Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncing Cheques....options

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I would appreciate some advice...

I have been given a cheque (€400) by a person and it bounced on lodging. A replacement cheque for this also bounced...They have since issued me with a third cheque with which I have done nothing yet...(they wont give me cash)

Have I any options to obtain this money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Arddon wrote: »
    I would appreciate some advice...

I have been given a cheque (€400) by a person and it bounced on lodging. A replacement cheque for this also bounced...They have since issued me with a third cheque with which I have done nothing yet...(they wont give me cash)

Have I any options to obtain this money?

Since i assume your bank has already charged you twice for the dud checks then i would be relectant to lodge the cheque.

Can you go to the branch that issued it and try to cash it?

In theory writing bad cheques is a criminal offence, you could mentioned to them that you are going to the Gardai or small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Options to obtain the money? It depends what you mean. Are they paying you for a product or service or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Tell him/her that you want a draft. Simple as. A draft won't be issued unless there is money in the a/c therefore it won't bounce. And make sure you add on the cost of the bounced chqs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Cheques dont bounce (such an american term) they are made of paper hmm cheesy i know but its true they get returned unpaid stepbar im shocked lol you should know, but your right.
    Get the person to give you a draft and pay back the charges as well, if they are knowingly writing cheques their ass cant cover they are ripping you off either that or get cash from them but check the notes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

thanks for the advice

Random - its payment for rent arrears.

I will go back and look for a bank draft from this person...failing that I dont really want to go down the court route - have i other options

Given the current financial climate I doubt that if I go into a PTSB branch (they are PTSB cheques) with such a cheque for €400 that they would cash it on the spot...or maybe they would, i really dont know...

• Advertisement
Advertisement