Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prehab

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

I've just gotten over a fairly bad shoulder injury (rotator cuff) and have started trying to build up my bench (dumb bell) press and shoulder press again.
    Just wanted to know what \ if any kind of prehab work you guys do?
    I read a lot of the fitness logs and most of the guys here are going from PB to PB but as I intend on getting back into the MMA I'd like to try to injury-proof myself as much as possible before hand.
    My current routine is something like this, 80Kg male with only 2 days to hit the gym.

Chest & back:
    Dumb bell press 3 x 10 - approx 27.5Kg bells, was 30Kg before injury.

Pull ups 3 x 10 - BW, max is 5 x 5 with 10Kg extra.

Smith machine bench 3 x 10.

1 arm rows: 3 x 10 - max is 5 x 10 w/ 30Kg.

finish off with push ups and bicep work.

Legs and shoulders:
    Squat 3 x 10 - approx 80 - 90 Kg

Military press 3 x 10

Deadlift 3 x 10 - approx 90 - 100 Kg
    or SLDL's 3 x 15 - 30Kg dumb bells.

Seated press 3 x 10

Maybe lunges 3 x 10 - 30Kg bells max

Probably tricep exercise.

Currently looking to review my shoulder workout also, need to improve my shoulder flexibility as I have trouble with pressing straight up.

So I would like to build up the weights but I'm bound to get a few knocks when I start back at the MMA so how do I go about building up my bench / press / squat without fucking up my shoulders / knees?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

If i wer you id stay away from the smith machine as your in a fixed range of motion i found that when i used it my shoulders would be killin the next day. Anyway why would you be doin db bench then smith bench then press ups (i presume the db and smith is flat bench work!) would you not throw some incline db or fly's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I would normally alternate between smith machine benching, incline dumb bell press and flies but as my shoulder has been a bit dodgy the smith machine was the best bet for me. Incline press and flies always put too much stress on the wrong areas of my shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Shoulders used to be a problem for me, they aren't anymore (everything else seems to be though!). Light rotator cuff work as part of my warmup has them feeling really strong. Keep the weights really low. Shoulder dislocates have helped with my shoulder flexibility as well but maybe they'd be a bit too much ROM if you're still recovering.

I'm gradually working up to dislocators, I'd probably be OK doing them now, but don't feel like chancing it.
    Funnily enough, the week I hurt my shoulder was my first time trying R.C. exercises... I've been doing a bit of work with the resistance bands given to me by the physio and some light reverse flies also.

Would you do any prehab on your legs? I'll more than likely be getting a fair few leg kicks / takedowns so want to build them up without weakening the joints.

Foam rolling. God it hurts but you feel good afterwards.

I just saw these vids after replying. Check this shoulder rehab/prehab out.

First vid is Louie doing bamboo bar bench presses with kettelbells on bands:

Check out the other guys struggling

• Advertisement

I've been doing something similar enough to that for my rehab, wall push ups with a tennis ball in my hand. Gives you a really unstable base to work off. I was thinking of incorperating them and something like T-press ups into my work out.
    I usually use very light dumbbells doing the T-press ups, which makes it pretty hard to hold yourself up straight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Slightly OT but I was just wondering, is DB benching easier on the shoulders that BB benching? If they are, is there any obvious disadvantage of DB benching?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Hey Brian, I prefer DB pressing myself. Also the gym I'm in now only has a smith, so I try to avoid that. One of the reasons I said I preferred DB pressing to incline bench / press is down to the nature of the injury I had. Pushing in a forward plane was OK but any variation would upset my shoulder.

Also OT but I googles foam rollers and got this gem of a site: http://www.yogatools.com/blog/?p=69
    The last picture is priceless!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Internal & external rotation exercises specifically target the rotator cuff. Great exercises for preventing future injury of the shoulder ie dislocation.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info / links guys, some great exercises there Mikl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

kevpants wrote: »
    Light rotator cuff work as part of my warmup has them feeling really strong.

What warmup shoulder stuff do you do, if you don't mind me asking.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    What warmup shoulder stuff do you do, if you don't mind me asking.

Not loads just these rotator exercises:

maybe a few shoulder dislocates then start of real light on whatever exercise I'm gonna do for my workset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Eric Cressey wrote a fairly good article on 'bullet proofing' your shoulders a while ago.

Have a read here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Excellent shoulder and back prehab routine.

Advertisement