Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take for a plodder to get to Boston?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

So thats the end of the second phase of my 4 phase programme and I feel it is going very well so far. This phase was all about introducing some faster running and just getting the body used to it and I feel it has improved me considerably. I now realise I made a bit of a mistake in the base building phase. I ran too slowly and stagnated...I feel I actually got slower. Thus is something Ill take note of for the future.

Im starting phase three now which Daniels describes as the toughest phase. The emphasis here is on longer intervals aimed at improving VO2 max. Looking at the plan there is some tough workouts in this phase so it should be a challenge but I am feeling very good at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Those 1ks can be very tough but when you have a good race, you'll be able to look back and pin point these sessions as the reason why.
    If your starting phase 3, whats the goal race. Hope the exams are going as well as the training :D

Monday:Planned to do a session of intervals today but legs a bit stiff from yesterdays long run so Ill do them tomorrow.

Did an easy run instead. 5 miles. 8:47 min/mile. 75% Av. HR.

Tuesday:

1.5 mile warm up
    5x1000m @ interval pace with 3 minute recovery jogs
    1.5 mile warm down

1. 3:50
    2. 3:51
    3. 3:43
    4. 3:48
    5. 4:00

Really tough workout but I was very happy with that tbh. Went a bit haywire on the 5th one...had very little left at that stage:D

First time doing this so not to fussed about the last 1000. I imagine it will get easier as the weeks go on (at least I hope it does;)).

Woddle wrote: »
    Those 1ks can be very tough but when you have a good race, you'll be able to look back and pin point these sessions as the reason why.
    If your starting phase 3, whats the goal race. Hope the exams are going as well as the training :D

Lol tbh its a pain in the arse fitting the workouts in but its the only thing keeping me sane:D

Im finished on the 28th of May so Im hoping to do a 5k as soon as possible after that and then its just the graded meets and the BHAA track for the rest of the summer.

And yes those 1ks can be very tough;)

You'll really enjoy the graded meets, a stronger standard then what we've raced over the last couple of weeks. I finished 61st out of 63 but I'd say you'd blend in nicely in the D race. I reckon I might have got Robinph hooked aswell.

• Advertisement

You'll really enjoy the graded meets, a stronger standard then what we've raced over the last couple of weeks. I finished 61st out of 63 but I'd say you'd blend in nicely in the D race. I reckon I might have got Robinph hooked aswell.

Yeah I seen that...and that was an impressive time too:eek:

Not too fussed about place though for the time being. Great that more people are getting interested....Would be fantastic to get some BAC track sessions with good numbers during the summer.

Would be fantastic to get some BAC track sessions with good numbers during the summer.

I think Shels is already on the case

Wednesday: Recovery run. Have a couple of hard days coming up so took it very easy. 5 miles. 9:10 min/mile. Av HR 73%.

Thursday:

Running tip: Dont eat 4 cadbury snack bars a half hour before you do a session of fast running:P

Felt pretty horrible today. Workout was

1 mile warm up
    2x(2x1000m at tempo pace with 1 minute rests+4x200m with 200m recovery)
    1 mile warm down

This should have been handy but I ate a load of crap pretty close to the session and it just sat on my stomach. Felt like I was going to throw up through the whole thing:rolleyes:. Weather didnt help as it was a miserable day.

Tempo pace was 4:12 for the 1000's and I did the 200's in 41/42 secs. Ran the times I was aiming for but felt like sh1t....only myself to blame:D

Friday:
    Although I usually wouldnt normally do two hard sessions back to back this week is a bit mad so I had to do a faster session today.

Tbh I could've easily skipped this session and was not sure I was going to do it but I felt very fresh today and up to it so decided to go for it.

1 mile warm up
    2x600m with 600m recovery (2:11, 2:12)
    3x400m with 400m recovery (1:27, 1:25, 1:24)
    4x300m with 300m recovery (63, 64, 61, 63)
    1 mile warm down

The workout in Daniels book has a further 6x200m in addition to the above. I could've definitely managed that, workout felt great today, but I felt I have done enough fast running this week. Dont want to go overboard and it just seemed like a lot after a hard session yesterday and an interval session on Monday.

Love the shorter reps though....so much easier than those 1000's;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thursday:

Running tip: Dont eat 4 cadbury snack bars a half hour before you do a session of fast running:P

god i love the bars have one most days, but cant say i ve evr had more than one in a day, what posssessed you to eat 4 before a run?:eek:

kennyb3 wrote: »
    god i love the bars have one most days, but cant say i ve evr had more than one in a day, what posssessed you to eat 4 before a run?:eek:

Quite simple really...I debated with myself wheter to have a small snack bar after lunch. I said sure what harm can it do. I had one. Then I got to thinking "that was quite nice" Ill have one more. So I did. After that one I thought "look I've had two now one more wont make a difference" so I had a third. After that I thought "there's only one more left in the pack, might as well finish it off".

Gluttony of the highest order:D There all gone now though and I wont be buying more. Again I hold my hands up, Im a pig:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

all i can say is :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

kennyb3 wrote: »
    all i can say is :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Im a total binger, I can go ages without chocolate but once I have one bar something clicks and I become Augustus Gloop:D

Sunday: Long run. 10 miles. 8:15 min/mile. Av HR 80%.

Weather was horrible but I felt fantastic so pushed the pace a bit.

Im starting to realise that what you eat before a run is quite important. Usually I end up running on an empty stomach, I dont plan it that way it just usually works out like that because of the way I fit my runs in. Today I had some oatcakes and a bit of jam about a half hour before I went out. The oatcakes are low GI and full of Carbs as well as being pretty light so they seem like they are a good option before a run. Definitely felt a lot better than usual today. Could be all in the head but Ill make more of an effort in future to eat something before I run*.

*Something other than Cadbury snack bars ;)

Tuesday:

1 mile warm up
    5x1000m with 3 minutes recovery
    2 mile warm down

1. 3:51
    2. 3:50
    3. 3:45
    4. 3:47
    5. 3:50

Happy with that. Felt easier than last time (but still very tough). Managed to stay on pace for the last one too which I couldnt do last time. The cinder track is an absolute pig to run on when its wet though.

Wednesday: 5 miles easy. Went out straight after one of my exams and felt pretty drained. 8:45 min/mile. Av HR 70%.

Thursday:

1 mile warm up
    (2x1000m@ tempo pace with 1 minute rest+4x200m with 200m recovery)
    (2x1200m@ tempo pace with 1 minute rest+4x200m with 200m recovery)
    1 mile warm down

OK Ive come to the conclusion that this workout is not as easy as it looks on paper. Very doable but not easy. Sets went as follows:

Set 1:
    1000m---4:12
    1000m---4:11
    200m----42
    200m----42
    200m----41
    200m----41

Set 2:
    1200m---4:57
    1200m---5:01
    200m----38 (Silly boy:P)
    200m----43 (Not that relaxed;))
    200m----40
    200m----40

I thik the work your putting into these sessions is fantastic and keep it up. When is the last exam and I did that in the bank today :D finally

I thik the work your putting into these sessions is fantastic and keep it up. When is the last exam and I did that in the bank today :D finally

Great Stuff.

Last exam is next Friday. Have'nt missed a run yet but I actually find the running is more helpful than anything, I dont think Ive ever been as relaxed doing exams.

Of course Ill probably look a right gimp when I fail everything:P

Friday:

1.4mile warm up
    1x800m with 800m recovery (2:49)
    2x400m with 400m recovery (1:20, 1:24)
    4x200m with 200m recovery (40, 40, 40, 40)
    1.8 mile warm down

My aim on these reps is always to stay as relaxed as possible and never strain. Starting to get pretty comfortable running at a faster pace (the 800's are tough though).

Saturday:
    Easy run. Legs a bit tender today so decided to take it very easy. 4.8 miles at 8:36 min/mile pace. Av HR 72%. Bit surprised at the pace, felt a lot slower and probably should've been a bit slower:p

Sunday:Long run. 10miles. 8:07min/mile pace. Av HR 83%.

Dont like having my HR that high because the long run is not a key run for me so Ill have to take it more easy in future. Last two miles were very very tough due to a combination of tired legs from the weeks running, too fast a pace early on and the hot weather.

Beautiful day though.

Monday:
    Recovery Jog. 5 miles. 9:17 min/mile. Av HR 70%.

Took it easy today. Very gentle jog on grass to give the legs a breather.

Tuesday:
    Fartlek.

1 mile warm up
    5x(2minutes hard, 1 minute easy, 1 minute hard, 30 seconds easy, 30 seconds hard, 30 seconds easy)
    2 mile warm down

I've done this workout before and did'nt really like it so I was going to substitute it for something else but I thought it would be nice to just run hard and not worry about time for a change so decided to do it. I did it on grass over bumpy terrain so that was also a pleasant break from the track.

Actually turned into a very enjoyable workout. Average pace on the hard sections was about 5:50-6 min/mile which I was very happy with.

Another gorgeous day for running....lets hope the trend continues.:D

Wednesday:5.3 miles easy. 8:24 min/mile. Av HR 75%.

Thursday:
    Badly needed rest day.;)

Friday:
    OK people are going to think I did this on purpose:D Had my final exam today so decided to finish up then drive to the park to do an easy 5 miles afterwards. So I got there absolutely dying to run, throw my shorts on, go for my shoes and I realise I have no runners with me:eek: Forgot to throw them in:o So after running through my options (drive home/run in my shiny new everyday trainers) I decided to go barefoot.:D

So off I went, barefoot, shirtless (weather was stunning)...if it was'nt for the milk bottle complexion and pedestrian pace you could've sworn by second name was Cheruiyot:cool:

Have to say it felt absolutely fantastic, felt so natural (almost like the feet were made for running;)) and it makes you wonder why we're running in shoes with soles like phone books.

Run was a faster than usual too. 7:57 pace and subjectively the effort felt very easy. Hard to compare though because I had no HR monitor, I was well rested after yesterday and I was in a very upbeat mood:) Legs feel fine today as well.

Bottom line is it was a great run and felt very good, I may even make it a regular thing over the summer, going for a barefoot run every week or couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Saturday:

1.6 mile warm up
    10x400 with 1 minute rests
    1.3 mile warm down

400's went like this:

1. 1:22
    2. 1:23
    3. 1:23
    4. 1:25
    5. 1:26
    6. 1:23
    7. 1:23
    8. 1:24
    9. 1:22
    10. 1:19

Out of all the workouts in Daniels training plan (and there are some tough ones) he has a note beside this one saying "Dont start out too fast-this is tough". So with that in mind I tried to take it easy for the first five reps. I popped on the spikes for the last three and it gave me a bit of a boost.

I realised what Daniels was talking about by the the 8th rep...the workout just gets harder and harder and by the 8th one I was really pushing to stay on pace. I was dead on my feet for the 9th one and the 10th one was horrible (in a good way):D. Quite happy with the times though. I'll be doing this workout again in three weeks time so it will be interesting to see if the times improve.

Im looking to do a race now. Hoping to do a 5k just to test the endurance and then Ill focus on 1500/800 for the rest of the summer.

Sunday:Long run. 10.3 miles. 8.48 min/mile pace. Av HR 74%.

Legs felt very heavy after yesterdays workout but it was the only chance I could get to do my Long run.

Weather was hot but I refuse to complain about it, Id take a summer of this weather in a heartbeat.

Monday:

Feel awful. Hungover. Decided to take my weekly rest day today, couldnt face running.

Tuesday:Today was a complete disaster. Planned to do 5x1000m but as soon as I left the house I just didnt feel right. Legs felt like stones and I felt completely drained of energy.

I said Id try the workout and see how it goes but when I did the first one in 4:08 (way off pace) I knew I was not going to get anything out of it so decided to jog gently for three miles and add in some strides. Ill do another day of easy running tomorrow and see how I am for the workout on Thursday.

It was strange because I have been feeling good the last couple of weeks. Felt terrific on Friday and Saturday. Naturally I was a little tired on Sunday so maybe I should've given the long run a miss. Definitely was'nt dehydrated and I had a good breakfast a couple of hours before I left.

Sunday night was ridiculous though, completely abused my body and my diet has been sh1te for the last few days so I imagine its down to that. Some good food and a couple of good nights sleep and hopefully Ill be feeling better by Thursday. Ill keep an eye on it though.

Wednesday:Easy run. 5 miles. 8:36 pace. Av HR 76%.

Felt better today. Still feel a little tired but should feel up to the workout tomorrow.

Thursday:Felt much better today, had a really good run.

1.6 mile warm up
    5x1000m with 3 minute recovery jog
    1.4 mile warm down

1. 3:45
    2. 3:45
    3. 3:44
    4. 3:45
    5. 3:48

Times seem to be coming down a bit and getting more consistent. Felt really good and this feels a lot more doable than a few weeks back (but the 5th one was still damn hard). Glad I didnt do this on Tuesday because I was really feeling the heat on the 4th and 5th ones and it was much much hotter on Tuesday.

Decided to have an ice bath afterwards. I know their controversial but my view is a)there is a lot more anecdotal evidence supporting them than solid scientific evidence against them and b)Its actually bloody nice when the weather is this hot:D

Friday:A very slow, boring run. Felt tired after yesterdays workout. 5 miles. 9:06 pace. Av HR 74%.

Saturday:
    Well summers over:rolleyes:

Cant remember many days where I ran in worse weather, made the workout pretty miserable.

1 mile warm up
    2x(2x1000m @ tempo pace+4x200m with 200m recovery)
    1 mile warm down

1000m- 4:14
    1000m- 4:09
    200m- 42
    200m- 42
    200m- 41
    200m- 41

1000m- 4:08
    1000m- 4:13
    200m- 41
    200m- 41
    200m- 40
    200m- 39

Just happy to get some quality running in given the conditions.

Sunday:Long run. 10.2 miles. 8:18 min/mile pace. Av HR 74%.

Legs felt a bit sore for the first mile but once they warmed up the run felt great and it was actually very enjoyable.

Monday:

1 mile warm up
    6x800m with 2 minutes rest
    1 mile warm down

1. 3:05
    2. 3:04
    3. 3:03
    4. 3:07
    5. 3:05
    6. 3:04

Really ****ty workout today. I was out for most of the day and when I got back I was pretty jacked so decided to take a Berrocca before I went out. Now I take one of these everyday and they are fine but I never took one right before running and for the whole run I felt like I swallowed a fvcking basketball.

I debated wheter to give up the whole workout and even tried to force myself to get sick in between reps but it would'nt come up.

Times dont look pretty but they'll do, legs and body actually felt pretty strong aside from the above, which I was happy with after yesterdays long run.

Anyway lesson learned, another one to add to the no-no list before a workout, no Cadbury Snack bars or Berrocca before workouts (although if I had taken both together I probably would'nt have had so much hassle throwing up:P)

Tuesday:6 miles easy. 8:27 min/mile. Av HR 73%

Wednesday:

1 mile warm up
    2x(2x1200m @tempo pace with 1 minute recovery+4x200m with 200m recovery jog)
    1 mile warm down

1200: 4:54
    200: 38
    200: 40
    200: 39

1200: 4:53
    1200: 4:55
    200: 37

Great workout, felt very good throughout which was a relief after Monday. Nice to finally get a workout where Im well fed, well hydrated and the weather is good.:D

Thursday:
    Long run. 10.2 miles. 8:36 min/mile. Av HR 74%. Workouts a bit squashed together this week because Im racing on Sunday. With that in mind I took it extra easy on todays long run so happy enough to keep that pace.

Friday:
    Rest Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Tuesday:6 miles easy. 8:27 min/mile. Av HR 73%

Wednesday:

1 mile warm up
    2x(2x1200m @tempo pace with 1 minute recovery+4x200m with 200m recovery jog)
    1 mile warm down

200: 40

1200: 4:53
    1200: 4:55

Great workout, felt very good throughout which was a relief after Monday. Nice to finally get a workout where Im well fed, well hydrated and the weather is good.:D

Thursday:
    Long run. 10.2 miles. 8:36 min/mile. Av HR 74%. Workouts a bit squashed together this week because Im racing on Sunday. With that in mind I took it extra easy on todays long run so happy enough to keep that pace.

Friday:
    Rest Day.

Well impressed by your training log RunningBing, especially the way your doing the tempo+interval work week2week.
    Got the "Daniels" running book in post yesterday, a lot to take in, but hope to do the red intermediate phase training, have been running two years+never done any tempo work so it'll be interesting!

Good luck in your race on sunday, is it a track race?

Advertisement