Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long does it take for a plodder to get to Boston?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I think quality over quantity is all you need. You've no plans for the marathon and your main goal is shorter stuff so I would continue doing what your doing. Its easy to get carried away with doing big milage but if JD is telling you 34, then 34 it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Babybing wrote: »
    Just want to get people's opinions on this.

Im running 34 miles a week now and I feel Im getting pretty used to the faster paced workouts now. I have another 5 weeks training at this level before I go onto harder training and Im toying with the idea of upping the mileage to 40 mpw.

I run 6 days a week and I managed my 34 miles this week with 5 days of running.

Do people think there would be much of a benefit from upping the mileage?

Could it potentially do more damage than good (e.g.injuries, burnout) or would the extra mileage serve me well?

Id really like to hear what people think on this because I'm not sure what to do myself:confused:

It really depends on your base for me higher mileage has helped a lot but it was more down to shifting weight, for you I think quality session and runs not longer then 90 mins should be enough.
    Don't worry what your weekly total is in miles thats not really important its your quality sessions, they usually take care of the mileage but it shouldnt be a play to run 4X miles a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Cheers fella's. I think I'll stick with my current mileage for the time being.

Monday:
    3x(2x200 with 200m recovery jogs+1x400m with 400 meter recovery jog. One mile warm-up and cool down.

200:45
    200:44
    400:1.28

400:1:30

400:1.29

Horrible, miserable, wet day and the gravel track I did it on was in very bad nick. Its been closed for weeks because they have been upgrading the banked cycle oval around the running track and extra gravel seems to have built up in places around the track. Still, I shouldn't complain as its free and I must say it turned out to be a very enjoyable workout despite the conditions:cool:

Tuesday: 5 miles @9 min pace

Wednesday:
    Fartlek

1 mile warm up
    4x(2 min Hard 1 min easy, 1 min hard 30 secs easy, 30 sec hard 30 sec easy)
    1.5 mile cool down

First time I did this workout and I did'nt really like it. Pace on the hard sections varied between 6:20-7:00 but I was'nt too bothered as I did it on uneven grassy terrain and the wind was brutal, bottom line is it felt hard;).

I find its a lot tougher to go hard for a set amount of time than for a set distance. It felt very tough and I was exhausted at the end but it just doesnt seem to me as beneficial as the more structured workouts. Thankfully there's not too many of these on the plan Im following.

Every now and then I take a drive to the Phoenix park to do a run just to remind myself what a beautiful place it is to train.

Absolutely love running along the trails up there. Wasn't a fast run, 8 miles @ 9:43 pace but really enjoyable.

Off to London tonight for the weekend so not sure how Im going to fit the running in. I made sure to get all the heavy stuff for the week out of the way so it will most likely be a couple of easy days on a treadmill.:D

Saturday: Tried to do cruise intervals on a treadmill. Plan was 1 mile warmup, 5x1000m at Tempo pace with 1 minute rests, 1 mile warm down. It felt weird though, far too easy. Then I started thinking was the treadmill in Kilometres instead of miles but it did not feel easy enough for that to be the case. Maybe I didnt have enough gradient on. I started with no gradient (forgot about it:o) then bumped it up to 3% and then 5%. Anyway it was the first time Ive used a treadmill and didnt really like it (although I can see it could be a very efficient way to get the legs used to a specific pace)...at least I got some miles onto the legs.

Sunday:
    A beautiful 5 miles around London. I really love running when Im away on holidays because I find it a great way to see lots of a place in a short space of time and also you get more of a feel for the place than just walking around touristy areas.

Lots of people Ive talked to dont like London but I thought it was an amazing place. Absolutely loved it and Ill definitely be back over soon. Legs are killing me today after all the walking. I should've worn the Garmin to see how many miles I actually walked but it was a lot.

Naturally my diet was awful over the weekend. Fry ups, pies, fish and chips, burgers and lots of Beer:rolleyes: But you need a few days like that every few months just to keep you sane;)

Wednesday:

1.5 mile warm up
    3x(2x200m with 200m recovery jogs+1x800m with 800m recovery jog)
    1.5 mile cool down

200:46
    800:3.01

200:43
    200:46
    800:3.03

800:3.03

Absolutely miserable day again:rolleyes: Rain was pouring down and I had to do a bit of puddle dodging on the track so happy enough with those times.

Hard workout and my quads are a bit sore now.

Ill get back to my core work tonight after a few days off. Have to make a bit of an effort to eat healthier too but the pile of easter eggs and duty free staples (white toblerone, milka bar and bitesize Dime;)) sitting in the kitchen is'nt helping.:D

Thursday: Easy Run. Just over 6 miles @ 8:46 pace. Another horrible day. Got drenched but the run felt pretty good.

Friday:

1.5 mile warm up
    20 minutes at Tempo pace (7:12)
    6x200m with 200m recovery
    1 mile cool down

200's went:

200:41
    200:42

Pretty hard but enjoyable workout. Did it on my local 200m track which is usually deserted but today some old lady decided she was going to walk the very inside of the track forcing me to run around her every lap:rolleyes:

She left for the last few mins of my tempo run and then decided to come back and resume her position just as I was starting my reps:mad:

.....at least the weather was better today. Looking really forward to racing now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

When are you hoping to race next? Does your schedule have suggested dates for races and/or time-trials?

• Advertisement

cfitz wrote: »
    When are you hoping to race next? Does your schedule have suggested dates for races and/or time-trials?

No suggested races on the schedule cfitz.

Im hoping to run in Clonliffes Grand Prix mile at the end of the month (I'll probably also do the 800 the following week).

After that Ill do the Trinity Track meet mid May and the BHAA track series in August.

Think the graded meets might be a bit beyond me this year but Ill keep my eye out for any other opportunities to race the mile or 3000m.

Tbh I would'nt be obsessive about the racing this summer. I see it more as an intro to shorter distances with the focus just being on getting a good level of running fitness rather than competing/setting fast times.

After that Ill do a bit of cross country over the winter, get the mileage up and hopefully by next summer Ill be able to run some decent mile times and put in a half decent showing at the graded meets.

No suggested races on the schedule cfitz.

Im hoping to run in Clonliffes Grand Prix mile at the end of the month (I'll probably also do the 800 the following week).

After that Ill do the Trinity Track meet mid May and the BHAA track series in August.

Think the graded meets might be a bit beyond me this year but Ill keep my eye out for any other opportunities to race the mile or 3000m.

Tbh I would'nt be obsessive about the racing this summer. I see it more as an intro to shorter distances with the focus just being on getting a good level of running fitness rather than competing/setting fast times.

After that Ill do a bit of cross country over the winter, get the mileage up and hopefully by next summer Ill be able to run some decent mile times and put in a half decent showing at the graded meets.
    Hi there,
    I think the grades would be great for you , I will do a 1500m and mayb a 3k later in the summer, you should run the same race as me . Its all about learning how to race track again i'll be running my own little race and if i happen to be last so be it, if i beat anyone even better.

BHAA 3k isnt a bad race either, went a bit mad in that last year...

shels4ever wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I think the grades would be great for you , I will do a 1500m and mayb a 3k later in the summer, you should run the same race as me . Its all about learning how to race track again i'll be running my own little race and if i happen to be last so be it, if i beat anyone even better..

Yeah I have'nt written off the idea of the graded meets completely yet.

Ill see how my mile and 800 races in a couple of weeks go. I should have a better idea of where I am at fitness wise after that.

Just looking at some of the results from last years graded meets now and I imagine Ill definitely have a shot at an 800 race at some stage. I would hope I wouldnt be too much off the pace in an 800 looking at the results.

Have you pciked what races you going to do yet shels?

Yeah I have'nt written off the idea of the graded meets completely yet.

Ill see how my mile and 800 races in a couple of weeks go. I should have a better idea of where I am at fitness wise after that.

Just looking at some of the results from last years graded meets now and I imagine Ill definitely have a shot at an 800 race at some stage. I would hope I wouldnt be too much off the pace in an 800 looking at the results.

Have you pciked what races you going to do yet shels?
    Not yet i've a few ideas but all depends on recovery after the marathon not going to rush into anything, i'd say late june start of july for a 1500m I think thats the distance i'll be better over, defo the Bhaa 3000 .

Will prob targets a race aout 8-12 week after I start back as it will take that to get into some sort of shape.

Saturday: Recovery Jog (but went a bit faster than planned). Just over 6 miles @ 9:10 pace

Sunday:
    Finally we're getting some nice weather to run in. Perfect day. Run felt very relaxed and easy (still feeling Fridays workout in the legs so took it slow). 9 miles, 8:57 pace. Very happy to be able to do 9 miles at that pace and have it feel so easy (I was surprised at the pace).

Monday:
    Another beautiful day. workout was 1.5 mile warm up, 3x(200m with 200m recovery+400m with 400 recovery) and then I did a further 2x200m with 200m recovery, just over 1 mile cool down:

200:40
    400:1.26

400:1.22

200:40
    400:1.25

was aiming for 42 sec 200's and 1:26 400's so I was very happy with those times. Workout felt very good....hopefully the weather stays like this:D

Those times are coming down nicely. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Racing tomorrow night so took it very easy on my last two runs.

Tuesday:
    A gentle trot after Mondays fast workout. Purely for recovery so did 5 miles @ 10:30 pace, HR 68%.

Wednesday:
    Again didnt want to force anything today so took it very handy. 4 miles 9:21 pace, HR 74%

Heart rate was a little higher than expected on these runs (they felt very easy) but I imagine that was down to Mondays workout and the terrain.

Liking the fact the weather is picking up but it has it's downside too...with the better weather comes the dog walkers and running in my local park has turned into a daily game of dodge the dog crap:P

Did a one mile race last night with Woddle (met Racing flat there as well). This was my first race since a pretty disappointing performance last month at the MSB 5k (21:52) and also my first time racing on a track. Ill admit the MSB race did knock my confidence a bit so I was'nt as optimistic going into the race as I probably should've been but my training is going well and I felt very fresh on the night so I felt I could run a good race.

I started out pretty fast and after the first 100m I found myself right up at the front, I thought to myself "what the in the name of God am I doing up here" but I was feeling pretty comfortable so I tried to keep a nice constant pace. Went past the first 200 in 42 secs and finished the first lap in 1:24. I think it was between 200m and 400m that Woddle and a few others went by but I didnt mind because I knew I was on pace for a good time and I felt very comfortable.

The second lap I settled into a nice comfortable pace and I think I hit the halfway point in 2:49.

I was really getting into a good rhythm by now. The third lap is always meant to be the most difficult in the mile but I felt very strong and smooth. There were three runners in front of me, a guy in a white singlet, a fella in black and then Woddle in front of them. I decided to make it my goal to try and pick them off. White singlet man was struggling so I pulled up alongside and went by him pretty easily, just as we came to the 1000m mark I went by the fella in black and for the remainder of the third lap I pulled up close to Woddle. Cant remember any splits from this part of the race...I didnt even hear them.

I didnt want to try and go by Woddle to early because I knew he would put up a battle and I didnt want to tire myself out so I just pulled up behind him and decided to wait for the final 200m and kick hard. I had just read an article the other day that said you use a different source of energy for your kick so even if your exhausted at the 200m mark you have about 200m worth of sprint in reserve so this was in the back of my mind as I pulled alongside Woddle at the 200m mark and then sprinted as hard as I could.

I could feel Woddle coming with me so I just looked straight ahead, tried to stay as relaxed as possible and pushed. As I came onto the final straight I sensed I had pulled away and after a quick glimpse over the shoulder I realised I was a fair bit ahead and so I turned my attention to the fella in front of me. I was pushing very very hard and he seemed to be hurting a lot...unfortunately the line came quick enough for him because I think if the race had've been 50m longer I might've had him. So I crossed the line in a time of 5:43 in fifth place.:D

Absolutely over the moon with that. I felt the race could not have gone any better and it gives me a lot of confidence that I am training right and following a good plan. The third lap felt so comfortable I started to think could I have gone faster? But I have to be very happy with that time and Im confident I can improve on it over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thats one of your short term goals mentioned at the sarted ticked off comfortably anyway!! fair play!!

Nice running there your sessions are paying off, That race will stand to you . You seem to have run very strong next time you'll know a little more and maybe go out a little harder its all a learning game on the track but a very solid start.Well done.

Well done on a successful first track race. Looks like you paced yourself well. Hope you have many more to come...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

As I came onto the final straight I sensed I had pulled away and after a quick glimpse over the shoulder

:eek:

Your only mistake ;).

:eek:

Your only mistake ;).

:D

I knew that was a no no but the curiosity got the better of me:p

I thankfully didn't make that mistake and I reckon it made the difference of me holding on to 7th with 8th and 9th only 1 second behind me. :eek: I'm sure I made plenty of other mistakes though. I've been on a bit of a high from it today and I can't wait till next week. It was so exciting

Woddle wrote: »
    I thankfully didn't make that mistake and I reckon it made the difference of me holding on to 7th with 8th and 9th only 1 second behind me. :eek: I'm sure I made plenty of other mistakes though. I've been on a bit of a high from it today and I can't wait till next week. It was so exciting

Someone is catching the track bug.... I like it... :) , Don't get too good , You need to give me some hope for the summer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

It's great that you enjoyed it so much. You should definitely enter some of the Gradeds. There's no way you'll be embarassed in Grade D with a run like that.

Legs feel fine after the race but my right lower calf is a little sore. I imagine this is from the spikes and turning on the track.

One of the results of racing faster is that my vDOT goes up a few notches and I can train at faster paces. Its not a huge difference because my rep's were already at the right pace, my V02 max workouts were too easy at the old pace (so I was planning on upping it regardless) and for my easy runs I go by feel rather than prescribed pace so it doesnt matter there.

The big change was gonna be my tempo runs. This has gone from around 7:10 to around 6:46 a mile. 7.10 was starting to feel very handy but its still a pretty big jump. So I planned to try this new pace out today with a set of cruise intervals after a rest day yesterday.

Saturday:

1.5 mile warm-up
    4x1000m at tempo pace
    1.5 mile warm down

Hoped to do each 1000m in 4:11 and they went as follows:

1. 4:11
    2. 4:12
    3. 4:12
    4. 4.10

Pace felt ok but I was feeling the heat (sun was blaring here).
    Heart rate seemed to be in the right range averaging 85-89% on the intervals with max's around 92%.

I'll do a standard 20 minute tempo run on Monday at the new pace. I imagine it will be tough enough but we'll see how it goes.

Sunday: 9 mile long run over hills.

Ran the three miles to the Phoenix park (there's three big hills on the way) and then ran three miles over the hills around magazine fort before running the final three home.

Aim was to keep a nice even intensity of effort over the uphills and downhills rather than an even pace.

Very enjoyable run and it really adds a bit of variety (I can tend to get a bit bored on my longer runs:P).

Average pace was 9:16, average HR was 77%. Garmin says total ascent was 2400ft but Im not really sure how that works because when I ran in London it said my total ascent was 3200ft and I only went up one big hill where as today it felt like I did much more climbing....some of those hills around magazine fort are steep:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

. So I crossed the line in a time of 5:43 in fifth place.:D

Great report and time - like the name change too - that time should set you up for sub 20 5K - McMillan gives it 19:48.

Hope to get a 1 mile race myslef later in the year.

Yes nice name change... I wish i'd know it was possible to do...... :(

dna_leri wrote: »
    Great report and time - like the name change too

Haha yeah figured it was about time I changed it to something that didnt make me sound like a 10 year old girl:o

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Yes nice name change... I wish i'd know it was possible to do...... :(

You have to pay though:pac:

€5 to become a subscriber for a month and then you can change your username.

Ive wanted to change it for yonks and I finally thought that all the use and good advice I got out of this forum (plus all the use and good advice Ill get in the future) has to be worth a fiver:D

ps. I'd be embarrassed to admit I was a shels supporter too ;)

Monday:

1.5 mile warm up
    20 minutes @ tempo pace (6:52)
    6x200m with 200m recovery jogs
    1 mile cool down

So I upped the pace a bit on todays tempo run. Was a tough workout but the tempo run felt no tougher than my usual tempo run and my average HR (87%) was actually lower than it was on my last tempo at the old pace.

Did the 200's in the following times:
    1. 41
    2. 42
    3. 41
    4. 40
    5. 42
    6. 40

Tuesday: Just over 5 miles, 9:54 pace, 68% average heart rate.

Wednesday: 4 miles, 9:10 pace, 74% HR.

Ran my first 800m last night and I must say it was a very enjoyable night.....this track stuff is very addictive:D

Didnt really get off to a great start as I lined up for the start of the race and realised I had'nt switched my Garmin on:eek: After a moment of panic I realised I would never get it on and I composed myself just in time to hear the starter say go....I was expecting a bit of a mad dash with elbows flying all over the place so I started a little fast and sprinted into the lead. Just before the 200m mark I got overtaken. With no Garmin and nobody calling the splits at the 200 metre mark I was a little lost pace wise so I decided to just try and stick with the lead man.

A second runner past me just before the 400m mark and I went through 400m's in 72 seconds. By this time I was really starting to feel it and the two front runners had already built up a pretty big lead. This was'nt helped by the fact my HR strap (which was absolutely useless because my Garmin was switched off) was beginning to come loose and I had to try and adjust it. My efforts proved futile and it collapsed in a heap around my waist on the next bend (I never tuck my shirt/singlet in but decided to tuck it in last night which saved me):rolleyes: Just as we came onto the back straight a third person tried to overtake me....in fact he did overtake me. At this point I thought to myself "ok either give up now and another 4 or 5 will overtake you or fight for third place". Luckily he left me enough room on the inside and I managed to sneak up the inside just before the final bend.

At this stage I kicked as hard as I could. The two in front of me were well ahead and I had no chance of catching them but I could hear the wolves at my back:D As I came onto the final straight my lungs were on fire and my legs were jelly. The form was completely gone and Im sure I looked funny flailing down the home straight:D All the way to the line I was sure somebody was going to come up on my shoulder and I just tried to look straight ahead and pump my arms as hard as I could.

I came home in third place in a time of 2:24 which I was absolutely thrilled with. It was an immensely tough race and my lungs were burning like an oil fire for about 10 minutes afterwards....I think Woddle shared my pain though as he was experiencing the same thing. There is something incredibly satisfying about pushing yourself to the brink of exhaustion in such a short space of time.

One of the things I mentioned in my op was running times that correspond with a three hour marathon on McMillan. Although I know it does'nt count for much (Boston dont accept 800m times;)) I felt it was a nice benchmark and last nights race was the first time I achieved it.....must say though at the moment marathons are very very far from my mind. Im already thinking of when Im going to get my next track fix:D

Well done on another successful track outing. I don't think there's any need to wear a watch or heart rate monitor in an 800m though. Looking at your watch would be a bit of an inconvenience going at that pace. With the type of sessions that you are doing you should be starting to recognise the different paces.

cfitz wrote: »
    Well done on another successful track outing. I don't think there's any need to wear a watch or heart rate monitor in an 800m though. Looking at your watch would be a bit of an inconvenience going at that pace. With the type of sessions that you are doing you should be starting to recognise the different paces.

Yeah I think you have a point cfitz.

Looking back on it I feel the watch would've just been a distraction. I ran even splits anyway so it wouldnt have helped much.

I like to have the watch and HR monitor just to look back on the race but I think in future Ill give the HR monitor a miss:o

Saturday: Did my usual Sunday long run today instead because I knew tonight would be a late night. Just over 9 miles, 8.29 min/mile pace, average HR 74%.

Legs felt tired at the start but once I warmed up it felt great and I finished strong.

Sunday:
    Up until 6.30 last night drinking silly amounts watching the Hatton-Pacquaio fight so was not looking forward to the run today. Did 6 miles. Felt very slow so was surprised the pace was 8.56 min/mile. Av HR was 76%.

Have a bit of a niggle at the inside of my right lower leg. Ive been icing it and elevating it since Thursday and it seems to be getting better.

My right calf is so tight though. Im trying stretching it and even a bit of self massage but it doesnt seem to be loosening up a great amount and I think this is what is causing the problem. Id love to get a proper sports massage to hopefully loosen it up a bit but unfortunately thats not really an option at the moment.

Monday:

1.5 mile warm up
    3x(2x200m with 200m recovery+400m with 400m recovery)+2x200m
    1.5 mile warm down

200: 42
    200: 41
    400: 1.24
    200: 39
    400: 1.24
    200: Missed this one by accident (thought Id done two 200 but only did one):o
    400: 1.25

200's felt fantastic today but the 400's were tough because there was a very strong wind down the back straight.

Leg has responded well to icing and didnt bother me at all. Ive narrowed the cause down to one of three things, it was either the long run over the hills, the racing or the increase in the pace of my tempo runs.

I dont think it was the hills because my leg was alright for a while after that. I also dont think it was the increase in pace because I was starting to feel it before those runs. I think it was the racing and in particular using the spikes for the first time. I tend to overpronate pretty badly and with so little support in the spikes I reckon it placed a bit of stress on the leg.

Anyway its healing well now and as I race more my legs should get more used to the spikes.

Tuesday: 5.3 miles easy run. 8.13 min/mile pace. Av HR 79%

Wednesday:

Every time I try to do a session of longer intervals things go arseways:rolleyes: Plan today was 6x800m with 2 minutes rest at a pace between mile and 3k race pace (3 minutes per 800).

So I jogged the mile to the 400m track only to discover it was covered with dozens small noisy creatures. On closer inspection these turned out to be teenagers on a school sports day:mad:

So I decided to do my workout on a 200m track that wasnt too far away. I prefer doing longer sessions on the 400m track because it just seems longer when you have to do 4 laps of the 200 track but I thought fvck it. By the time I reached the track I had already run 3 miles against a horrible breeze which Im not used to doing as a warm up but again I thought fvck it.....what followed was a horribly tough workout.

There was a huge breeze down the back straight that completely zapped my energy on every lap, felt like I was standing still. I knew after the first set I was'nt going to hit my paces but it just seemed to get tougher and tougher. Each set was a little longer than 800m and they went as follows:

Set--time--pace/mile
    1. 3:10---6:07
    2. 3:08---6:01
    3. 3:11---6:03
    4. 3:16---6:20
    5. 3:20---6:24
    6. 3:17---6:22

Still happy enough with the workout because it felt so tough and I look forward to doing workouts like this under better conditions.

• Advertisement

Have'nt had a minute lately so Im way behind on my log:o

Friday:
    Just over 5 miles easyish. 8:08 min/mile pace. 80% Av. HR

Saturday:

1 mile warm-up
    5x1000m@tempo pace with 1 minute recovery jogs
    1.5 mile warm down

1000's went:

4:02
    4:07
    4:11
    4:13
    4:09

First interval was a little too fast but the workout felt absolutely fantastic. Beautiful day and a very enjoyable running.

Sunday:
    10 miles. 8:32 min/mile. 77% Av. HR.

Did 40 miles this week. Thats the most I have ever ran in a week. Feeling very good. Now doubt building up to 40 mpw very gradually has helped.

So thats the end of the second phase of my 4 phase programme and I feel it is going very well so far. This phase was all about introducing some faster running and just getting the body used to it and I feel it has improved me considerably. I now realise I made a bit of a mistake in the base building phase. I ran too slowly and stagnated...I feel I actually got slower. Thus is something Ill take note of for the future.

Im starting phase three now which Daniels describes as the toughest phase. The emphasis here is on longer intervals aimed at improving VO2 max. Looking at the plan there is some tough workouts in this phase so it should be a challenge but I am feeling very good at the moment.

Those 1ks can be very tough but when you have a good race, you'll be able to look back and pin point these sessions as the reason why.
    If your starting phase 3, whats the goal race. Hope the exams are going as well as the training :D

Monday:Planned to do a session of intervals today but legs a bit stiff from yesterdays long run so Ill do them tomorrow.

Did an easy run instead. 5 miles. 8:47 min/mile. 75% Av. HR.

Tuesday:

1.5 mile warm up
    5x1000m @ interval pace with 3 minute recovery jogs
    1.5 mile warm down

1. 3:50
    2. 3:51
    3. 3:43
    4. 3:48
    5. 4:00

Really tough workout but I was very happy with that tbh. Went a bit haywire on the 5th one...had very little left at that stage:D

First time doing this so not to fussed about the last 1000. I imagine it will get easier as the weeks go on (at least I hope it does;)).

Those 1ks can be very tough but when you have a good race, you'll be able to look back and pin point these sessions as the reason why.
    If your starting phase 3, whats the goal race. Hope the exams are going as well as the training :D

Lol tbh its a pain in the arse fitting the workouts in but its the only thing keeping me sane:D

Im finished on the 28th of May so Im hoping to do a 5k as soon as possible after that and then its just the graded meets and the BHAA track for the rest of the summer.

And yes those 1ks can be very tough;)

You'll really enjoy the graded meets, a stronger standard then what we've raced over the last couple of weeks. I finished 61st out of 63 but I'd say you'd blend in nicely in the D race. I reckon I might have got Robinph hooked aswell.

• Advertisement

You'll really enjoy the graded meets, a stronger standard then what we've raced over the last couple of weeks. I finished 61st out of 63 but I'd say you'd blend in nicely in the D race. I reckon I might have got Robinph hooked aswell.

Yeah I seen that...and that was an impressive time too:eek:

Not too fussed about place though for the time being. Great that more people are getting interested....Would be fantastic to get some BAC track sessions with good numbers during the summer.

Would be fantastic to get some BAC track sessions with good numbers during the summer.

I think Shels is already on the case

Wednesday: Recovery run. Have a couple of hard days coming up so took it very easy. 5 miles. 9:10 min/mile. Av HR 73%.

Thursday:

Running tip: Dont eat 4 cadbury snack bars a half hour before you do a session of fast running:P

Felt pretty horrible today. Workout was

1 mile warm up
    2x(2x1000m at tempo pace with 1 minute rests+4x200m with 200m recovery)
    1 mile warm down

This should have been handy but I ate a load of crap pretty close to the session and it just sat on my stomach. Felt like I was going to throw up through the whole thing:rolleyes:. Weather didnt help as it was a miserable day.

Tempo pace was 4:12 for the 1000's and I did the 200's in 41/42 secs. Ran the times I was aiming for but felt like sh1t....only myself to blame:D

Friday:
    Although I usually wouldnt normally do two hard sessions back to back this week is a bit mad so I had to do a faster session today.

Tbh I could've easily skipped this session and was not sure I was going to do it but I felt very fresh today and up to it so decided to go for it.

1 mile warm up
    2x600m with 600m recovery (2:11, 2:12)
    3x400m with 400m recovery (1:27, 1:25, 1:24)
    4x300m with 300m recovery (63, 64, 61, 63)
    1 mile warm down

The workout in Daniels book has a further 6x200m in addition to the above. I could've definitely managed that, workout felt great today, but I felt I have done enough fast running this week. Dont want to go overboard and it just seemed like a lot after a hard session yesterday and an interval session on Monday.

Love the shorter reps though....so much easier than those 1000's;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thursday:

Running tip: Dont eat 4 cadbury snack bars a half hour before you do a session of fast running:P

god i love the bars have one most days, but cant say i ve evr had more than one in a day, what posssessed you to eat 4 before a run?:eek:

kennyb3 wrote: »
    god i love the bars have one most days, but cant say i ve evr had more than one in a day, what posssessed you to eat 4 before a run?:eek:

Quite simple really...I debated with myself wheter to have a small snack bar after lunch. I said sure what harm can it do. I had one. Then I got to thinking "that was quite nice" Ill have one more. So I did. After that one I thought "look I've had two now one more wont make a difference" so I had a third. After that I thought "there's only one more left in the pack, might as well finish it off".

Gluttony of the highest order:D There all gone now though and I wont be buying more. Again I hold my hands up, Im a pig:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement