag waving patriot like some of my countrymen, I do have a deep love for the US. I love the landscape, the numerous subcultures, especially the folklore/history/music - the real culture that gets overshadowed by MacDonalds and Hollywood. For example, as a state Georgia gets bashed quite often for being Southern and backwards. But I used to live in Athens, GA, and it was this bizarre stew of old Southern culture and emerging alternative lifestyles. I've lived in London, Miami, and Boston, traveled all across Europe, Australia, and through more than half of the US states, and Athens, Georgia was one of the most interesting places I've ever visited. On weekends, I used to start off with breakfast at the most popular restaurant in town - a vegetarian place owned by two lesbians (impossible to get into on Sundays once church let out - the Baptists just loved it), do some shopping in the downtown area (designer stores for debutantes next to thrift and found object stores), maybe go to a folk art festival further down the road, then sit and read a book under a magnolia tree on the university campus. It wasn't at all what I had been raised to believe small Southern towns were like. And obviously Athens is a bit different than most Southern towns, but it's the kind of gem you miss if you buy into the stereotypes.
    But that's what I love about America - the fusion of cultures.
    I've also found that most Americans (and having lived here for 27 years, I've met more than a few) are very good, decent people. Even those who are dumb and/or ignorant of the world outside of America (or even their own doorstep) are usually nice people when it comes right down to it.

nice post to be fair.

liah wrote: »
    Too bad they're so slow with relief for natural disasters on their home turf.. Katrina, anyone? New Orleans...
    The truth is there was nothing unusual about the response to Katrina, only that New Orleans was predominantly black, and everyone flashed The Race Card.

It took FEMA 3 weeks to respond correctly in the aftermath of Hurricane Floyd in 1999, after the 3rd largest evacuation in US history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Floyd

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/7/134914.shtml
    carlybabe1 wrote: »
    WWHHAAAATT?????? there was an "idiotic AMERICANS" thread????
    AH shte
    I missed it

I think javaboy blasted it into oblivion but google still has a cache - I have it saved to the desktop.. Thats right Javaboy, I know what you did. And you should be very ashamed of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I spent 3 months in one of our offices in North Virginia / Washington DC area last year. Have to say a lot of people I met were really lovely people.

There's a lot of different cultures, so you'ld get on better with some more than others. The Indians tend to be a bit dry for us, not as much alcohol and pub going. Same with the chinese. Very polite, but you could argue that it's the Irish culture that's wrong and alcohol centric not them.
    They tend to be more food centric and invite people over to dinner instead of the pub.

I'd go as far as to say that the American people were all a lot more "polite and reserved" than us. A walk through the streets of Dublin after closing time shows the alcohol centric, obnoxious, angry side of the Irish.

Oh yeah, ya gotta love the Italian American women, seriously.
    They're playful, passionate, adorable woman.
    You don't get that in Ireland at all. They're amazing women.
    Eg. if a guy comes up to them showing some dancefloor moves, she'll won't say "feck off", she'll be like "show me the moves ya got" and give them the time of day. And the Korean American woman are adorable too.

I was somewhat amused to hear that they still called Police Vans "Paddywagons" although the connection to the Irish was lost on them till I reminded them.

All things considered, I think the Americans are more accepting of different cultures, quieter and more reserved, less alcohol focused and more into the fun parts of the night like music in a bar/dancing etc.

Only bad point I can think of is that they do have a somewhat more relaxed view on drink driving because taxis are less accessible outside of cities. So I've seen young twenty something guys in BMW's, absolutely drunk, driving out of pub car parks.

So I'd like to highlight the huge difference between the Hollywood image of Americans, the American administration and the American people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Pal wrote: »
    I am sure that they put numbers on the streets because otherwise all the Yanks would get lost.
    Yeah, and all the road signs here are spot on.

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    If you want to do the old route 66 there's a book I'd highly recommend. We used it last year. I'll find out the name!
    The A goes by my estate. It's a nice trip.

I have to say, I've been kindof sold on America. I don't see myself moving back to Ireland.

I'm in California. The weather's good, the women wear less (And are willing to give you the time of day without written permission from the Pope), I can go skiing and surfing on the same day, I've become addicted to the big V8s and guns, and it's just an interesting place to be and drive through.

They're getting much better. One of my current cars is an 01 Camaro, not the finest automobile I've ever driven in terms of handling, quality or reliability. On the other hand, I'm seriously eying that new CTS-V. The last five years have seen Detroit put out some seriously worthy contenders. My shopping list consists of two American cars and one German. Last time around, it was between two German and an American (German won)

Oh, I should add that I'm in the market for an airplane as well. Cessna, Piper, Beech, Cirrus... heck, does any country other than the US even make a family-size airplane, let alone a good one?

NTM
    Read: Four fat bastards in a 747 sized plane.
    /20 stone fat ****. (280lbs for the yanks. 127KG for the Europeans)

What I love about America is the tv and movies they produce.
    Degrassi Jr high, Trailer Park Boys, United States of Tara. The film "Go".
    William Shatner, Sarah Polley, Lindy Booth. All brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Trailer park boys is Canadian, you bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think javaboy blasted it into oblivion but google still has a cache - I have it saved to the desktop.. Thats right Javaboy, I know what you did. And you should be very ashamed of yourself.

Eh... kudos on your e-skillz there Overheal but I never deleted the thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055498450

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Shatner and Polley and Booth too.

...wait a minute.... damn :o

• Advertisement

Only bad point I can think of is that they do have a somewhat more relaxed view on drink driving because taxis are less accessible outside of cities. So I've seen young twenty something guys in BMW's, absolutely drunk, driving out of pub car parks.

Ya its amazing how carefree they are about drink driving. I know back home its beaten into us about drink driving, nearly every second ad is a drink driving ad and we have a lot better understanding of the dangers of it. Its scary how widespread it is in the US but i can only presume drink driving deaths are a lot lower due to the difference in drinking culture.

Hazys wrote: »
    Ya its amazing how carefree they are about drink driving. I know back home its beaten into us about drink driving, nearly every second ad is a drink driving ad and we have a lot better understanding of the dangers of it. Its scary how widespread it is in the US but i can only presume drink driving deaths are a lot lower due to the difference in drinking culture.
    That really depends on what State you are in, as Driving and Drinking laws vary. You might get a slap on the wrist/ticket or you might get Jail Time. Fatality statistics vary due to different driving education standards (...we actually have some, which is saying a lot, because its not a very good standard) and road conditions. Drinking culture does play into it too, as does the higher age restriction versus the lower driving age.
    we have a lot better understanding of the dangers of it.

Then why so many road fatalities per capita? I'd rethink that. I would think really it just means on average you are more used to the effects of alcohol, and are more comfortable with the slower reaction times, etc. - but that does not mean you are somehow immune to those effects, your senses still become impaired when drinking. A paraplegic gets used to a wheelchair but that doesnt make him a marathon runner.

That really depends on what State you are in, as Driving and Drinking laws vary. You might get a slap on the wrist/ticket or you might get Jail Time. Fatality statistics vary due to different driving education standards (...we actually have some, which is saying a lot, because its not a very good standard) and road conditions. Drinking culture does play into it too, as does the higher age restriction versus the lower driving age.

Then why so many road fatalities per capita? I'd rethink that. I would think really it just means on average you are more used to the effects of alcohol, and are more comfortable with the slower reaction times, etc. - but that does not mean you are somehow immune to those effects, your senses still become impaired when drinking. A paraplegic gets used to a wheelchair but that doesnt make him a marathon runner.

TBF i can only compare Boston to Cork City.

Back home nobody would dare do it even after one drink. Over here I know several americans who wouldn't think twice about driving home after 5 or 6 drinks. Its just my observation on drinking driving attitudes between home and Boston.

I guess in more rural parts of Ireland its more widespread especially in areas where taxis are not available but in Boston taxis are everywhere and people still do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

All things considered, I think the Americans are more accepting of different cultures, quieter and more reserved, less alcohol focused and more into the fun parts of the night like music in a bar/dancing etc.

Than who? the irish? theres a hell of a lot more of them to be making comparisons like that.

A much more interesting question would be who are truly more accepting of different cultures, us(europeans) or americans?

new york is very segregated with ethnic groups sticking to their own quarter.

Hazys wrote: »

Actually, I find that there seem to be great concessions made in the US. Granted, it's partially because a reliance on public transport requires alternative solutions, but the whole 'designated driver drinks free', or 'soft drinks after a beer are free' deal I believe kicked off in the US, and hasn't become particularly common in Ireland until recently. Similarly I believe that business where people call for a guy who rides up on a collapsible motorcycle which fits in your boot started out in the US as well.
    I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased by the US vacating Sadam's Palace in Baghdad, and by the enlightened approach to chasing down those in the army engaged in artifact trading

The US military's policy on such things has never changed, just that at the time they were a little more concerned with more pressing matters, like trying to occupy a country. Once they had the opportunity to take a breath, various military investigations then went forward to deal with improprietaries, most of which never made the news but were dealt with anyway because, believe it or not, the US military actually does try to do the right thing.
    I would have a dual passport but your cnut of a government says time spent under a student visa is considered for sweet fcuk all. Fine! Be That Way. I dont want to be part of your country!

Be cautious. The US recognises dual citizenship when it exists by birthright (eg born of Irish parents in the US, etc), but if you deliberately seek out a foreign citizenship then the State Dept considers that you have no desire to remain an American and are renouncing your US citizenship. At least, this was the case six years ago when I was doing some heavy research for my US security clearance.

NTM

liah wrote: »

Though you can certainly make an argument for mismanagement or inefficiency of the supporting efforts, there was nothing wrong with the speed of the initial Federal response, from pre-positioning naval vessels and Coast Guard aircraft, to having thousands of Guardsmen already notified and waiting to move in. People may not have been as comfortable as they liked, but there was a fairly massive rescue operation undertaken very quickly.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

I live here, its a great country to live in. I like the people aswell. They have their downsides aswell but tell me who doesn't.

So is Degrassi Junior High- it was a CBC production if my memory serves me right......

Where would we be without more Cowbell? Made in America.

Where would we be without more Cowbell? Made in America.

Oooh- Blue Oyster Club...... (you remember the sketch from Saturday Night Live too?)

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46074-2005Jan28.html

to whoever said americans are more accepting of other cultures.....

as someone who is half american....

i dont think its true. americans are simply OBLVIOUS to other cultures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement