Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constructing a block built gable end

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

I have an open ended outbuilding which I am closing off with a block gable end wall. When I get to the top of the gable and meet the gable end roof rafters will the blocks come up and meet the end rafters underneath or will the blocks finish in front of the rafters ?

In either event I will need to cut the blocks to fit the angle of the gable end rafters, how do I cut block ?

Thanks very much for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

few points:
    how big is this wall?
    is it tied into 2 side walls?
    have u piers in wall?
    what blocks are u using?
    --

look at any house with an A gable, the wall finishes inside the last rafter
    if u get a chance browse the homebond manual to see how it is done.

the rows of blocks can be stepped in line with the slope and the steps filled in with concrete/mortor/smaller pieces: could nail a board along tghe inner or outer slope to stop stuff falling out.

blocks can be cut with a consaw or with hammer and wide chisel

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thanks carlow52, that's a great help.

The height at the apex of the A is 4.5 mtrs, no piers, tied into a stone wall either side with brackets, hollow concrete blocks.

Great info' about finishing at the rafters as I thought I was going to have to cleverly cut the last blocks at the same angle as the gable end rafters to meet flush.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

thanks for kind words, maybe use 4" on flat at the edges: smaller steps: hollow a b**ch to deal with

two 4's and a layer of mortar = 9"

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thanks again C52. Also a great tip about the manual, which I shall buy. I didn't know it existed :cool: (I'm new to Ireland)

Cheers

Advertisement