Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imagine bb and buying own wireless router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, that router will work if you are signing up for their wireless broadband, but if you are signing up for their DSL you will need one with a ADSL modem like this http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1402706, basically if its their wireless service you will a router for cable connections or if its their DSL(phoneline) you need a DSL modem/router combo. I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

hi it is the 3mb option i want and i want to buy a router so that i can use my laptop wirelessly is this right http://www.imagine.ie/pages/imagine-3mb-broadband.html

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

you need an adsl router for that version

Hi as the above post you need an adsl modem/router combo, usually marked as " for BT connections ", this one from argos is quite good for the money http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6754831/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

This one is very easy to set up and gives very good wireless coverage(for the price)

Try and stay away from Belkin as most people have issues with them.

thanks for this, will this enable to browse on my laptop with no wires?

• Advertisement

Yes, any wireless router will, its just you need to buy a modem/router combo for DSL, you will set up the wireless as part of the configuration when you first install it, bear in mind cordless phones, digisenders, microwaves basically anything wireless can/will interfere aswell as your neighbours networks, you may have to mess around with the channels to which one suits you, or do a scan and see what channels your neighbours are using, on vista get a command prompt and type this in and press return netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid this will tell you the channels any networks within range, try and select a channel as far away from the others as you can...I hope that helps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The all in one is easier to set up. However it is possible to use a wireless router with a non wireless router/modem. You need to turn off the routing function in one of them (or bridging as it is often called). Buying a wireless router without a modem would mean that router could subsequently be used with likes of NTL/Chorus.

thanks for all your help, i will sign up, buy that one from Argos and fingers crossed wil have no probs with it (otherwise i will be back!) cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mynameis.. wrote: »
    thanks for all your help, i will sign up, buy that one from Argos and fingers crossed wil have no probs with it (otherwise i will be back!) cheers

Bear in mind that you will need to put in various settings just to get on line with imagine. Usually a user name and sign on which will be supplied by imagine.
    Basic modem settings:
    Username:
    Password:
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

There is only just over €12 in the difference between the one from Argos and buying from Imagine. To get the one from Argos you have to go to a store to get it (petrol/busfare/ and time).

If you get the Zyxel from Imagine and it goes wrong or you have problems they are in a better position to support it or send you a replacement.

I'd go for the Imagine offered Zyxel - it's quality kit

• Advertisement

thats a good point micky joe

Advertisement