Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick and easy healthy desserts..

• 26-02-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Here's a recipe for one of my favorite quick and easy healthy desserts... it tastes like delicious ice cream but is much better for you. It's much lower in calories than typical desserts like cakes or pies, and is also loaded with vitamins and antioxidants.

Here's what I do to make this:

1. Break up 1 to 1.5 ripe bananas into chunks and put into a zip lock bag into the freezer. I usually break up 3 bananas into each ziplock bag and then use half the bag for each time I need them.

2. Whenever you want a delicious frozen dessert with ice cream texture, take the bag of frozen banana chunks out and into a blender or food processor (fyi - this type of ice cream blending never worked for me until I got a really good blender...some blenders just don't cut it for this).

3. Add just a touch of vanilla extract, a couple tablespoons of milk, 1 or 2 teaspoons of organic cocoa powder, 1 or 2 teaspoons of your favorite protein powder, a touch of stevia (if extra sweetness is needed), and possibly a spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter if you desire.

4. Blend the mixture until it becomes the consistency of ice cream (similar to making a smoothie, except since you use less total liquid, it stays more as ice cream consistency). You may need to add a little more milk to get it to blend fully to the right consistency.

You can even top this off with some berries and chopped walnuts or pecans for an extra dose of nutrition and healthy fats that'll do your body good!

Enjoy!

You can also try to use a different frozen fruit instead of the frozen bananas if you want to experiment with different flavors. Frozen strawberries may work well. I happen to like the bananas best because it makes a creamier texture and bananas go great with cocoa and peanut butter!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I could be wrong but I suspect most people don't have a 'favourite protein powder' or, for that matter, any protein powder!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

my kids love the sorbets they do in lidl - think they are €1.99 and come in strawberry, lemon, banana and couple of others cant think of. Havent exactly looked at calorie content but must be lower than icecream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Redpunto wrote: »
    my kids love the sorbets they do in lidl - think they are €1.99 and come in strawberry, lemon, banana and couple of others cant think of. Havent exactly looked at calorie content but must be lower than icecream!

I Love them too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

BaRcOe wrote: »
    a touch of stevia (if extra sweetness is needed)

What's stevia??

My healthy desert would be roast peaches with a small bit of honey, vanilla and cinnamon. Served with natural yoghurt and more honey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I struggle in Lent, as I give up everything - so my dessert is Greek Yoghurt, drizzled with warm honey, toasted almonds. Served in Sundae Dishes. Yummy - I know Greek Yoghurt isn't low fat as such - but it's still better than ice-cream. And I love the Lidl Sorbets too! J

• Advertisement
Advertisement