Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox Live on separate machines?

• 26-02-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an XBox Elite (may even get one of those sexy red ones if I can find) but was thinking of moving my old xbox up to the bedroom with a wireless adaptor so I can disappear upstairs and go online when Greys Anatomy, ER or Operation Transformation are on the telly!

Can you log on to Xbox Live as yourself on a different machine? I intend transferring my data to the new hard drive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes, you can move the harddrive between two 360's, so you can take it upstairs and log onto your profile there. You can't keep the profile on two drives at the same time, so you need to either take the harddrive upstairs or keep your profile on a memory card.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I also noticed there aswell that if youhave a game installed to the harddrive.. it will only play from that harddrive on the orgional xbox it was installed on..

btw did you get that cable koneko?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

koneko wrote: »
    Yes, you can move the harddrive between two 360's, so you can take it upstairs and log onto your profile there. You can't keep the profile on two drives at the same time, so you need to either take the harddrive upstairs or keep your profile on a memory card.

I was wondering what would happen if you'd copy over the hard drive using Xplorer360 (clone it) and use memory card for save games. That should work

One would have to be careful not to have both of them connected to live at the same time, ban would be possible

Damn, forgot to PM you... Yeah got that, cheers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Thanks guys,

I never thought of moving the hard drives to be honest! That might be the way to go.

Didn't bother with installing games so that shouldn't be a problem.

If I was to go down the memory card route, how do I save my Live profile onto a memory card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I have my profile on a memory card. Think there is an option in the Memory System settings to move your profile from hard drive to Mem card.

Using a memory card is a lot less hassle the moving the hard drive

Sounds good.

Thanks

Yeah, a memory card is much easier, you can bring it around with you as well (should the need arise, like playing at a mates).

While we're on the subject, is there much hassle to tranferring data between hard drives and what's required?

I know some shops will do it for you if you're trading in.

Some stores like Gamestops will do it for you. You can request a cable from Microsoft too but it can take a while (few weeks+). Otherwise you can always get a lend of a cable from someone on here, have lent mine out before and don't mind doing it again and there are a few others doing the same.

• Advertisement

OK

Thanks again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Can you not retrieve your gamertag from the other machine and just sign in each time (obviously not bringing your save games with you)?

My mate plays fifa in my house and he signs in with his Gamercard on my xbox and we play away so he still gets achievments. When he goes him he just signs in as normal and plays away.

Can you not retrieve your gamertag from the other machine and just sign in each time (obviously not bringing your save games with you)?

Well that's kind of what I meant in the first place but wasn't sure you could do that. I know on PSN you can log in on someone elses machine but didn't know if it was possible on Live. The game saves are not an issue

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea as far as I know you just recover your gamertag to the second machine and sign in as normal and all your achievements etc. that you earn are uploaded and will be there waiting for when you sign in on another machine.

Nice one

Thanks for all your help lads.

Think I know what I'm doing now.

Advertisement