Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mill Bridge C&C Pls

• 26-02-2009 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

It was a dull day, so I decided to do a Black-n-white composition. I took 5 exposures and used the HDR option in Photoshop CS3, then boosted saturation and then tried playing around with a few Black-n-White options in CS3, ie. reds, greens etc. In the end I went googly eyed... I printed it off but it had a blue-ish look, but my monitor doesn't show it ! The sky also has streaks in it !(but this happens for any sky HDR photo I've done). I haven't tried Photomatix, but I'm hoping its more user friendly than the CS3 option !
    So......Eventually I just took the best exposure and did a basic Black-n-White & Sepia of it and here are the results. Any C&C / improvements are welcome !
    Also which one do ye prefer:

1. Color (slightly reduced Saturation)

3797841A685D49A39F6642F680035C63-800.jpg

2. Black-n-White

6D5D31AE5CAC45669AB756F4377FF74D-800.jpg

3. Sepia

61219214FE5F44399D88F6B2BDB7415C-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

to pick one i'd personally go for the sepia but...... meh..... it just doesn't grip me to be honest. The sky is your biggest enemy on a shot like this. Same skies have banjaxed me on a number of times. The scene doesn't quite do it for me either i'm afraid - and it probably should. I'm not sure are there better angles possible or is the ruins just too central or too much of the tree (appears a bit like a large blob) on the right.... Yeah, I guess i'm not a fan. I think you'd need a powerful sky to start with to go the hdr route - at least the most powerful ones i've seen have had that characteristic.

Just my thoughts though. Others may appreciate more to it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The sky is your biggest enemy
    ....yep, absolutley nothing there, just pure grey bleakness !! I suppose my main point in posting the 3 pics is to see what processing looks better or grabs the attention. I will re-visit the location on a better day ! I mainly took the photo to try out some HDR but CS3's option is a major bugbear/pain-in-the-ass for me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I commented on your pixie that the sepia was better and it really is by a long shot.what about a crop to about half the tree on the right hand side and maybe crop out the white at the very top of the sky??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Might as well stick the knife in, :P Lovely building but the picture (PP) doesn't come and grab me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

Personally the image itself is bland - as said earlier the sky is BLAH!

In terms of PP, I perfer 2 - although I'd reduce the blueish hue a tad.

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Thanks for the comments........
    I know the pic is a bit plain, I just took it to do a bit of messin around with HDR & Black-n-White processing.
    reduce the blueish hue a tad
    ...this is the bit thats killin me. Where am I getting the blueish hue from, & I'm not seeing it very clearly on my monitor (or on a 2nd monitor either)!!. Is it inherrent in the original pic, as this BW was simply a de-saturation ?
    /Excuse my ignorance in BW conversions....:eek:

Advertisement