Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPhone on the way?

• 26-02-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was thinking of buying the iPhone - but noticed a lot of rumours regarding the release of a new version in June 2009 - maybe best to hold off a few months??

Cheers,
    Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Personally, that's what I am doing.

I would be sick to think I go an purchase a 3G iPhone only for a new one to come out three months later. As happened when I purchased my 1st Gen iPhone last year. :o

The timings seem right - those that purchased the original 1st Gen iPhone in the US had a 2-year contract, which will end in July 2009. So it seems plausible that there would be a new model released at that time to tempt them back into a contract again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I don't think there is anything they can do with the hardware, maybe a better battery. I would expect an iPhone nano.

nialo wrote: »

That's not the rumour.

I can't find the damn thing right now, but it was something based on technical information. If I recall correctly, it was some new iPhone/device ID that showed up in Web logs just before Christmas. Looking at previous iPhone ID numbers, this was a new one, suggesting it was a new device.
    Skyuser wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything they can do with the hardware, maybe a better battery. I would expect an iPhone nano.

They could make it slimmer, perhaps, and most likely update the software. Plus the camera.

As for the nano - I doubt that would be an option, the apps in the App Store would have to be re-written for a smaller screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Wan't it supposed to be a dumbed down one for the Asian market ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

They could make it slimmer, perhaps, and most likely update the software. Plus the camera.

As for the nano - I doubt that would be an option, the apps in the App Store would have to be re-written for a smaller screen.
    I agree; they could make it slimmer, but there’s little else they can add that would be revolutionary.

The iPhone nano idea may be more accurate, as the screen resolution need only stay the same, not the actual size of the screen. Considering there are 2.8” touchscreen handsets, Apple could get away with a 2.5” screen at the same resolution of the existing iPhone models at 480 x 320.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Physical QWERTY keyboard? And making the back of it flat again so it doesn't rock around on a table :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Improve WiFi, add proper GPS, battery (maybe removable ones).. There's a bit they could do. I probably just can't think of more right now :)

Also, iPhone nano? I really think, even for apple, that's stupid. It's at a nice level currently I think.. Any smaller and it gets a bit pointless.
    long_b wrote: »
    Wan't it supposed to be a dumbed down one for the Asian market ?

Yeah, That's it. Dumb down one of the most simple to use pieces of technology around, for the most computer literate continent in the world.

/facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hopefully there is, then i can point and laugh at all the people who bought the 2g, then 3g and now have god knows how many hoops to jump through to get the new one, silly apple consumers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've somehow managed to avoid buying an iPhone so far, although I have come close a few times to clicking "Buy" on the O2 website.

To the OP, I agree with others in that you should wait a few months before buying one. I've been doing a bit of searching and it seems that Apple have been releasing a new iPhone around June/July over the last few years so it's reasonable to assume the same will be true this year.

There's probably a lot of people here who know more about iPhones than I do, but from reading reviews, there's quite a few things they could improve. Apparently the battery is the main gripe and while I can't see the battery suddenly lasting for an eternity, not giving the option to be able to change it seems unreasonable.

Personally, I'd like a 32GB version to appear as there's not enough space on the 16GB for me anyway, to fit all my music. The 32GB iPod touch has been out for quite a while so hopefully a 32GB iPhone isn't far away either.

One thing I was wondering about was how long O2 will have the exclusivity contract for iPhones in Ireland? I'm assuming it doesn't last forever and from my point of view, Apple are losing out a ton of money from having iPhones that would work on any network (without jailbreaking etc).

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Hopefully there is, then i can point and laugh at all the people who bought the 2g, then 3g and now have god knows how many hoops to jump through to get the new one, silly apple consumers

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, then please don't.

On topic, there are plenty of features that could be implemented via a software upgrade (real Bluetooth, copy/paste, etc. ). Hardware wise, it would have to be 32Gb at least, though I am not sure what else they could squeeze in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 El Nino9

Video Camera, MMS, better calendar usage (the ability to create meetings while sending invites to people in your Exchange address book), the ability to forward SMS messages....

Most of these would be software changes, so hopefully Apple can rectify these for us iPhone 3G users!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Software-wise, background processes are badly needed. I've heard all the gripes about the battery but every other smartphone manufacturer manages it.

eAAC+ support would be fantastic too, although it isn't supported on any of the iPod range nor in iTunes, plus it would probably diminish the revenue Apple gets from the larger capacity models, so I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks all for the feedback - looks like I'll wait til June

One/some/all of the following may happen:
    - End of Exclusivity deal (I'm currently Vodafone and don't like the way O2 don't allow unused minutes to be carried over)
    - the 16gb model replacing the 8gb model (and 32 gb becomes available)
    - Better Bluetooth (may then work better with my SE HCB-700 car kit)
    - MMS - I know there are apps out there but this no MMS is a bit of a nuisance

Anyhow, mad to get one now, but for the sake of 3 months will wait in case I miss out on a decent hardware upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

iphone badly needs an update..compared to the Japanese market it's miles behind in technology terms.
    No MMS/crap camera/the fact that you need a pc/mac for it etc.
    Keep thinking of getting one and just repeat the facts above in my head and that stops me.
    Bump the camera to a 5 megapixel with a Carol Zeiss Lens and Xenon flash.
    Get MMS working properly and I might consider it.

Advertisement