Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inherited money in GBP

Options
  • 26-02-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I have inherited approx £60,000 which is sitting in a UK bank account. However I live in Ireland. With the exchange rate as it is, currently £60,000 is worth about €68,000. I am in no immediate hurry to get my hands on the money. Should I leave it in the UK in the hope that the exchange rate works in my favour and the pounds gains strength against the euro? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mattb74 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I have inherited approx £60,000 which is sitting in a UK bank account. However I live in Ireland. With the exchange rate as it is, currently £60,000 is worth about €68,000. I am in no immediate hurry to get my hands on the money. Should I leave it in the UK in the hope that the exchange rate works in my favour and the pounds gains strength against the euro? Any ideas would be appreciated.

You might have to pay tax on this inheritance, and the reveune will use the rate at the time of inheritance to calculate this, so leaving it in GBP might leave you with an exchange risk, or gain depending what the rate was when you got the money.

Advertisement