Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ww the best way to go?

• 26-02-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there,

Im looking for a bit of help and advice. I was planning to do the celebrity slim diet or something similar so I could loose some of my weight quickly but with job cuts etc I now cant afford it. I was a bit undecided anyway.

For loosing weight is weight watchers really the best way to go? Is there any diet out there that would guarantee me 2 or 3lbs loss a week? Im getting married in 6 months and have about 4 stone to loose. I joined a gym recently (have been going 3 times a week) and also do salsa once a week.

Any suggestions for me? There are so many diets out there at the moment its hard to know what to do or choose? By cutting carbs will I loose quicker?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I bet you're really excited.

As a gold member of WW, and having done every other diet under the sun, I would say that WW is the best route for you to take as it's the only diet that I've done that had lasting results and is easy enough to follow. I've done all sorts of low-carb (Atkins and South Beach) and while I got initial results fast, both of these diets were unsubstainable and after about two or three weeks I was back to eating "normally".

WW is the only programme I've done where I didn't go mad obsessive, and was able to actually eat real, tasty food. And you can eat out pretty easily aswell.

It sounds like you are active and exercising and while no diet will guarantee 2 to 3 lbs a week, WW is your most realistic chance of dropping weight before you wedding, with the least risk of you falling off the wagon. The group support is great and with such an event six months away, your motiviation will be high.

That's my two cents anyway... the very best of luck and let us know what you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I've a sister who is overweight and I have to say that WW is the only thing that's ever worked for her.

The only thing is that it's important to find a leader and a meeting that suits you. For example my sister tried a few meetings to see which one suited her best.

If you're young and in your twenties you don't want to be in a "I eat the kids dinner leftovers" group as it just won't be that relevant to you.

That said if you don't live in a city it may not be feasible. Either way, it's a good way to lose weight and change your life style.

Stay for the chats afterwards and take full advantage of the class to ask questions and really find out the best diet for you and why you over eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tizzy

Hey there

WW has worked very well for me .. having tried many ways i joined WW 6 weeks ago and am now 1 stone 1 lb lighter ...

I keep to my points, track everything and walk 2K almost every day .....

I am really enjoying it and Im eating so much better ,,,, :)

Good luck with your decision ....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

hi thinnyminnie,

congrats on the big day! i 110% cannot recommend WW enough it's given me my life back! i feel great & my weight loss has been a steady 1.5 - 3 pounds per week with one or three hiccups along the way which is only human! i started back at the very end of August & weighed in at 15st 10.5lbs today i weigh 13st 8.5lbs (also have weigh in tonight so hopefully a couple of pounds less again) i've lost 30lbs in total. i've still got 20.5 to hit my goal weight but this is the first time i've ever ever gotten so far on the journey that is WW. it's bloody hard work but it's so so so rewarding!

i would defo agree with other posters find a leader than you like but i wouldn't discount classes with "older" members i'm 24 & i've picked up some of the best tips from these people. also the WW Thread on here it just fantastic if i do say so myself the other boardies are a great support & inspiration to eachother! give it a bash you'll soon see the rewards!!!

oh & a little tip oh whatever journey you decided to go on for your weight loss invest in a digital kitchen scales it will become you're best friend :D

Digital scales in kitchen plus the WW points calculator beside it or in hand bag when im out and about ..... couldnt live without either :D

• Advertisement

Tizzy wrote: »
    Digital scales in kitchen plus the WW points calculator beside it or in hand bag when im out and about ..... couldnt live without either :D

Completely agree. And you don't have to spend a fortune on a scales, I got mine in Lidl for about €12 and it's brilliant. Don't know how I managed before it.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thinnyminnie

Thank you all so much for your replies. Youve more than answered my question. I may try to do it myself at home as Im in the gym or dancing most nights. I have the books but will invest in a digital scales I think.

Ill keep you updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

Thank you all so much for your replies. Youve more than answered my question. I may try to do it myself at home as Im in the gym or dancing most nights. I have the books but will invest in a digital scales I think.

Ill keep you updated!

best of luck - if you need any foods pointed there is the "how many ww points in!" thread as well! :D

Best of Luck with it ...

Bear in mind the attending the meetings can be very encouraging ... our leader encourages us all to share what worked and what didnt .... i have come accross so many little gem recipies and products that are low in points that id never have found on my own .... I have attended all my meeings and I come away so motivated for the week .... ;)

on another note I got my kitchen scales in tesco for 15 euro and its a lovely neat one ... :)

I would really, really recommend making the investment and joining a class (and i'm not affiliated to WW in any way). From my own experience, and that of anyone else I know, doing it by yourself just doesn't work in the long run. Going to a weekly class really keeps the motivation high, and it's amazing the tips you pick up from the classes.

But the really best part of the class, IMO, is that you hear how everyone else has done. Knowing that ordinary women, just like you, have succeeded really encourages you.

As far as I remember, it's a €20 joining fee and €10 per week. That would lead to a cost of €240 in the six months to your wedding. I think that would be a pretty good investment in yourself.

Also, there's a new programme so lots of new folders and books and stuff (again, I'm definitely not working for them - I just like folders and organisers and stuff!).

Some people like to go with others - maybe there's a bridesmaid or a friend who'd like to drop a few pounds too? I always preferred going by myself though.

Again, best of luck whatever you decide to do. I just know from years of experience that making the commitment to sign up and attend the class was definitely the better way to go for me and many others I know.

There's a lot of lunchtime classes around which may help with your schedule.

• Advertisement

The folder is great .... plenty of recipies and ideas to add variety to your diet .....

I loved the book on eating out as I had been avoiding it ... book is great thought me how to eat out and point at same time ;)

Our leader shares her ups and downs with us and its soo encouraging that when you are having a bad day that others are in same bout ... by sharing stories you can learn new ways to cope

I attend with 2 friends which is great ... little competition doesnt hurt either as we all race to lose as many inches as possible :D

I tried to do WW at home using my sisters books and it simply didnt work .. i need the discipline of been weighed by someone else :rolleyes:

Advertisement