Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Identification

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Does anybody know what type of tree this is - this photo was taken recently so must be an evergreen of some description.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

I would think its a Eucalyptus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It's a nightmare of a tree (Eucalyptus):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'll go a step further to say possibly Eucalyptus camaldulensis, a smooth bark eucalypt that sheds dead bark annually to leave a smooth surface. Commonly known as a red river gum, it likes its water, hence it may be thriving in Ireland. It grows to approximately 30 metres tall (yes, 30 metres, that's not a typo) and sometimes up to 45 metres, and can live up to 1,000 years in ideal conditions.

If it is a river gum, it'll come into flower annually, bearing fluffy, cream coloured flowers. Ideally they cross pollinate, but if it has to it can self pollinate, resulting in fewer seed and less vigour in seedlings. Seedlings are persistent and gums usually self-seed readily.

The appearance of the trunk in your photographs is a natural state for the tree and not an indication of ill health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

Thanks for the replys all.
    I thought it looked unusual in Ireland at this time of year

Advertisement