Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic theme tune returns to BBC

• 26-02-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭

With F1 returning to the BBC this year for the first time 1996, the corporation is welcoming the return of traditional theme tune 'The Chain' to accompany the show's opening titles.

In March 2008 the BBC regained Formula One coverage for this year following a twelve year drought, after losing the rights to ITV for 1997. Formula One's first televised broadcast in the UK took place on the BBC in 1978 with the same famous signature tune.

Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' featured on their best-selling album 'Rumours' in 1977, and was instantly associated with F1 since the end of the decade. Former commentator Murray Walker expressed his delight over the return of the theme tune: "Every time I hear that music, I get butterflies."

Nice to see ths old songs coming back
    This was the best one for me :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Brilliant, I loved that intro.!

For anyone who has forgotten it, here's a youtube link, just fast forward to 3.40mins and you'll get the start of the rift.

http://tinyurl.com/bkw7mx

Looking forward to hearing Eddie Jordan, but jeez, David Coulthard will be hard to listen to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Meh, TBH I thought ITV's intros were quite good over the last ten years, Jamorquai made their first one especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I don't know if any of you have seen the promo ad that the BBC have started showing the past week or so but it's completely rubbish! It's entitled 'The Greatest Race On Earth' or something stupid like that. It's based around a car chase on public roads and with two cars that are so obviously junior formula cars of some sort just mocked up to look like F1 cars but which fail miserably! :rolleyes: I would have expected a lot more from the BBC for it's promo than this and it's totally crap...... except for the last five seconds or so! ;) It's those last few seconds that gets the old blood pumping when you hear that DUM... DUM DUM DUM... DUM DE DUM DUM DUM... DUMMMMMMMM! :D As Bernie said when he made the announcement about the BBC regaining the coverage, "We finally get our music back", and he's dead right!

Can't wait to see what the intro will be like in just under a fortnight now. As flazio said, the first ITV intro with the music by Jamiroqui was, for me anyway, the best one ITV did and it steadily went downhill after that, culminating in that ridiculous, over-the-top load of crap they used for the last couple of years with the Moby soundtrack to go with it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I don't know if any of you have seen the promo ad that the BBC have started showing the past week or so but it's completely rubbish! It's entitled 'The Greatest Race On Earth' or something stupid like that. It's based around a car chase on public roads and with two cars that are so obviously junior formula cars of some sort just mocked up to look like F1 cars but which fail miserably! :rolleyes: I would have expected a lot more from the BBC for it's promo than this and it's totally crap...... except for the last five seconds or so! ;) It's those last few seconds that gets the old blood pumping when you hear that DUM... DUM DUM DUM... DUM DE DUM DUM DUM... DUMMMMMMMM! :D As Bernie said when he made the announcement about the BBC regaining the coverage, "We finally get our music back", and he's dead right!

Can't wait to see what the intro will be like in just under a fortnight now. As flazio said, the first ITV intro with the music by Jamiroqui was, for me anyway, the best one ITV did and it steadily went downhill after that, culminating in that ridiculous, over-the-top load of crap they used for the last couple of years with the Moby soundtrack to go with it. :rolleyes:
    I caught that BBC promo tonight. It was embarrassing to watch. I couldn't quite get a fix on what cars they were using but there was a hint of Formula Palmer Audi to it.

On the latter ITV intros, I was always amazed at dancing girls shooting F1 cars from their armpits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Really want a link to that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think I must have missed this thread when it was originally posted. So is that official that the BBC are using the old theme again?

I guess we just have to wait to next week to be sure. Very exciting, just over a week away now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I actually didn't mind the music ITV had for the last year or two. They had some awful stuff in the middle years though. It was real bog standard cheap "guitar music for car programs". Nothing special about it, real paint by numbers stuff.

The original music wasn't bad either back in 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The beebs promo sucks a big one, some of the worst CGI I've seen in a promo/advert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

amacachi wrote: »
    Really want a link to that

Here you go, found it on the BBC website. Just wait for it to load after the advert.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7911126.stm

The "making of" is here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7885411.stm

Sure enough, the cars are "locally sourced" (the ad was filmed in South Africa, for some strange reason...... a country that hasn't hosted a Grand Prix since 1993! :rolleyes:) junior formula cars of some sort just mocked up to look like F1 cars but which fail miserably in looking anything like an F1 car.

Combine that with the cars looking like they're only travelling at walking pace, "shaky cam" effects to make it look like they're going faster, the sound over-dubbed with F1 engine noises, all I can say is that it was a good idea very,very badly executed. I would have expected so much more from the BBC. It makes that car chase scene in Sylvester Stallone's 'Driven' look like a work of art...... and that's saying something! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Brutal..!
    If thats the best they can do...!!

I only hope their coverage of the races will be better :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement